Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)

Need some opinions/information on EQs

I've never had an EQ set up in my sound systems before. From what I understand about them which is very little, is that they can improve sound quality and sound stage. I would like my sound stage to be expanded more. In your opinion how much does a difference is made by having an EQ hooked up and properly tuned make? Also can you get anywhere close with the EQ off of the HU?

i2ain2thunder is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)

Re: Need some opinions/information on EQs

bump cuz i posted too early

VWBobby is offline PG and SS nuthugger

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    150 Post(s)

The advantage, for me, is to be able to scoop or boost certain bands that the speakers don't reproduce well. Lets say you have some speakers that have a lot of upper-mid noise 500-1000hz, you can scoop that out by turning down your EQ in that band -1 to -10db. If you have a weak tweeter, you can boost the highs, etc.

Most people prefer to buy a "flat" sounding set of speakers and use the HU or amps filters for minor tuning. If you have the room, an EQ can dial in the perfect tone, imho.

oldguy is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I've used them for years. I've had a few different systems over the years, that I didn't have an external eq, and they sounded great.
    Most times, I can't get it where I want it with just the hu...

I have a Dodge club cab pickup and about 4 years ago, I had Polks put in the front and rear doors.
    I ddecided to try something different besides Alpine, and had a Pioneer 590 installed.
    When I left the shop, I couldn't believe how disappointed I was with the sound. I started using Polks in 1990, and knew they should sound better than they did. After I got home, I went into the menu and found a 7 band eq built into the hu. WOW.... Huge difference. It transformed the speakers to an entirely different level. Rich, full, good solid mid bass and crystal clear highs.

The hu always felt cheap, and I hated the menu, so I went back to Alpine. I even have an Alpine 3331 eq installed, and I never have gotten the system to sound like it did before, with the Pioneer.

whitedragon551 is online now Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1188 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VWBobby View Post
    The advantage, for me, is to be able to scoop or boost certain bands that the speakers don't reproduce well. Lets say you have some speakers that have a lot of upper-mid noise 500-1000hz, you can scoop that out by turning down your EQ in that band -1 to -10db. If you have a weak tweeter, you can boost the highs, etc.

Most people prefer to buy a "flat" sounding set of speakers and use the HU or amps filters for minor tuning. If you have the room, an EQ can dial in the perfect tone, imho.
    Never boost. Always cut.

Secondly I wouldnt mess with an external EQ. I would get a HU with active capabilities. I have yet to see an EQ with time alignment features and its a pretty rare find to find one where you can adjust the slopes, but an active capable HU often times comes with all 3 features.

CA.com FAQ's
    CA.com TOS Agreement
    Forum Rules

HU: ///Alpine 9887, KCE-400BT, KCE-433IV, KTX-100EQ Imprint, 8Gb iPod Touch
    Front Mids: Eclipse SC6500
    Front Tweeters: Morel made Xtant 28MM Silks
    Subs: Audiomobile Evo 10" TC2+
    Enclosure: 1.1 Cubes sealed with 10 Ounces Poly Fill
    Amp: Audio Systems Twister F6 380 III

Closed Thread

User Tag List