Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1406 Post(s)

DEX-P99RS Distortion Problem

Today I switched my set up over to 8 way active using the p99rs. Using it in 6 channel operation, I had 0 problems. After we ( @double 07 and I) hooked it up to the MCC406M we started seeing the powerguard lights flash. We hooked up the suspect channel to a DD1 and it shows that there is distortion, which is also causes the powerguards to flash. I did some more investigating and it appears there are two channels (mid right and mid bass right) which are giving distortion at a volume of >40 or so. If I try to run the deck at lower than 40 and increase the gain, the distortion is amplified by the Mc and the powerguards come back on.

I tried reducing the Pioneers SLA (individual source level adjustment) levels, helps but the distortion is still there.
    Triple checked the RCA connections... even replaced the RCA's and the distortion is still there.
    Tried using digital attinuation at both high and low settings.

Anything else I can do, or is sending it off for repairs the only option?

The original owner claimed that he used the deck to check amplifiers. Double 07 suggested that the guy may have damaged some of the circuity by unplugging the RCA's which they were running and connecting/breaking the live circuit damaged them. I am agree with him, but wanted to double check to see if anyone had any other suggestions.

Thanks...

West is offline Banned

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1406 Post(s)

Re: DEX-P99RS Distortion Problem

One last thing. The distortion isn't very strong until I reach 40 watts or so.
    The music doesn't sound bad, a bit clipped, but not god aweful.

tone2222 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Pull the deck, to bench test it connect entirely different amplifiers and speakers too, use different rcas, and a different power source (before sending it off for repairs). Please post your results either way.

DRZ/Zapco Studios/Focal K2P/Audio Control/Orion 2NT

gckless is online now CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1839 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by West View Post
    One last thing. The distortion isn't very strong until I reach 40 watts or so.
    The music doesn't sound bad, a bit clipped, but not god aweful.
    Don't live with it like that. You buy that HU for one of the best SQ head units there are out there. There's a pico fuse on that unit right? I know there is on my 80PRS, and I'm pretty sure they use it on that model too. Could possibly be an issue revolving around that, have seen some weird stories out there. If he was hot swapping he may have damaged it, though it should have blown. Or if he did one of the fixes maybe it wasn't that great, or by bypassing the pico he actually damaged something else in the HU. I think your only option is as stated above, pull it out and test it. The only other thing you got is to send it in. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2566-1999-Chevrolet-Blazer&highlight=1999+blazer

PHD - USA is offline I sound better than you PHD - USA is a Supporting Member of the forum!

PHD - USA is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    695 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gckless View Post
    Don't live with it like that. You buy that HU for one of the best SQ head units there are out there. There's a pico fuse on that unit right? I know there is on my 80PRS, and I'm pretty sure they use it on that model too. Could possibly be an issue revolving around that, have seen some weird stories out there. If he was hot swapping he may have damaged it, though it should have blown. Or if he did one of the fixes maybe it wasn't that great, or by bypassing the pico he actually damaged something else in the HU. I think your only option is as stated above, pull it out and test it. The only other thing you got is to send it in. Good luck!
    There is no pico fuse on the 80 just an fyi, they replaced it with a capacitor.

PHD Audiophile Systems Dealer

gckless is online now CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1839 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ge_off_me View Post
    There is no pico fuse on the 80 just an fyi, they replaced it with a capacitor.

Mind = Blown. Do you have evidence of this somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2566-1999-Chevrolet-Blazer&highlight=1999+blazer

PHD - USA is offline I sound better than you PHD - USA is a Supporting Member of the forum!

PHD - USA is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    695 Post(s)

I have my own deck that has a whine, I took it out and followed the ground traces and found out for myself. The capacitor is a pain in the ***. I soldered a ground wire to the chassis, but there is still a small whine, the capacitor itself is more than likely the problem now.

PHD Audiophile Systems Dealer

West is offline Banned

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1406 Post(s)

No pico fuse on the p99rs. I sent it in for inspection/repair. I am awaiting their reply. I think I will be switching out all my rca cables either way. Also sent the amp in for inspection. So we will see.

West is offline Banned

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1406 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tone2222 View Post
    Pull the deck, to bench test it connect entirely different amplifiers and speakers too, use different rcas, and a different power source (before sending it off for repairs). Please post your results either way.
    Distortion was coming for a loose speaker connection. P99rs is OK lol

Closed Thread