Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Double Din HU

Exist_ential is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Icon14 Double Din HU

Not really feeling my Jensen vm9224bt dvd HU anymore. i really don't need dvd capability. Its a great HU if you want DVD, SD, USB, Bluetooth, touchscreen, iPod\iPhone but i dont need Bluetooth or dvd and in all honesty probably don't even need iPod either.

With that being said this thing will soon be for sale and i now need recommendations for a new HU.

Must have
    double din MUST MUST MUST i will not put a single din in a double hole
    usb
    sd up to 32gb or the ability to attach a hard drive of any size.
    mp3
    touchscreen optional
    built in HD would be great but not necessary
    ability to change the lighting would be great but not a deal breaker
    front, rear, sub out
    4v out

budget is ~$250 but absolutely must be less than $275 with shipping
    New or used is fine

so what is out there for me to look at?

HU-- Jensen vm9224bt double din
    Sub -- T3 TSS custom built by Corey Dean
    Amp -- American Bass XD3000

refs: mylows10, princ3cmo, cthedinger, cjwoods, nuboot, evilsaint, skaraudio x2, brodeisel, omegabunny x2, Louisiana_CRX

if i helped you out please remember to click thanks.

maylar is offline Electrical Weenie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Re: Double Din HU

Dunno any double dins with an SD slot. I have a JVC KW-HDR720 and it has most of your features except it has 2.5v preouts.
    Pioneer FH-P8000BT is probably the best double din in that price range but doesn't have HD radio.

dave
    ----------
    1999 Buick Park Ave Ultra
    Head Unit: JVC KWHDR720
    EQ: Audiocontrol EQL
    Front Stage: Hybrid Audio Technologies Imagine 5.25 mids, Morel Maximo tweets
    Sub Stage: Boston G3 10", 0.5 cu ft sealed
    Amp: PPI Phantom 900.4
    Rear Fill: Boston SE953 6X9's

Exist_ential is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

sd not a must as long as it has 2 usb

hd not a must either.

i was looking at the pioneer i might get it if i can find it under 300 shipped

HU-- Jensen vm9224bt double din
    Sub -- T3 TSS custom built by Corey Dean
    Amp -- American Bass XD3000

refs: mylows10, princ3cmo, cthedinger, cjwoods, nuboot, evilsaint, skaraudio x2, brodeisel, omegabunny x2, Louisiana_CRX

if i helped you out please remember to click thanks.

rjay is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've got this, JVC KW-R900BT, and really like it. Doesn't have an sd slot or HD radio, but it does have 3 preamp outputs 5v each, 5 band eq, adjustable illumination, front and rear usb (which has 1a of current to charge whatever is connected to it) , built in ipod/iphone controls, lp/hp crossovers, and time alignment. Packs alot of good features for only $249 from Crutchfield.

My simple but pleasing setup

Kenwood Excelon KDC-X497 HU
    Rockford Fosgate Punch P1000X5D 5 channel amp
    CDT HD62im front components w/ CDT 550i crossovers
    Image Dynamics IDQ10D4v3 sub (sealed enclosure)
    Audio Technix Sound Deadener
    Knu Konceptz Kolossus 4ga amp kit

Ridinhi is online now CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rjay View Post
    I've got this, JVC KW-R900BT, and really like it. Doesn't have an sd slot or HD radio, but it does have 3 preamp outputs 5v each, 5 band eq, adjustable illumination, front and rear usb (which has 1a of current to charge whatever is connected to it) , built in ipod/iphone controls, lp/hp crossovers, and time alignment. Packs alot of good features for only $249 from Crutchfield.
    hmm,been eyeing this h/u for some weeks now. Happy to hear you like it. Thinking about getting one of these for myself. You like the eq on it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ridinhi View Post
    hmm,been eyeing this h/u for some weeks now. Happy to hear you like it. Thinking about getting one of these for myself. You like the eq on it?
    Yeah I like it, I'm still messing with some of the settings and trying to fine tune it. When I first got it installed, I didn't seem to care for it because it had so many settings you can adjust, I wasn't used to all that! But now after playing with it, I'm really satisfied with the unit and glad I kept it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maylar View Post
    Dunno any double dins with an SD slot. I have a JVC KW-HDR720 and it has most of your features except it has 2.5v preouts.
    Pioneer FH-P8000BT is probably the best double din in that price range but doesn't have HD radio.
    my AVH-P3300BT has SD on the front with 3x 4V preouts.

For a budget of $250, you are going to have to look at off brand stuff or used. The jenson single DIN flip screens costs $300 alone.

