Closed Thread

Reload Thread: new headunit?

bread0710 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

new headunit?

i have a pioneer 800prs i love it but im getting bored and want something new. but i dont want to waste money and switch and not be happy. i was looking at the kenwood kdc-x994 and the alpine cda-117. anyone use either one yet? thanks for your advice

SOLD TO:1-Sunnyx:2-C_B_
    BOUGHT FROM1-marcotheclepto

CVP71 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: new headunit?

I am not a fan of Kenwood anything. With that being said, I have a 117. I love it but, I've always been partial to Alpines.

It's a little more involved a unit though. For example, the equalizer takes some tweaking to get right. It doesn't just give you your normal -7 to 7 selection for bass or treble. It gives you all the freqs and you pick the level for each. Also what it looks like is the Kenwood doesn't have Time Correction (Please correct me if I'm wrong). Time correction allows you to basically make the sound from all speakers, regardless of distance from listening position, to reach your ears at the same moment. I like it.

I also added this KTP-445 Head Unit Power Pack
    45 RMS X 4. Nice little boost. I paid a little more on Crutchfield (because I trusted them) and spend $130 on it. I spend $350 on the 117 (also from CF because I trusted them).

Hope this helps!

cleansoundzz is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CVP71 View Post
    I am not a fan of Kenwood anything. With that being said, I have a 117. I love it but, I've always been partial to Alpines.

It's a little more involved a unit though. For example, the equalizer takes some tweaking to get right. It doesn't just give you your normal -7 to 7 selection for bass or treble. It gives you all the freqs and you pick the level for each. Also what it looks like is the Kenwood doesn't have Time Correction (Please correct me if I'm wrong). Time correction allows you to basically make the sound from all speakers, regardless of distance from listening position, to reach your ears at the same moment. I like it.

I also added this KTP-445 Head Unit Power Pack
    45 RMS X 4. Nice little boost. I paid a little more on Crutchfield (because I trusted them) and spend $130 on it. I spend $350 on the 117 (also from CF because I trusted them).

Hope this helps!
    X2 on the Alpine CDA-117. I have one in both of my vehicles and I am never looking back. It's a beautiful unit with the Burr Brown 24 bit processor like the Pioneer PRS 800 DEH. It sounds exactly like the Pioneer PRS 800 DEH. Buy the CDA-117 and you won't be dissappointed. I have been using Alpine head units since 1988 so I too am partial to Alpine head units.

02 4-Runner-Alpe CDE-HD148BT-Acntrl 3.2, Epictr, Alpe PDX F4 on Crssfre Sprates-Alpe PDX M12 on JL Audio HO210G-W3v3
    90 300zx-Alpe CDE-147BT-Acntrl 3.1, Epictr, Alpe PDR F50 on Crssfre Separates-Alpe PDR M65 on NVX XQW104 @35hz

REFERENCES: BEATNOUTDAFRAME, VIVEET, CX-7HEAVEN, GMAN42, SUNDOWNZ, ZERMELO, M3NTAL, GAM3OVR, HEMI=22s, PROJECTPECKIN, KRISFNBZ, WHEELIEKING71, MR. RONIN-2U, ROBERTQ, DJM4RSHM21LOW, BLACKBONNIE, GYMFREAK101, STUCKINOK, SIACARMAN, ONEINTHESAC, 97SRAD750, ETC AND MANY MANY MORE[/FONT]
    Formerly cleansoundz

bread0710 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

do i have to have the imprint do unlock the eq? i was reading crutchfield but it says it only has a 2 band EQ. but in the thread you say it has a 5 and 7 depending on the eq you pick.

edit: i just read the manul and it says there is 5 or 7 depending. so what do you think i should do? keep my pioneer or shoudl i get the alpine or kenwood?

SOLD TO:1-Sunnyx:2-C_B_
    BOUGHT FROM1-marcotheclepto

cleansoundzz is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The pioneer is a great heat unit but limited with accessing the songs on the IPOD. The Alpine CDA-117 is more user friendly. Yes the eq controls are built in to this head unit.

02 4-Runner-Alpe CDE-HD148BT-Acntrl 3.2, Epictr, Alpe PDX F4 on Crssfre Sprates-Alpe PDX M12 on JL Audio HO210G-W3v3
    90 300zx-Alpe CDE-147BT-Acntrl 3.1, Epictr, Alpe PDR F50 on Crssfre Separates-Alpe PDR M65 on NVX XQW104 @35hz

REFERENCES: BEATNOUTDAFRAME, VIVEET, CX-7HEAVEN, GMAN42, SUNDOWNZ, ZERMELO, M3NTAL, GAM3OVR, HEMI=22s, PROJECTPECKIN, KRISFNBZ, WHEELIEKING71, MR. RONIN-2U, ROBERTQ, DJM4RSHM21LOW, BLACKBONNIE, GYMFREAK101, STUCKINOK, SIACARMAN, ONEINTHESAC, 97SRAD750, ETC AND MANY MANY MORE[/FONT]
    Formerly cleansoundz

Closed Thread