Closed Thread

Reload Thread: setting gain... 3/4 of volume question

srch4aresn is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

setting gain... 3/4 of volume question

im going to have a new setup soon( cant decide to make a box for my 15 l5 or buy a local 13w6 in box) but i was reading over the 500/1 manual and it says when setting gain with voltmeter to have the volume at 3/4 volume etc etc

i have a alpine 9856 which goes to volume 35. the highest i play my music is 22, but 3/4 volume is like 27 or so. so should i set the volume 3/4 of the max volume at ~27 or 3/4 of my max volume that i use at around ~17 or so?

96 impala ss 40k
    95 caprice 39k

bought from: BlackFx4inTN - stephens30228 - mylows10 - jar1zx

IonRL205 is offline DJ h4z4rdes IonRL205 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Re: setting gain... 3/4 of volume question

They normally say 3/4 of the max volume because your deck can send a clipped signal if you set it higher. If 22 is your max volume you're going to listen to, then set your gain to that, or maybe a couple notches higher (like 24 or so) in case you do decide to turn it up a bit more.

Headunit - Pioneer DEH-P8300UB
    Subs - None
    Sub Amp - 2x Crescendo 3kwp
    Front Stage - Polk Audio db651 Coaxial
    Front Amp - None

Quote Originally Posted by zako View Post
    Most properly done 15 inch subwoofers are not suited for car audio use simply due to box size requirements.

wickedwitt is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

If you can get a hold of a O-scope your best bet is to down all your gains on mids/highs and sub amp and individually see where the deck begins to send a clipped signal. Move down 1 from that, and then set your amps at that volume then never go past that volume. If you can't get a O-scope, find a 1000hz tone and try to listen for a change in that tone. Back it off from that tone (1000hz is where the human ear is most sensitive so it's best to audibly hear distortion) and move from there. For the subs, 40hz is the boosted signal on the amp and deck so that's the tone to find a clip, since is will most normally be the most powerful tone to the subs.

Stupid Loud.

subzero is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by srch4aresn View Post
    im going to have a new setup soon( cant decide to make a box for my 15 l5 or buy a local 13w6 in box) but i was reading over the 500/1 manual and it says when setting gain with voltmeter to have the volume at 3/4 volume etc etc

i have a alpine 9856 which goes to volume 35. the highest i play my music is 22, but 3/4 volume is like 27 or so. so should i set the volume 3/4 of the max volume at ~27 or 3/4 of my max volume that i use at around ~17 or so?
    Amplifier Installation Tips

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wickedwitt View Post
    If you can get a hold of a O-scope your best bet is to down all your gains on mids/highs and sub amp and individually see where the deck begins to send a clipped signal. Move down 1 from that, and then set your amps at that volume then never go past that volume. If you can't get a O-scope, find a 1000hz tone and try to listen for a change in that tone. Back it off from that tone (1000hz is where the human ear is most sensitive so it's best to audibly hear distortion) and move from there. For the subs, 40hz is the boosted signal on the amp and deck so that's the tone to find a clip, since is will most normally be the most powerful tone to the subs.
    X2

If you are going to build a ported enclosure be sure to turn on the infrasonic filter.

Quality is derived from experience and time, not price.

Closed Thread