Closed Thread

Reload Thread: iPad Mini NBS Silverado/Sierra?

eskibro is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

iPad Mini NBS Silverado/Sierra?

So I was talking with a friend today while sitting in my truck about iPad's in the dash, and I thought "If only they made an iPad that fit into a double din slot ". Then I remembered the new iPad Mini! So I whipped out my phone and checked up on the dimensions. I double checked the dimensions of a double-din (7.2" x 4.22"), then I checked that of the iPad Mini and found that it was only slightly larger (7.8" x 5.3" ****!). The ****** thing is, according to those dimensions, it's too big for my dash slot (7.3" x 4.25"). Time to learn how to fabricate a fiberglass dash bezel I guess

What do you use to drive your ipads?

Comments, Ideas, questions?

Falcons is offline that **** i dont like

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Re: iPad Mini NBS Silverado/Sierra?

the best way to do it is hook up your ipad via rca cables to a processor. and then have all your amps hooked up to that processor. another way which i think is kinda cheap unless done in a certain way is move your headunit to a seperate location and connect your ipad mini to that. i personally think that having a head unit with an ipad/ipad mini in the dash defeats the purpse.

Things to look forward to:
    (2) 10" or 12" imperium audio designs subs
    set of PHD MF 6.5" comps
    Completely seal off and deaden my doors
    aquire a 2k amp
    aquire a 2 channel amp for front stage

d77543020 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

i would just run it thru a deck like you would a ipod remember its just a big itouch it will work the same way just hide the deck in the glove box under your seat just about anywhere and it will save you money on buying a expensive processor i dont think it defeats the purpose you can still control audio from the ipad this looks pretty cool https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater

SourDeez is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by falcons03079313 View Post
    another way which i think is kinda cheap unless done in a certain way is move your headunit to a seperate location and connect your ipad mini to that. i personally think that having a head unit with an ipad/ipad mini in the dash defeats the purpse.
    How is that cheap? Thats like, the total right way to do it...

I dont get why people think the ipad is just some end game super computer. Its an ipod touch people. Plugging it into your car gives you NOTHING more than an ipod will give you except a larger screen. Absolutely nothing. Its the wow factor and the ease of use on the big screen.

Its a large ipod. Not a carpc.

Headunit - Stock cassette player - Pioneer P9400
    Front Stage - Pyle 8 inch subs (1000 watt peak!!) - Polk DB6.5 (about to be CDT 6.5s)
    Rear stage - Deleted (stolen) - Deleted
    Sub stage - custom built 15 inch sony xplod (5k watt peak!!!) (huge box) - Two SA12's built by Corey
    Sub amp - Pyle 8000w peak!! (spl edition) - AQ2200
    Electircal - 35 amp alt from ford festiva upgrade, stolen battery, 28 gauge solder coil for my cable - Dual D34 Yellows, 1/0 trystar OFC, 135amp alt

5. Likes d77543020 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SourDeez View Post
    How is that cheap? Thats like, the total right way to do it...

I dont get why people think the ipad is just some end game super computer. Its an ipod touch people. Plugging it into your car gives you NOTHING more than an ipod will give you except a larger screen. Absolutely nothing. Its the wow factor and the ease of use on the big screen.

Its a large ipod. Not a carpc.
    i agree i see so many ipad installs and rarely do i see them ran thru the deck which is the most practical way to do it, all these guys using expensive processor like the audio quality is going to be that much better or something, at least with a deck you could one use Bluetooth from the ipad thats a plus also if you don't feel like bringing your ipad you still have your radio, Bluetooth for your phone or use the cd player,i rather buy a 100 deck then a 700 dollar processor

7. Likes SourDeez liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by d77543020 View Post
    i agree i see so many ipad installs and rarely do i see them ran thru the deck which is the most practical way to do it, all these guys using expensive processor like the audio quality is going to be that much better or something, at least with a deck you could one use Bluetooth from the ipad thats a plus also if you don't feel like bringing your ipad you still have your radio, Bluetooth for your phone or use the cd player,i rather buy a 100 deck then a 700 dollar processor
    Exactly my point.

With all that said, I would love an ipad in my car. But I am not willing to give up a headunit. Mainly for what you pointed out, you can remove your ipad and still use music (fm tuner on headunit, ipod, iphone)

Not to mention my headunit has dual usb ports so i can charge my iphone AND ipad thru it, while playing bluetooth music from a different source.. even a "compact disc" I dont know if you guys have ever heard of those though.

Front Stage - Pyle 8 inch subs (1000 watt peak!!) - Polk DB6.5 (about to be CDT 6.5s)
    Sub stage - custom built 15 inch sony xplod (5k watt peak!!!) (huge box) - Two SA12's built by Corey
    Electircal - 35 amp alt from ford festiva upgrade, stolen battery, 28 gauge solder coil for my cable - Dual D34 Yellows, 1/0 trystar OFC, 135amp alt

Falcons is offline that **** i dont like

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Exactly my point.

With all that said, I would love an ipad in my car. But I am not willing to give up a headunit. Mainly for what you pointed out, you can remove your ipad and still use music (fm tuner on headunit, ipod, iphone)

Not to mention my headunit has dual usb ports so i can charge my iphone AND ipad thru it, while playing bluetooth music from a different source.. even a "compact disc" I dont know if you guys have ever heard of those though.
    thats the point i was making. if you have a headunit and your trying to fiberglass an ipad into the dash, then why not jsut have the hu there and plug in the ipad when you want it? in my opinion the only time its worthwhile to have an ipas glassed into the dash is without a head unit, otherwise, just get a double din touch screen head unit with usb ports or even a 3.5mm jack.

Things to look forward to:
    (2) 10" or 12" imperium audio designs subs
    set of PHD MF 6.5" comps
    Completely seal off and deaden my doors
    aquire a 2k amp
    aquire a 2 channel amp for front stage

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by falcons03079313 View Post
    thats the point i was making. if you have a headunit and your trying to fiberglass an ipad into the dash, then why not jsut have the hu there and plug in the ipad when you want it? in my opinion the only time its worthwhile to have an ipas glassed into the dash is without a head unit, otherwise, just get a double din touch screen head unit with usb ports or even a 3.5mm jack.
    Because the ipad is way better than any double din dash on the market (interface wise)

And it looks way more legit and its alot easier to use if it is mounted, I carry my ipad with me alot in the car but I dont use it in the car. If it was mounted and powered, I would. But i am not willing to give up my headunit.

The ipad should never be treated as a headunit. It should be treated as a source to the headunit (or processor, but thats dumb, because its expensive and you get less options and you cant remove your ipad out of your car)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Because the ipad is way better than any double din dash on the market (interface wise)

And it looks way more legit and its alot easier to use if it is mounted, I carry my ipad with me alot in the car but I dont use it in the car. If it was mounted and powered, I would. But i am not willing to give up my headunit.

The ipad should never be treated as a headunit. It should be treated as a source to the headunit (or processor, but thats dumb, because its expensive and you get less options and you cant remove your ipad out of your car)
    exactly not only can a ipad be removed but you can go online play your apps etc there's no double din that can do as much as a tablet you have to see the ipad for what it is a big itouch the same itouch we all connect to our decks to play music

eskibro is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I completely agree with all of you. I would relocate my deck and run it through that. My ****** little kenwood lets me choose between "hands off" and "hands on" control of the ipod/ipad.

Closed Thread