Closed Thread

Reload Thread: How much amp and what configuration?

klingcam is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

How much amp and what configuration?

Right now I'm working with a stock system in my 2002 Honda Odyssey. Most of my time is spent carting around my mini-me's. But when they're not in the car, I want some decent tunes, and the stock head unit and speakers aren't cutting it: as soon as I start to crank it, the bass is non-existent. Not looking to rattle any windows or my license-plate frame, but need an upgrade.
    I'm thinking of the Kenwood KDC-X494. Definitely want to replace the rear 6 1/2's with some decent coaxials (that can put out some bass), but thinking of leaving the front door/dash component stock setup. It seems like a big hassle trying to get those tweeters and their wiring out.
    Would like to hear anyone's opinion(constructive) on perhaps getting only a 2-chan amp(maybe 60W/ch rms into 4 ohms) and powering only the rear speakers. Or, is 4-chan the only way to go? Also, any recommendations on the amp and rear coaxials?
    Again, this is essentially a soccer-mom van except I'm a dad, and my kids don't play soccer, so I'm not going big-budget on this. Any feedback would be great. Thanks.

winkychevelle is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    742 Post(s)

Re: How much amp and what configuration?

a decent set of comps and coaxials on a four channel would make a world of difference and as for not changing the front speakers because of difficulty well thats up to you but thats where i start changing spreakers. do be intimidated it really isnt that hard to do just take your time and do it right. my equipment id put in first would be a set of pioneer d series comps on the front channels of a good 4 channel in the front door after that you might not want to do any thing else these mid in this set put out some impressive bass

2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel
    Big sq install on the horizon if money stays good
    2012 Nissan Versa Hatch
    Deadened but stock, girls ride now

michaellane is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    391 Post(s)

well first is it the bass that youre lacking? if you just want a tad more bass...just a tad to fill everything out id honestly suggest going on ebay and just buying one of those all in one set ups that include the sub/subs, amp and box...normally its a sealed box which honestly sounds like its right up your alley...or you could do a small 10 sealed off like 200rms...so what exactly are you missing when you crank it?

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer-seller-feedback/414807-michaellane-feedback-if-i-bought-you-traded-i-sold-you-something.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    742 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by michaellane View Post
    well first is it the bass that youre lacking? if you just want a tad more bass...just a tad to fill everything out id honestly suggest going on ebay and just buying one of those all in one set ups that include the sub/subs, amp and box...normally its a sealed box which honestly sounds like its right up your alley...or you could do a small 10 sealed off like 200rms...so what exactly are you missing when you crank it?
    didnt think about that one but something like a basooka tube would do you fine

2012 Nissan Versa Hatch

michaellane is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    391 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by winkychevelle View Post
    didnt think about that one but something like a basooka tube would do you fine
    ya im thinking since he mentioned the bass missing...but id say a simple all in one package so when you and your mini me's need the extra room you just un hook it and take it out...simple, cheap and will give you everything you need

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer-seller-feedback/414807-michaellane-feedback-if-i-bought-you-traded-i-sold-you-something.html

6. Thanks klingcam thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    742 Post(s)

yea the basooka tubes would even be light and easy to move around and would probably give him more than enough bass considering my exp with them

2012 Nissan Versa Hatch

8. Thanks klingcam thanked for this post
    misfit138 is offline a whole new type of aids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)

I'd probably buy;

some inexpensive components (Crescendo CCX65 or similar)
    an inexpensive 4 channel amp (MB Quart DSC480 or similar)
    and a nice little 10" sub (SSA Dcon or similar)

That'd set you back less than $400 for the equipment, wiring and enclosure.

As far as the head, I like the JVC KD-AVX44 EL KAMELEON. Refurbs are going for less than $200 on ebay, and having the ability to use data dvd's is nice. No need for an ipod. No need for a bulky "book" full of cd's. Both are good things imho...

I shot out muh mom's vag with bossing papers in hand.

10. Thanks klingcam thanked for this post
    klingcam is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks gentlemen for the suggestions. The powered Bazooka tube sub might be a good idea, and I could probably just nestle it between the front seats. I also want to check into the Pioneer D series comps.
    What's your opinion on an entry level head unit? Looking into the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X494, but I've seen a fair amount of buzz about the JVC Arsenal units. My only experience with JVC is that although the quality is there, they always seem to have a lot of unnecessary whistles and bells...and I do like the 24-bit D/A converter in the Kenwood.

Closed Thread

User Tag List