Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Pioneer 880 Ipod interface

tez4life is offline Premium Member tez4life is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Pioneer 880 Ipod interface

For those that own it, how is it?

Im looking for an active HU, and I currently have a 80g Ipod classic. I have my eyes on the Pioneer unit, but I was curious how is the ipod controls on the HU, from those that have had it. Thanks.

2004 Ford Crown Victoria

Alpine 9887 HU
    Stock 5x7 door speakers

System is a work in progress.

Go2Sleep is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Pioneer 880 Ipod interface

Quote Originally Posted by tez4life View Post
    For those that own it, how is it?

Im looking for an active HU, and I currently have a 80g Ipod classic. I have my eyes on the Pioneer unit, but I was curious how is the ipod controls on the HU, from those that have had it. Thanks.
    x2

* (2) Morel Ultimo 12's * Hybrid Audio Legathia SE Front Stage * RF 360.3 DSP * Brax 2400 * JL Audio HD 1200/1 *

Millertime1028 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Its somewhat average compared to the Alpines interface. Playlists do not shift as quick and song activation is slightly delayed. Only about a second more. Some may say it's slow but you do get used to it. With my experience its sometimes a bitch to scroll through your playlist's as you have to file through in ABC order. So if you are trying to get to let's say your Metallica playlist, you'll have to scroll through each individual playlist to get to it in which thats what takes a little while to do. Thats my only complaint with the 880's interface.

-------------- ---------------
    References : lostdaytomorro ,wu501(x3), rednas, gladiator_jai , duece212, Kumquatism, dub22, kovemaster559, mpt947, kramers04 , Phlipbak, Bassbumper15, 1mtx1(x2), kylecanthurdle, DDbump, 88irocZ , Litunerkid, teen, cvjp417, micheallane, jonny101abc, SlappnCentury, brucebruce1546, audioqueboy

KHARPS is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Millertime explained it as accurately as possible. It's not terrible, but scrolling through does take forever and there is a delay when selecting a song. I have more of an issue with the 880 skipping on cds from bass than I do with the ipod controll though.

REFERENCES
    cam5860, Godsmack, dropkick13, ls2poweredgoat, bunkerking09, ProjectPechkin, GavinVoy, kmanian, magnum21, natetate, gqjeff, mustangowner, ssackett, hazardous0388, Rusty...WCA, ohsosmooth, grassroots, Leister, Scott S, Pyro_by_Nature, teamsolo, jblcamry, pickup1, got_focus?, fasfocus00, Zellner, Goindef154, Darknight, orangelss, Thorshammer1, BigSix

ejschultz is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Mine was decently fast until I hit about 4500 songs on my iPod. I'm at 4900 right now and it's slow as all hell right now. I'm going to go through my iPod and delete songs I don't listen to to try and speed it back up. I'm also using a second gen touch. It's not compatible with charging, so I wonder if there's any other compatibility issues with it that would make it run that slow. As far as SQ goes, obviously "iPod" and "SQ" don't belong in the same sentence, but I have to say it's better than any non full speed iPod deck I've ever used. There's absolutely no noise, unlike my Alpine 9855/KCA-420i combo I previously ran. My only complaint would be the speed of it.

94 Caprice Classic LS: DEH-P800PRS, TS-C720PRS, MRV-F545, MRD-M1005, 2 Fi X 12s in 2.5 net cubes sealed; 97 Grand Cherokee TSi: CDA-9855, TS-D1720C, MRV-F345, MRD-M605, SWX-1043D in .54 net cubes sealed

Resident Jeep Expert, Mother Fucker

tez4life is offline Premium Member tez4life is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Millertime1028 View Post
    Its somewhat average compared to the Alpines interface. Playlists do not shift as quick and song activation is slightly delayed. Only about a second more. Some may say it's slow but you do get used to it. With my experience its sometimes a bitch to scroll through your playlist's as you have to file through in ABC order. So if you are trying to get to let's say your Metallica playlist, you'll have to scroll through each individual playlist to get to it in which thats what takes a little while to do. Thats my only complaint with the 880's interface.

Thanks for the feedback Millertime. Yea, I just recently picked up this Ipod from a local guy off craiglist, and im in the process of tranfering my music to the unit. I only have had time to do a couple of playlist, so im having to go through the Ipod with my current HU to get to songs I want, and its a slight pain in the *** lol.

Im really split between the Pioneer and a Alpine unit, (9886 or 9887 with Imprint). I like the Pioneer's adjustments built in without the purchased of an addition unit, but ive heard rave reviews about Alpines Ipod interface.

I can trade with this guy for my current HU for the Pioneer, just wanted some input on the Ipod interface.

2004 Ford Crown Victoria

Alpine 9887 HU
    Stock 5x7 door speakers

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KHARPS View Post
    Millertime explained it as accurately as possible. It's not terrible, but scrolling through does take forever and there is a delay when selecting a song. I have more of an issue with the 880 skipping on cds from bass than I do with the ipod controll though.
    I know what your saying, I had a Pioneer 6000UB I sold recently, and borrowed a coworkers 8g Ipod Nano (most recent version). Worked very well for the day I used it, but that delay was quite annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post
    Mine was decently fast until I hit about 4500 songs on my iPod. I'm at 4900 right now and it's slow as all hell right now. I'm going to go through my iPod and delete songs I don't listen to to try and speed it back up. I'm also using a second gen touch. It's not compatible with charging, so I wonder if there's any other compatibility issues with it that would make it run that slow. As far as SQ goes, obviously "iPod" and "SQ" don't belong in the same sentence, but I have to say it's better than any non full speed iPod deck I've ever used. There's absolutely no noise, unlike my Alpine 9855/KCA-420i combo I previously ran. My only complaint would be the speed of it.