BOYCOTT SKAR AUDIO!
    2012 TNESPL R2 WORLD CHAMPION
    TNESPL R2 ALL TIME RANKINGS RECORD HOLDER

TEAM

TEAM LOUD INTENTIONS
    www.youtube.com/TeamLoudIntentions

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Kenwood makes a nice double din with pandora,bt, youtube, hd, usb and more for around $330. I cant remember the exact model but I would buy a kenwood over JVC anyday.

BOYCOTT SKAR AUDIO!
    2012 TNESPL R2 WORLD CHAMPION
    TNESPL R2 ALL TIME RANKINGS RECORD HOLDER

TEAM

TEAM LOUD INTENTIONS
    www.youtube.com/TeamLoudIntentions

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think JVC and Kenwood are pretty much the same now, since they joined/or were bought out by Kenwood.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yeah I like it, I'm still messing with some of the settings and trying to fine tune it. When I first got it installed, I didn't seem to care for it because it had so many settings you can adjust, I wasn't used to all that! But now after playing with it, I'm really satisfied with the unit and glad I kept it.
    Think im going to get one,thats if something else dont catch my eyes first. Dont really care about cosmetics soo much,more into features but I hope this unit looks better in person. Thing is very plain. Looks better on some sites than others. But as long as the eq is nice,i will be happy with it

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ridinhi View Post
    Think im going to get one,thats if something else dont catch my eyes first. Dont really care about cosmetics soo much,more into features but I hope this unit looks better in person. Thing is very plain. Looks better on some sites than others. But as long as the eq is nice,i will be happy with it
    I like the button layout myself, I like the simplicity. Some units seem to have so many small buttons, or too big or small of a turning dial and some look just plain cheesey! But I will say, in the pics I've seen of this unit, they have the color set for blue buttons with white display. The white display is no where near the bright white as in the pic, unless I'm just missing something, but I've tried to duplicate it and it comes out to more of a bluish white color. Wasn't a huge deal since I just put buttons and display color to an orange that matched my lighting. But unfortunately the way my HU is placed in my Sentra, it catches alot of glare and makes it hard to read in the sunlight (even with windows tinted). So I was going to try the bright white, thinking it would show up better but I couldn't get it like the pictures. The HU placement is one thing I dislike about my car, it has it at a slight angle and makes it hard to read in the daylight. I've gone through 3 different units, so it's not just the JVC, it's just poor placement by Nissan!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I like the button layout myself, I like the simplicity. Some units seem to have so many small buttons, or too big or small of a turning dial and some look just plain cheesey! But I will say, in the pics I've seen of this unit, they have the color set for blue buttons with white display. The white display is no where near the bright white as in the pic, unless I'm just missing something, but I've tried to duplicate it and it comes out to more of a bluish white color. Wasn't a huge deal since I just put buttons and display color to an orange that matched my lighting. But unfortunately the way my HU is placed in my Sentra, it catches alot of glare and makes it hard to read in the sunlight (even with windows tinted). So I was going to try the bright white, thinking it would show up better but I couldn't get it like the pictures. The HU placement is one thing I dislike about my car, it has it at a slight angle and makes it hard to read in the daylight. I've gone through 3 different units, so it's not just the JVC, it's just poor placement by Nissan!
    Guess thats where the h/u's that have the option for different angles would work better for you. Anyhow,think im going to give this Jvc a try and let you know how I like it.

NCHornet is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I had the JVC KW-NT700 installed in my truck a few years ago. The IPOD interface was horribly slow, but I lived with it by putting all my music on a SD card. Then last Winter I noticed the headunit would not power if it was cold. Once the heat was on and warming up the cab the head unit will come alive. It was a nice unit but I don't believe they are selling that particular model any longer. I ended up buying the new Pioneer avic -z140BH and had it installed last week. This is a sweet head unit. The sound quality is great even in stock configuration. I am still learning all the things this head unit is able to do.

07denali is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    I had the JVC KW-NT700 installed in my truck a few years ago. The IPOD interface was horribly slow, but I lived with it by putting all my music on a SD card. Then last Winter I noticed the headunit would not power if it was cold. Once the heat was on and warming up the cab the head unit will come alive. It was a nice unit but I don't believe they are selling that particular model any longer. I ended up buying the new Pioneer avic -z140BH and had it installed last week. This is a sweet head unit. The sound quality is great even in stock configuration. I am still learning all the things this head unit is able to do.
    Is this the one with Nav? I was considering that HU but I hear pioneers nav is terrible compared to Kenwood or even Sony. Those companies use garmin and tom tom. Not sure what pioneer uses. How do you like the HU and its functions like nav?

Closed Thread