Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: USB Hard Drive for Eclipse MK II

Justintoxicated is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

USB Hard Drive for Eclipse MK II

I can't seem to get my USB hard drive to work with my HU.

It's an 80 GB 5400 RPM drive in USB enclosure. What do I need to do to make this device work with my HU?

Also tested on my Eclipse 3200....

Truck:
    Nissan Titan KC
    HU:
    Eclipse CD7200 MKII HU
    Speakers:
    DLS Iridium 6.2 Front Stage
    TC1000's,
    AMps:
    Arc Audio XXK 2100 for fronts, Diamond Audio D5 1200.1
    Other:
    Knukonceptz 0 & 4ga and all Speaker wire and Streetwires 0 ga Power/Ground Distro Block, 4.5 rolls 60 mil RAAMAT and Ensolite foam througbhout, Kintetik HC2000 The Big 3 + 0ga Gounding Kit.

Innovative:Cory is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: USB Hard Drive for Eclipse MK II

It sounds like to me, that you have to much storage...the owners manuals state the capacity limits on the usb sticks that are compatible with it... ie..if it is say capped a a 2gb usb stick and you try to use a 4gb stick it wont work.

Refs:

Rhoughton1, Captincheesey,Snoopdan,

Sold to: 1980Supreme, KH971, fatboyracing(couple of times)

Bought from: Brian GT PRO, Aztec

wu501 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

the drive might be trying to pull more power than the head unit is providing. I know my Kenwood handles a 40 gb drive with no problems.

blazeplacid is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

your hardrive needs to be albe to run with less than 500mA

CDT ES comp
    Eclipse EA4200 amp on highs
    TC Sounds LMS-r 12"
    nine.1

buggsson is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Without having read that particular manual, I have read the 7200 (I think), but in general, for most brands you need to have a correct FAT-format (between 8-32), you have to organize your files in a certain way in the correct structure, the drive have to conform to a USB standard (that I have forgotten), there generally is a maximum number of folders and files within those folders, rather than a maximum drive size. So you see, there is some things to consider before you connect your disc.

buggsson is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blazeplacid View Post
    your hardrive needs to be albe to run with less than 500mA

If not, there usually is no problem, there aught to be a cheap adapter available for you, that takes care of that if need be.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yea it has an external power link for esata use. It powers off my laptop and 4 other PC's without needing any additional power so I would imagine it should be fine (drive spins up and lights turn on).

I removed teh NTFS format and used exFAT which is the only other option for formatting in windows. I would imagien this means external Fat which should be OK?

How can I read about the structure the directories need to be in? I didn't have any problems with a 2GB USB thumb drive.

Truck:
    Nissan Titan KC
    HU:
    Eclipse CD7200 MKII HU
    Speakers:
    TC1000's,
    AMps:
    Other:
    Knukonceptz 0 & 4ga and all Speaker wire and Streetwires 0 ga Power/Ground Distro Block, 4.5 rolls 60 mil RAAMAT and Ensolite foam througbhout, Kintetik HC2000 The Big 3 + 0ga Gounding Kit.

Innovative:Cory is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

http://www.eclipse-web.com/download/...ents/1636.html

That should answer all your questions...

Refs:

Rhoughton1, Captincheesey,Snoopdan,

Sold to: 1980Supreme, KH971, fatboyracing(couple of times)

Bought from: Brian GT PRO, Aztec

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ok I had to use HP tool to get the drive formatted fat32, vista would not allow me to format it this way and neither would the xp machine.

Now it has fat32 format and works.

However it is extreamly frustrating. It only reads the first 4 letters of the directory or song! However if you hold the text button it will display the entire foldername and filename. WTF no way to make it default to showing the whole thing? This has to be one of the biggest oversights I have ever sceen. This will be very distracting while driving and also very time consuming. I have a feeling it will work the same way on my 7200MKII....

The other problem I am having is there is no Fade (front to back) on the 3200 or 7200. The 7200 is not an issue for me right now because I disconnect the DLS rear fill due to not having an amp built into the HU (old eclipse HU was stolen).

This text issue really ***** though...

Truck:
    Nissan Titan KC
    HU:
    Eclipse CD7200 MKII HU
    Speakers:
    TC1000's,
    AMps:
    Other:

macq32 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've got a OWC Mercury 100gb 7200 bus powered. Formatted it to Fat32 long ago, My Excelon x791 cant read it. I've tried all kinds of crap. The only difference when I hook up the 100gb and my 4gb flash drive that I have been using. Is that my computer sees the 4gb as a removable device. Anyone know how I can get change format of my 100 so it is seen a "Removable Device" as well, rather than "Basic".

Do I need to install the HU's OS on the hard drive?

Any suggestions or help is insanely appreciated

When I initially plugged it into the computer (plug and play, nothing to install) it wasn't seen as a drive in "My Computer". The only way I can view this device from my computer is by going into disk management and partitioning it (which i did to FAT32 <<which is supported by my HU). The above information gives the rest of the major details.

Headunit: Kenwood eXcelon x791
    Front: Morel Tempo 6
    Amp - PG Xenon 200.4
    Subwoofer: SI Mag v3
    Sub Amp: PDX 1000.1

Sold To - sctattooer, FunBoyThomper, Chereck04, beyap, xplayazplayzonx, Switt23Bought From - speedfreak28, Sir Smoke A Lot, connersdad19, NE14MX, dcmcki, joeybutts32 , lyttleviet, newtitan, mike75356, wmflyfisher, stopdrpnro, LaserRed38, ZellnerTraded With - Audiobahnuser18
    RIPPED OFF BY NUKEITALL

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by macq32 View Post
    I've got a OWC Mercury 100gb 7200 bus powered. Formatted it to Fat32 long ago, My Excelon x791 cant read it. I've tried all kinds of crap. The only difference when I hook up the 100gb and my 4gb flash drive that I have been using. Is that my computer sees the 4gb as a removable device. Anyone know how I can get change format of my 100 so it is seen a "Removable Device" as well, rather than "Basic".