I currently have 4800 mp3s in my Ipod and alot more to add. But thats understandable about the compatibility issues, could be similar to the issue with the unit not being able to charge it as well.

And yea, "SQ" and "iPod" def dont go together, but im not necessary going for a "SQ" setup, im using raw drivers again, and I want some control and finesse from the driver's seat.

Thanks for the input as well fellas.

2004 Ford Crown Victoria

Alpine 9887 HU
    Stock 5x7 door speakers

king nothing is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I hated it. i have a 690ub now and hate that as well

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well decided to update this a bit, went with the combo listed above and could not be happier. The interface was just as everyone mention, but im getting use to it, and it sounds much better than it did with the JVC.

Thanks for the input fellas.

And BTW, the 880 is awesome

2004 Ford Crown Victoria

Alpine 9887 HU
    Stock 5x7 door speakers

Millertime1028 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

^Good stuff man, and yea 880 ftw.

-------------- ---------------
    References : lostdaytomorro ,wu501(x3), rednas, gladiator_jai , duece212, Kumquatism, dub22, kovemaster559, mpt947, kramers04 , Phlipbak, Bassbumper15, 1mtx1(x2), kylecanthurdle, DDbump, 88irocZ , Litunerkid, teen, cvjp417, micheallane, jonny101abc, SlappnCentury, brucebruce1546, audioqueboy

cleansoundzz is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

This thread is very helpful.

02 4-Runner-Alpe CDE-HD148BT-Acntrl 3.2, Epictr, Alpe PDX F4 on Crssfre Sprates-Alpe PDX M12 on JL Audio HO210G-W3v3
    90 300zx-Alpe CDE-147BT-Acntrl 3.1, Epictr, Alpe PDR F50 on Crssfre Separates-Alpe PDR M65 on NVX XQW104 @35hz

REFERENCES: BEATNOUTDAFRAME, VIVEET, CX-7HEAVEN, GMAN42, SUNDOWNZ, ZERMELO, M3NTAL, GAM3OVR, HEMI=22s, PROJECTPECKIN, KRISFNBZ, WHEELIEKING71, MR. RONIN-2U, ROBERTQ, DJM4RSHM21LOW, BLACKBONNIE, GYMFREAK101, STUCKINOK, SIACARMAN, ONEINTHESAC, 97SRAD750, ETC AND MANY MANY MORE[/FONT]
    Formerly cleansoundz

bradknob is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

not a big deal but you cant display artist and song title at the same time which is aggrivating. I figured out that if u hold the "home" button on the ipod for a few second u can control music through the ipod instead of the slow interface.

::SETUP::
    ::Pioneer p880prs::
    ::ESX Q120.4 (beast)::
    ::ID OEM's Deadened sealed::
    ::3" Tang Band Bamboo cone::
    ::1" Tang Band ceramic dome tweets::
    ::Refrences::
    Bought:: duece212, na_rsx
    sold:: TheLow,BallinbyNature, pieper88
    Trade::FasFocus

Quote Originally Posted by kcdc30 View Post
    tune it to 12 hz and lay your ***** on the subs cone...........i really enjoy it, personally.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

That information helps me quite a bit. Since I had my Alpine CDA 9886, I have went through 3 IPODS. It bummed me out because I like the 9886 but I can't keep going through IPODS. I like Pioneer but do not like the look of any of their head units except for the P800prs. To me it looks awesome and would be the only one I would consider running. I got a really good deal on it this morning.

02 4-Runner-Alpe CDE-HD148BT-Acntrl 3.2, Epictr, Alpe PDX F4 on Crssfre Sprates-Alpe PDX M12 on JL Audio HO210G-W3v3
    90 300zx-Alpe CDE-147BT-Acntrl 3.1, Epictr, Alpe PDR F50 on Crssfre Separates-Alpe PDR M65 on NVX XQW104 @35hz

REFERENCES: BEATNOUTDAFRAME, VIVEET, CX-7HEAVEN, GMAN42, SUNDOWNZ, ZERMELO, M3NTAL, GAM3OVR, HEMI=22s, PROJECTPECKIN, KRISFNBZ, WHEELIEKING71, MR. RONIN-2U, ROBERTQ, DJM4RSHM21LOW, BLACKBONNIE, GYMFREAK101, STUCKINOK, SIACARMAN, ONEINTHESAC, 97SRAD750, ETC AND MANY MANY MORE[/FONT]
    Formerly cleansoundz

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The IPOD controls are pretty good and fairly quick. What would have made the difference would be having the option to scroll through the alphabet from A-Z quickly like the other Pioneer units have. Other than that this head unit is awesome to say the least.

Formerly cleansoundz

Closed Thread