Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: CDA-117 vs CDA-9887

AllenH427 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

CDA-117 vs CDA-9887

Well I'm looking for a new headunit and I'm pretty focused on these two.
    Which one would you recommend? Price really isn't a huge deal but the 9887 is $320 and the 117 is $350.

TEAM XS POWER - MECHMAN - FI - AUDIOQUE
    152.1 OUTLAW AND CLIMBING, 4KW AT 40HZ

kyleorsini is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: CDA-117 vs CDA-9887

arnt they just cosmetic differences. there the same hu, i know forsure the 87 is active capable but not sure it the 117 is. thats about it.

2008 toyota tundra c-max trd
    6inch procomp lift, 35" rubber on 20"s

pioneer avic x930bt,
    focal polyglass 165vb. front stage
    some image dynamics coaxs for the rear
    ssa icon 10"
    aq 2200
    ppi pcx2400

kubie is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Transaction History
    Bought From - Dave_Damage
    Sold To - blaze383
    Traded - cd6551, Toone

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just found out the 9887 isnnt USB capable, looks like I'll be going with the 117.

cleansoundzz is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I have the 117 in both of my vehicles and I am never looking back. The burr brown DAC is excellent for sound quality and if you use the IPOD you get the burr brown chip through the USB port.

02 4-Runner-Alpe CDE-HD148BT-Acntrl 3.2, Epictr, Alpe PDR F50 on Crssfre Sprates-Alpe PDR M12 on RF T1 15 @ 34hz
    90 300zx-Alpe CDE-147BT-Acntrl 3.1, Epictr, Alpe PDR F50 on Crssfre Separates-Alpe PDR M65 on NVX XQW104 @35hz

REFERENCES: BEATNOUTDAFRAME, VIVEET, CX-7HEAVEN, GMAN42, SUNDOWNZ, ZERMELO, M3NTAL, GAM3OVR, HEMI=22s, PROJECTPECKIN, KRISFNBZ, WHEELIEKING71, MR. RONIN-2U, ROBERTQ, DJM4RSHM21LOW, BLACKBONNIE, GYMFREAK101, STUCKINOK, SIACARMAN, ONEINTHESAC, 97SRAD750, ETC AND MANY MANY MORE[/FONT]
    Formerly cleansoundz

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

02 4-Runner-Alpe CDE-HD148BT-Acntrl 3.2, Epictr, Alpe PDR F50 on Crssfre Sprates-Alpe PDR M12 on RF T1 15 @ 34hz
    90 300zx-Alpe CDE-147BT-Acntrl 3.1, Epictr, Alpe PDR F50 on Crssfre Separates-Alpe PDR M65 on NVX XQW104 @35hz

REFERENCES: BEATNOUTDAFRAME, VIVEET, CX-7HEAVEN, GMAN42, SUNDOWNZ, ZERMELO, M3NTAL, GAM3OVR, HEMI=22s, PROJECTPECKIN, KRISFNBZ, WHEELIEKING71, MR. RONIN-2U, ROBERTQ, DJM4RSHM21LOW, BLACKBONNIE, GYMFREAK101, STUCKINOK, SIACARMAN, ONEINTHESAC, 97SRAD750, ETC AND MANY MANY MORE[/FONT]
    Formerly cleansoundz

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

AHHH Hopefully best buy doesnt drop Alpine and gets the 117 in, I have a $240 credit towards any headunit they have.

hellouser is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have the CDA-117. The usb port crapped out on me. Any usb drive I connect to it, or even switch to USB mode, it gives me 'Current Error' message.

The biggest problem with this unit is not that though, as I'm sure I just got a lemon, its the speed. Its almost as slow as a Sony. Scrolling through playlists or artists from the ipod should be the same incremental speed as on the iPod. It isnt. Its not smooth, and skipping from one track to the next gives a delay, feels like lag.

It gets worse....

Using any USB drive on this thing is basically a great example of one step forward, two steps backwards. If I connect any USB drive to the unit, be it a compact flash card via usb reader, or a USB key, it automatically looks for mp3s and 'Banks' them, putting them into an alphabetically sorted list, kind of like what you'd get from an iPod. It does this by reading the ID3 tags. Sounds groovy, right? Well, yeah...until you pass 1,000 songs that are banked. I tested the unit at a local shop and found out that Alpine completely butchers this logic. I came back to the shop with my flash card, this time with a lot more music and the folders were a little mixed up, I wanted to see how well it detects files and folders, incase any got removed, shuffled around or renamed. The unit went bonkers. Artists werent displayed alphabetically, the unit stalled at the 'Banking' screen. It gets even worse!

This whole process of 'Banking' is the most ridiculously stupid thing I've ever heard of. What it does, is searches for the first 1,000 tracks on a device and puts them into a 'Bank'. So lets say if you have 1,500 songs on an 8gb USB Key. What happens is that it finds the first 1,000 and sticks then into Bank 1 and the next 500 into Bank 2. So when you want to search for music with all your artists displayed and the artist you were looking for isnt there, means that it is in another Bank (the unit holds up to 20, so 20,000 tracks can be stored).

