Closed Thread

Reload Thread: thought I posted this a few weeks ago...how important is security?

batpot is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

thought I posted this a few weeks ago...how important is security?

Sorry if this is an old topic...I could have swore I posted it before, but can't find it.

I've spent a while looking a wide range of decks, and I've noticed that, aside from a couple nav units, and JVC, once you go double-din, you pretty much lose the ability to remove the face plate.
    This, to me, seems like a no-brainer deterrent; who would steal a stereo that obviously has no face plate?

But many units offer no security at all, or just a security code only...is a security code, or the likely possibility of having a security code a sufficient deterrent?

And who steals stereos anymore anyway? Teenagers and meth heads? Seems like an early 90s crime...like when was the last time you heard of someone getting held up for their shoes?

Just looking for opinions here...how important is security?

DBBOOM is offline DWN4MYN

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: thought I posted this a few weeks ago...how important is security?

Depends on where you park and how good your alarm is.

Natural selection at work.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well, I've got no alarm, and generally not concerned w/ where I park.
    How about peace of mind?

wone is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

JVC makes a double din that you can take the face with you

cebbeler7 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

most double dins have the option of taking the bottom part off, which is like all your controls and all that stuff but usually a double din is fit in your car pretty snug. I mean the whole point of a double din is to make the car look more professional and clean. My opinion is get an alarm, tint, all that jazz. Especially when investing in expensive after market stuff

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cebbeler7 View Post
    most double dins have the option of taking the bottom part off, which is like all your controls and all that stuff but usually a double din is fit in your car pretty snug.
    huh?

I'm approaching this discussion not from the "give me advice" stance, but more from the underlying purpose of security features in aftermarket stereos.

For example: how does a security code offer any kind of deterrent?

I'd much rather remove the faceplate, and not give a would-be crook a reason to break-in in the first place.

IMO, alarms attract too much attention...I want to attract as little attention as possible.

DarkScorpion is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well, an alarm will only attract attention if you openly display an LED indicator of some sort, which is more cosmetic than anything. I agree, I hate how most double dins, especially nav units, don't have removable screens or something of the sort. I think the biggest reason why is because it's hard to make a removable LCD screen for a reasonable price. Pretty much the only form of security you can have for a nav unit is a false screen.

eharri3 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes, they still take them. Depends on what your surroundings like and where you park. And also, how much work is involved in figuring out what you have and taking your **** as compared to the car parked next to yours. If you have a highly modified flashy vehicle with an alarm and they can at least see there's a head unit in there, it will probably be assumed that they've hit pay dirt and they'll go for it and see what else is in there.

If a thief takes a look at two plane jane vehicles parked next to eachother. One has no visibile interior mods but an aftermarket signle din with the face plate gone. The other has a double din in plane view. He's gonna go for what he can plainly see that will be less work. Alarms and other features can deter mediocre thieves but not the talented ones. It comes down to what looks like it will be more worth their time and effort.

Too bad nobody really make tape decks anymore. My setups used to include cassette head units with remote changers where everything else was hidden and bolted down under stuff that had to be unscrewed. I would leave the face plate on. The vehicle was broken into a couple of times but they never bothered with the head unit or looked for any of the other stuff, they'd just grab any loose items on the seats or in the glove box. People made fun of me for having a tape deck but I never had a head unit taken and some of them had CD players stolen.

Re: whats some good components?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by deathpenalty18
    Not an sq set up just want good sq speakers and tweets not interested in mids! And my sub is a fcking ia dp 18 with a memphis 4kw

Originally Posted by x1le
    mids ARE speakers.

A component set = pair of midwoofer's and a pair of tweeter's

and nobody cares what your sub is.

ejschultz is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DBBOOM View Post
    Depends on where you park and how good your alarm is.
    Actually, it depends on where you park and how good the thief is. An alarm will only slow down a professional. And yes, there are professionals at this.

94 Caprice Classic LS: DEH-P800PRS, TS-C720PRS, MRV-F545, MRD-M1005, 2 Fi X 12s in 2.5 net cubes sealed; 97 Grand Cherokee TSi: CDA-9855, TS-D1720C, MRV-F345, MRD-M605, SWX-1043D in .54 net cubes sealed

Resident Jeep Expert, Mother Fucker

Bass911 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It would be harder to install, but they need to bring back pull out radios. That's the only way imo to stop theft. Detachable does nothing. Most thieves assume the face is somewhere in the car. Some steal it anyway and buy a new face for it. I've been through it all. It will keep on happening too, but I refuse to ride in a Plain Jane looking car with no rims just cause people want to steal. I'll catch one of them sooner or later and stop his heart beat.

ejschultz is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

^^^That's the spirit. The best alarm is one that's 2 way and on the other end there's a 45 waiting.

94 Caprice Classic LS: DEH-P800PRS, TS-C720PRS, MRV-F545, MRD-M1005, 2 Fi X 12s in 2.5 net cubes sealed; 97 Grand Cherokee TSi: CDA-9855, TS-D1720C, MRV-F345, MRD-M605, SWX-1043D in .54 net cubes sealed

Resident Jeep Expert, Mother Fucker

DerekSmith07 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

check this out

Power Acoustik PTID-7350N

not the unit itself but the casing that goes over it kinda stealth like

WheresTheButta is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

a big part of the reason they don't make double-din with the detachable faceplate is that it would cost substantially more to make it that way. Also, where the heck are you going to put a double-din sized screen? In your pocket? I know for sure my pockets won't fit it, and I sure as hell don't carry a purse, so what's my option? Leave it in the car? No thanks.

I haven't found the perfect stereo yet, but I'll keep searching!
    I have lots of references, but not on this site - contact me to ask about them.

Closed Thread