Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Need help with a good, cheap double DIN head unit

TerryInLeesburg is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon32 Need help with a good, cheap double DIN head unit

I am looking to upgrade the head unit in my 99 Altima GXE.

Already replaced the speakers with Infinity Reference ones.
    Have a powered sub in the back (Bazooka Tube).

Looking at this Head Unit : JVC-KW-HDR720

JVC KW-HDR720 CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

Due to budget constraints (aka lack of money) I cannot spend a lot of money. I would like to spend around $200, but I would like as good a sound as I can get, for the money. I know this is not a lot, and I will not get a "fantastic" system. I understand that. I am looking for something a lot better than the stock OEM unit. I would like AUX / USB inputs on the front. HD radio would be a plus, but not necessary.

I am open to other suggestions - I am new to this (this is my first stereo upgrade), and I look at it as a stepping stone to a better system when i can afford it (which will not be for a few years).

Let me know what you think, and your recommendations...

Thanks
    Terry

maylar is offline Electrical Weenie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Re: Need help with a good, cheap double DIN head unit

I have one of those JVC 720s and it's OK. I like the JVC's front USB port, it plays MP3s from a flash drive quite nicely. The display can be set to match your dash lighting color too. Separate sub preout is a plus, I can turn the subs off when I have rear seat passengers.

The HD radio is great if you're close to the stations (urban distances) but the receiver isn't very sensitive and it loses sync easily. It gets annoying sometimes. CD playback is excellent. Only a 3 band EQ (boo) and one level of loudness contour - it's not an SQ deck.

And the damm thing doesn't display time when power is off.

The Pioneer (model 8000 I think) is a better deck all around but cost more, and I read that it's deeper and doesn't fit some dashes. Not too many options in double DIN out there. Overall I'm satisfied.

dave
    ----------
    1999 Buick Park Ave Ultra
    Head Unit: JVC KWHDR720
    EQ: Audiocontrol EQL
    Front Stage: Hybrid Audio Technologies Imagine 5.25 mids, Morel Maximo tweets
    Sub Stage: Boston G3 10", 0.5 cu ft sealed
    Amp: PPI Phantom 900.4
    Rear Fill: Boston SE953 6X9's

Pataforce8 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Need help with a good, cheap double DIN head unit

Check out the Kenwood excelons. I got a great deal on the x794 (~$150) when the next version (x895 I think) came out.

Edit: You might not like this deck unless you're running a dedicated speaker amp. The internal amp will overheat when turned up loud for a while and it will lower it's own volume.

Power is nothing without control.

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer-seller-feedback/507941-pataforce8s-feedback-thread.html

Closed Thread