Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Kenwood KDC - x996 issues....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Kenwood KDC - x996 issues....

I am experiencing difficulties with a new x996.....

I just hooked it up today (correctly, I believe) and I seem to not be getting signal out for the front otuputs. I can barely hear music through the front speakers.....when the sub outs are hooked up, they seem to play fine.

Here is the set up......X996 out to two amps, one Alpine for the subs (seems to work fine)....front outputs to a Polk MOMO 300.2 (was just working with the other head unit). I am not getting a full signal out to the 2 channel, I do not think. Volume at max on the head unit and gain set up to 75% is barely audible Through the front speakers now....was fine before this new head unit.

I have checked and rechecked my wiring and it looks good (same as when it was working with the last head unit).

Is there anything that Kenwoods are known for that would cause this? Has anyone else received a defective unit when purchasing new?

I hope I explained myself clearly enough for everyone to understand and help if possible.....

keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)

Re: Kenwood KDC - x996 issues....

assuming the RCA's aren't bad, the HU may have an issue. did you connect to front or rear preouts? where is fader set?

usually when music is "barely audible at max volume" there isn't any output from the connected RCA's and what you hear is bleed-through from other channels - or crossovers are cancelling each other.

what if you connect the sub preouts to the 300.2 inputs (and defeat any crossover). verify the 300.2 crossover is HPF and not LPF by accident.

is there a LPF activated on the HU outputs you are using? i would defeat (flatten) any crossovers.

have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

My 2014 Accord build log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?6722-KHA-2014-Accord-Sport-SQ-Factory-Integration
    ***My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkYUo2EShW9lgtrfXiDvLNQ/videos
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html

rebelliondog206 is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yep......found the problem after a good night's sleep.

You were right on the mark about bleedthrough.

Rookie mistake......looking at all the wiring must have had me confused. I simply had the the ends of my signal cables marked wrong and therefore was plugging / swapping them wrong.

Kenwood KDC - x996 first impression: This thing kicks a**. Adjustments for everything imaginable and sounds considerably better than the budget unit I replaced. Little glare on the face as is in just about all the reviews. I'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the reply.

ewadz3006 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

I have the same head unit, the glare is absolutly horrible. I really dont like the ipod controls either. Just my .02

I feel sorry for those who do not drink, when they wake up on the morning that's the best they're going to feel all day.-Frank Sinatra

2004 mercury mountaineer
    Hu Kenwood excelon x996
    Fronts Incriminator audio comps
    Front amp Aq 120.4
    sub amp Aq2200d
    subs 2 sundown sa 12's @ 32hz
    wiring knu 1/0 ofc

Closed Thread