Do I need to install the HU's OS on the hard drive?

Any suggestions or help is insanely appreciated

When I initially plugged it into the computer (plug and play, nothing to install) it wasn't seen as a drive in "My Computer". The only way I can view this device from my computer is by going into disk management and partitioning it (which i did to FAT32 <<which is supported by my HU). The above information gives the rest of the major details.
    After you formatted it it is now sceen in windows as a removable device?
    Mine is...
    Try formatting it using HP tool. (its used to make thumb drives bootable as well). Windows Xp and Vista would not allow me to use the correct Fat format. Vista would only Format exFat which is not even recognized by XP, and XP would also not allow me to format it as fat 32 for whatever reason.

When you run it on the PC does it only need 500ma? I noticed with my drive if I used a crappy or long USB cable the drive would not function correctly, it would power up but not work properly or detect. So cable could be at fault as well.

And I still need help with getting the text to display by default rather than having to hit the text button! It is super annoying!

Truck:
    Nissan Titan KC
    HU:
    Eclipse CD7200 MKII HU
    Speakers:
    TC1000's,
    AMps:
    Other:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Justintoxicated View Post
    After you formatted it it is now sceen in windows as a removable device?
    Mine is...
    Try formatting it using HP tool. (its used to make thumb drives bootable as well). Windows Xp and Vista would not allow me to use the correct Fat format. Vista would only Format exFat which is not even recognized by XP, and XP would also not allow me to format it as fat 32 for whatever reason.

When you run it on the PC does it only need 500ma? I noticed with my drive if I used a crappy or long USB cable the drive would not function correctly, it would power up but not work properly or detect. So cable could be at fault as well.

And I still need help with getting the text to display by default rather than having to hit the text button! It is super annoying!

Right, a FAT32 is limited to 32GB per partition. I downloaded partition magic (norton software). The 32GB resitriction is set my windows, fat32 is fully capable of being any size (that i know of), no idea why windows restricts it. Anyway I formatted to a fat32 successfully with partition magic for the full 95+ GB's and the drive is being seen as a "Basic" drive, not removable. Sorry, could you tell me what 500ma means? or what MA is. There is no power supply needed, it is bus powered. (works the same as a usb in that regard). As for the cable, what did you use to get around it, I do have a cable that is maybe a foot long. The drive itself connects to a mini usb2.0, what was your alternative to the long cord? That might be my problem!?

Sorry I cant help you with the text, really have no clue what's causing that, something in the HD im sure, but i have no idea what the cause would be or how to go about fixing it.

Thanks for the help

The other concern other that the wire is the "basic vs removable issue". But The kenwood book says not to use cords or something so that might work, so that might be a good starting place.

Amp - PG Xenon 200.4

Sold To - sctattooer, FunBoyThomper, Chereck04, beyap, xplayazplayzonx, Switt23Bought From - speedfreak28, Sir Smoke A Lot, connersdad19, NE14MX, dcmcki, joeybutts32 , lyttleviet, newtitan, mike75356, wmflyfisher, stopdrpnro, LaserRed38, ZellnerTraded With - Audiobahnuser18
    RIPPED OFF BY NUKEITALL

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by macq32 View Post
    Right, a FAT32 is limited to 32GB per partition. I downloaded partition magic (norton software). The 32GB resitriction is set my windows, fat32 is fully capable of being any size (that i know of), no idea why windows restricts it. Anyway I formatted to a fat32 successfully with partition magic for the full 95+ GB's and the drive is being seen as a "Basic" drive, not removable. Sorry, could you tell me what 500ma means? or what MA is. There is no power supply needed, it is bus powered. (works the same as a usb in that regard). As for the cable, what did you use to get around it, I do have a cable that is maybe a foot long. The drive itself connects to a mini usb2.0, what was your alternative to the long cord? That might be my problem!?

Sorry I cant help you with the text, really have no clue what's causing that, something in the HD im sure, but i have no idea what the cause would be or how to go about fixing it.

Thanks for the help

The other concern other that the wire is the "basic vs removable issue". But The kenwood book says not to use cords or something so that might work, so that might be a good starting place.
    Try using a short thicker USB to mini USB first. I just happened to have one laying around so I used that. USB wires are very thin so long run can definately cause problems.

Some USB Buss powered drives need an aditional USB port (2 USBs into a single mini USB). This would depend on the laptop (or in our case headunit) and the power consumption of the drive. 500ma (miliamps) is all my headunit puts out. Some drives may need more than this to operate.

I just ordered this drive for my truck
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...nscend%20320gb
    The HU willmax out folders and number of songs long before it is full, but I can use it for work or other purposes as well (ill just thow an NTFS partition and split it up). I'm just not positive it will run off a single USB yet.

Truck:
    Nissan Titan KC
    HU:
    Eclipse CD7200 MKII HU
    Speakers:
    TC1000's,
    AMps:
    Other:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nice, I'll be looking into that and let you know how it goes. Appreciate the help. If I ever get this thing going it should be pretty sweet, first BUS powered 7200rpm manufactured. Now if i can put it to use im expecting to be real happy

Amp - PG Xenon 200.4

RIPPED OFF BY NUKEITALL

Anh721 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Innovative:Cory View Post
    http://www.eclipse-web.com/download/...ents/1636.html

That should answer all your questions...
    Thank you.

Front Stage: Morel Tempo 6
    Subwoofer: 12" Adire brahma
    Component amp: Rainbow KW 4150
    Sub amp: Rainbow KW 2KW

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast