Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Help me decide on Eclipse AVN726E, Alpine IVA-W505, Kenwood DNX8120.

Atlanta007 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Help me decide on Eclipse AVN726E, Alpine IVA-W505, Kenwood DNX8120.

I've searched and read about every thread on these units and still having trouble deciding. I appreciate all the info available on the site. In the long run, I think I'd be happy with any of them.

I'm looking for in-dash, double din, NAV, ipod control, sufficient pre-outs to add a 4 channel amp and sub amp later, and dvd. It's going in my 05 explorer. I'm replacing the 6x8s in the 4 doors with polk 5 1/2" coax and replacing the factory sub with a 8" jl audio sub or perhaps get into a custom sub box. I will likely add a 4 channel amp later.

I'd rank the features that are are most important to me as follows:
    1) sound quality
    2) nav accuracy, user friendly and easy to update
    3) quality ipod control

I'm leaning towards the Alpine due to various comments about SQ, and I loved an alpine deck I had in the past. I've read on another site that the kenwood SQ is lacking. There isn't a shop I've found in town that has the eclipse set up to listen to. I listened to the alpine and was impressed, but the nav system was not set up to try out. The kenwood sounded good also, although the sales guy spent so much time trashing the alpine I figured his commission may be better on the kenwood.

Thanks for any comments.
    Last edited by Atlanta007; 05-06-2009 at 02:21 PM. Reason: clarification

"that boy asad" is offline low and slow...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Help me decide on Eclipse AVN726E, Alpine IVA-W505, Kenwood DNX8120.

Alpine W505 is the best all around, but Eclipse AVN726E has the better navigation... Both of them have great sq!

Mark Levinson | illusion Audio | Mosconi

------------------------------------------------------

References... CRXBMPN, aznattic, Extreme SE-R

sarge_in is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Have been looking at these myself, but the Kenwood 9140 instead of 8120. From what I have read so far, the sound quality between these three is almost the same. Nav is the best on Kenwood (garmin), features Kenwood has more than both including voice activated controls on the 9140. Have read bad things about the Alpine nav. See other thread on the AVN726E - i listed a feature comparison between 726E and 9140 - the 9140 has far better feature set, though the interface is much cleaner and intitive on the 726E. The W505 is good except the nav, but does not have as many SQ controls (need the Imprint unit for that). Also needs more accessories than other units IIRC. Ends up being as or more expensive than other units once you add everything in.

andrewmoore13 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i have a w505 waiting for me at home... saturday can't get here fast enough.

HU: Alpine iVA-w505
    Processor: Alpine PXA-H701
    Front Doors: Shok Comps
    AMP Speakers: Diamond Audio D7104
    AMP Subs: American Bass VFL 150.1 gold
    Subs: 2 Custom Sundown Z12s. Dual 2
    Kicker 1/0 wire (soon to be Shok 1/0)
    Stinger SPV44 and a XS Power 5100

refs: http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5007514#post5007514

2 Guard is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you like simple then the avn726 is for you...The nav unit works well. So far i like mine.

LaserRed38 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Kenwood DNX6140 + an Audison Bit One. End of story. I've played with the 505 and wasn't impressed. The SQ with a 701 hooked up to it is great. I can't say with the 505 by itself. I am looking to upgrade to a double din navi unit soon and the Kenwood has won me over with its easy menus, adjustable lighting and optical output. The smaller screen doesn't bother me as much and I like how the firmware is upgradable, the BlueTooth and Navi are built in and the build quality (to me) seems better than the Alpine. I don't think I will go back to Alpine again. Their best units stopped being made in 2004 as far as I'm concerned...

2005 Escape XLT Sport
    Alpine CDA-9835 - Audison LRx5.1k - Hertz MLK 2 TM - Hertz ML1600 - Hertz HX300
    Audison Wiring - Optima Red Top - Dynamat Extreme
    Refs
    [Bought from] dcmcki, 90accordman, MikeyB, itzme218, redcalimp5, SVT_RELAMPAGO, Johnny_Drama, RollinGTO, Fast1One, tc3k101, ramk1018, Brian_Smith06, John_Pionke, BigOso, TeamPSI, pickup1, PatFitz9, pro-rabbit, oldschoolboomer
    [Sold to] darqnez, tipnitty, Mugatu0, MrChow, nineball, SocialStealth, macq32, .livin.loud., slappinX, GlassEyez, Jeremy M, Honez
    [Traded with] James Bang, MovnZ28

sparkplug121988 is offline SWINE FREE!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

kenwood dnx 8120 or the 9140. I just got looking at both today and they are awsome! I have had the 505 and imo it dosent compare. The 8120 and 9140 are so clear and crisp with sound and video. Awsome blue tooth and nav and the best part is that it all in one!

1999 2dr Blazer
    4 Fi BTL 18s
    1 sd8k
    6 g31s
    Quad Alts!!
    155.2 @ 36hz

Refs- soundwave.co, jermy few others just ask.

lorideslo is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

^^^^^ kenwood 9140.

jaynyc is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

can anyone confirm which of these units have EQ configurable by source; meaning that I can set the EQ for DVD different than the EQ for FM radio.

SRim23 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sparkplug121988 View Post
    kenwood dnx 8120 or the 9140. I just got looking at both today and they are awsome! I have had the 505 and imo it dosent compare. The 8120 and 9140 are so clear and crisp with sound and video. Awsome blue tooth and nav and the best part is that it all in one!
    I'm picking up an 8120 this week. I called a local shop here and they said they should have the 9140's in stock by the 15th. but they want 1500 for one, id rather save half and risk it on ebay.

sold to : vitveet, ZeroAccess, Regalboi97 bought from: pboulos, mikescanlon, pickup1, konechiwa, CaliforniabOY5, desertheat
    Quote Originally Posted by DDeitz View Post
    blacks buy cars owned by white men who were designed by asians and made by mexicans ...see everyone contributes to the cycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Willkas View Post
    today I was messin with my newly installed subs, i really have no clue what they are but they're definatly old school. Out of nowhere, it burts into awesome mode and starts shaking the garage doors of the entire lot ( work in a auto shop).
    I just want to here some theories how this happened.
    In case you were wondering I drive a tahoe and when I say loud I mean loud to the point that your ears will pop and it starts hurting.

nismos14 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

8120 by far has more features than the w505. Much better eq built in than both units too, get the 8120.

Car audio IS an addiction.
    C.A.A.A Member #1
    (Car Audio Addicts Anonymous)
    Refs http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer-seller-feedback/278560-nismos14-feedback-refs-thread.html

Closed Thread