Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Kenwood vs Pioneer

cwehrer707 is online now Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Kenwood vs Pioneer

Another noob question, and I searched but couldn't find an answer. I'm looking to upgrade to a dd in my Camry, and i'm stuck between the Kenwood ddx318 or the Pioneer avh-p2300. I have a budget of $350 (when taxes come in, I need to get tires) I don't need bluetooth, but would like the option of upgrading to nav. I asked my car installer what I should get and he said the 2300 has alot of problems and its an older model, also watched youtube vids on it and one guy said he kept popping fuses. He also said I should look in the Jensen vm9224 and that he sells alot of them and nobody has came back with problems. Which one should I look into? Sorry for long read

Bettr n' Revrse is offline I do what I want

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Re: Kenwood vs Pioneer

The fuse he is referring to is called the pico fuse which pops due to hot swapping RCA cables... Pioneer makes nice stuff but IMO there build quality has gone way down and they feel cheesy to me where as my kenwoods have felt very solid...

Western Rep.

99 Honda CRV: (Always Changing) ___________ 79 F-150: Show Truck ________________
    -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100________________ -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100
    -Sub Stage: Sundown SD-2 8's sealed________ -Sub Stage: Looking
    -Mids/Highs: Deciding_____________________ -Mids/Highs: Scan Speak & Blaupunkt
    -Sub Amp: MMATS Hifi 6 channel____________ -Sub Amp: American Warrior Set (Zed Built)
    -Mid Amp: ^^^ 5/6 bridged at 1 ohm_________ -Mid Amp: ^^^

dross93ranger is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I love my Kenwoods....thats all I buy

2000 Astro on 20s - Kenwood X595, Audiocontrol Three.1, JL Audio 10W7, Audiopipe APSM-1500, Hifonics Titan TXI6408, Powerbass 4XL 6.5" Mids, DB Drive S3 T1 Tweeters, Optima Yellow Top, Shuriken BT-60

Slammed 99 S10 - Kenwood HU, Arc Audio PEQ, 8" Type R (Ported), Cadence Components, Hifonics TXI 2-Channel, RE DTS500.2

Bagged 93 Ranger - Work in progress - Sony HU, Sundown E8v1 (Ported), APSM-2075, Powerbass 3XL Mids, Crescendo CTS-1 Tweeters

Sleeklsc is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

I love my 3200dvd minus the push button volume. I'm a rotory type of guy.

It has all the adjustments you'd ever really need imo.

Ref's:1. Midwestcustoms 1.5. Desertheat 2. Mjbailey 3. Terryracing86 4. Sickmint79 5. Untouchable11 6. mattj 7. Ssweet96 8. Kool9accord 9.Kristinspapi10. Kmhogan224 11. Alpine3612 -x3- 12. Vectork39 13. Livinlife 14.Chriscivic 15. Violentraptor 16. Ricky616 17. Bassaddictj 18.orioles26 19.Khail19 20. jak3th3snak311 21. Myjaja 22. Springy101 x2 23. Ali1 24. Privatepastry 25. Plus about 10+ more..

cwehrer707 is online now Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the input everyone, now i'm looking at the Pioneer avh-p1400 or the Kenwood ddx319

ejschultz is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

To not blow that pico fuse, don't be dumb. That's all it takes. As a precautionary measure, you should never hot swap RCAs in the first place. If you drive like a jag and something moves and an RCA pulls out, that's just as stupid as hot swapping them. As long as you don't pull one while the HU is on, you're golden. With that being said, either way you go, you're going to have a quality head unit. Other than stupid people messing them up, I haven't seen either one with more issues than the other.

94 Caprice Classic LS: DEH-P800PRS, TS-C720PRS, MRV-F545, MRD-M1005, 2 Fi X 12s in 2.5 net cubes sealed; 97 Grand Cherokee TSi: CDA-9855, TS-D1720C, MRV-F345, MRD-M605, SWX-1043D in .54 net cubes sealed

Resident Jeep Expert, Mother Fucker

bigbangtheory is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

^^^^that and dont keep your car on when swapping speakers and not pay attention to the wire hitting metal, lol; you will have RCA problems......

I just installed my new 9400 BH Pioneer and it is amazing and I just came from a Kenwood x-595, which is also a nice deck, but didnt sound no where near as good as this Pioneer.

They are both 4v pre-outs as well....

Refs~Max Power(ST), bnevets27(ST), 99oldsintrigue(ST), matrxx dude(BF), Ficaraudio(BF), Zachzchw(BF), tigerf117(ST), 5.7TBI(BF), DBfan187(ST), Joesph M(ST), 97gp(ST), Cornbreadxd(ST), SlappinX(ST), nycspudz03(ST), bl0ckd(BF), Sctattooer(ST), hitman34608(ST), Wackdogg(ST), ggk(ST), 03F150MrSBF(STx2), Dye4metal(ST), Mikey7182(BF), Wu501(BF), Twisted_0912(BF), Crunklech(BF), psychoacoustics(BF), Tyler Chavez(ST), GTO Dave(ST), Thisistiny(ST), DarkScorpin(BF), davidtemple(BF), BassaddictJ(BF), Geoff_off_me(BF), Dragnix(BF)

BF=Bought from
    ST=Sold too

Why So Cereal? is offline Invisible Cereal

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

I just took my pioneer 3200dvd out of my tc today to put in the Burban....zero issues with it. Even hot swapped RCAs and nothing happened. I love Pioneer HUs. Kenwoods are my least favorite brand outside of flea market crap. The touch screens were way off in my experience and they wont play any CD outside of store bought albums.

destined2race is offline Already Being Used....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

i have the kenwood in my blazer right now and its a decent unit. I got online for $250 new and it was a good buy. For the price it has good features. It only has 2 sets of preouts, but the rear is a switcheable non fader w/ a 4v preout. The only thing i dont really like is it is REALLY slow to load mp3 discs. Even once the disc loads its pretty slow to go from track to track. I think with my phone plugged in to do mp3s that way its not as bad. Gets annoying quick tho. Other than that for the price its a good unit.

Headunit - Kenwood DDX 318 4v double din
    Front Stage - JL Audio c2 6.5 comp set
    Rear Stage - Jl Audio VR 6" comp set
    Front stage amp - OS Sony (.005 THD Rated)
    Sub Stage - 2 10" IDs 1cu sealed per
    Sub Stage Amp - Boston Acoustic GT-28
    Big 3, SVR800 Batt, JL Blue Line Rca's, 0 ga JL kit
    Refs - The_Grimy_One, Deusle, zach90z, shineman08, Orion 2500D

tat2bass is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cwehrer707 View Post
    Thanks for the input everyone, now i'm looking at the Pioneer avh-p1400 or the Kenwood ddx319
    I just bought the Pioneer avh-p1400. Haven't used it but I had a Pioneer 3300dvd and loved it. I keep all my music on an ipod and tuck my wires and ipod away and control it throught the H/U and like princ3cmo said the touchscreen controls on the Kenwoods are just not up to par. I sold my old accord and got an 09 camry and put a kenwood ddx616 in it and just didn't like it as much. It had horrible lag on my ipod controls. But bypassing the DVD locks on the kenwoods are much simpler. But I will be sticking with Pioneers myself

11. Dislikes MisterDeadeye disliked this post
Closed Thread