So, I have been searching for the perfect HU for a while now, a long while. I have some, what I believe to be, unusual requirements (maybe not) for that perfect HU. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction.
My desired features are as follows: (most desirable first)
- large and easy to read text / tag display (preferably 2 or more lines)
- rear USB capable of reading both flash drives and portable USB hard drives (not as important as the flash drive)
- fast processing of large flash drives (I hear that this can be an issue)
- Unicode support (the big issue!) I need to be able to display non western characters.
- playlist support if possible
- prefer a HU that is not absolutely gaudy. (have an old JVC KD-SH909 and love the simplicity of it)
- prefer a single din but will substitute a double din.
- don't care about bluetooth, ipod control, front USB, etc...
Basically I want a HU that plays Unicode tagged MP3s from a flash drive and showing as much tag info as possible.
My budget is (as cheap as possible) in the sub $300 range. I have been searching and searching as many different sites as I can with little luck. It is hard to find information on Unicode support and how fast a HU reads a USB drive. I have looked into DVD HUs, CD/MP3 HUs, digital media receivers, and entertained the idea of building a car PC (there are still issues with this option).
I need a little guidance or for someone to tell me that I will never find a HU that will fir my criteria.
Thanks in advance for your replies