Worse yet, the unit REALLY slowed down after I tried adding 1,022 songs to this whole 'Bank' debacle. Scrolling through lists was painfully slow.

Its the year 2010. Why is it so difficult for the guys at Alpine, Pioneer, Sony, etc. to say to themselves;

'Hey, lets throw on a usb drive input on the unit and allow people to simply browse their files alphabetically as they would in a windows filetree structure!'

The most OBVIOUS thing, and the saddest part of all this is.....the only manufacturer that does this RIGHT is......JVC! Ive played with the KD-R800 and the R810 and as far as ive been told, the R900 also does it the simplest way. I say JVC is the only manufacturer that does this right because all the other guys sort files and folders on a USB drive by the creation date of the folder. So if you added a folder 'Michael Jackson' with a bunch of subfolders and mp3 files inside each, and after than added a folder called 'Beatles' the first folder in the list would be 'Beatles.' Stupid!!! Sony does this. Alpine does this. Pioneer decks do this too. It really boggles the mind and causes incredible headache.

Now, as for the USB connection on my unit not working, im almost 100% certain im gonna take this unit, return it and exchange it for the JVC KD-R900. The R900 is basically like the CDA-117 except on steroids. Also has 5v line outputs as opposed to the Alpines 4v. Sound quality im sure isnt that much worse (I do admit, the alpine did sound pretty good even on my stock speakers).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Here is the link for a professional review on the Alpine CDA 117

Performance Auto and Sound - The Girls - The Cars - The Life - Alpine CDA-117 Headunit

Formerly cleansoundz

hellouser is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Heres a video of how poorly the CDA-117 handles usb flash drives and the whole 'banking' issue:

YouTube - Alpine CDA-117ri

granted, thats a 'CDA-117Ri' model but its pretty much the same.

Now heres a video of the CDA-9887 handling an iPod:

YouTube - Alpine CDA-9887 iPod control demo

THATS how fast it should be. My USB connection failed on me before I could really play with the iPod controls. Can anyone confirm if the CDA-117 is as fast as the CDA-9887??

nineball is offline too many toys...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kyleorsini View Post
    arnt they just cosmetic differences. there the same hu, i know forsure the 87 is active capable but not sure it the 117 is. thats about it.
    the 117 is not active.

Quote Originally Posted by eharri3 View Post
    I have 4 12s getting 2K watts rms and my front stage is 4 Walmart JVC coaxials running off 16 watts rms of head unit power. My sub sounds fine but my mids and highs don't sound very clear and start to distort long before my subs do. Anybody know why? Any suggestions?

got-one-eight is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cleansoundz View Post
    I have the 117 in both of my vehicles and I am never looking back. The burr brown DAC is excellent for sound quality and if you use the IPOD you get the burr brown chip through the USB port.
    The 9887 has the Burr Brown DAC as well. Ive heard the CDA-117 lacks in features. The Active 3way ability being a big one although it does have USB. Give and take I guess.

Sound Monitor CDT- 450x + Mosconi 6to8
    ARC Audio 4150 XXK - Scanspeak Illuminator 1", Morel CDM88
    ARC Audio 4150 XXK- Hybrid Audio Tech L6SE
    ARC Audio KAR 1000.1 - 12" Morel Ultimo SC

References: Wilson, Master Ace, gunz4me, faiz23, -=GS=-

JayTDI is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hellouser View Post
    Now, as for the USB connection on my unit not working, im almost 100% certain im gonna take this unit, return it and exchange it for the JVC KD-R900. The R900 is basically like the CDA-117 except on steroids. Also has 5v line outputs as opposed to the Alpines 4v. Sound quality im sure isnt that much worse (I do admit, the alpine did sound pretty good even on my stock speakers).
    JVC will never sound as good as the Alpine. Who carries around a million songs on a flash drive anyway, bit rate must be awesome on them hey ?? Go buy a decent quality cd and then you'll hear that machine shine. Dynamics and staging on the Alpine will be way better...

nineball is offline too many toys...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JayTDI View Post
    JVC will never sound as good as the Alpine. Who carries around a million songs on a flash drive anyway, bit rate must be awesome on them hey ?? Go buy a decent quality cd and then you'll hear that machine shine. Dynamics and staging on the Alpine will be way better...
    i have found quite the opposite. my jvc kd-sh1000 has better sq than most of the alpine headunits i have owned, and the rest (9887, 7998) i would say would are very similar. hell even the lower end kd-g820 i got as part of a large purchase sounded pretty **** good.

Quote Originally Posted by eharri3 View Post
    I have 4 12s getting 2K watts rms and my front stage is 4 Walmart JVC coaxials running off 16 watts rms of head unit power. My sub sounds fine but my mids and highs don't sound very clear and start to distort long before my subs do. Anybody know why? Any suggestions?

guacho80 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just FYI, kenwood does it too it sorts file alphabetically and lets you browse in folders. I had a x693 and upgraded to a x994, I won't go back to Pioneer or Alpine after this going to kenwood excelon. Oh, and they are cheaper too.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast