Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Getting Frustrated with head units

AndonD454 is offline The Wistles Go WOOOOOO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Getting Frustrated with head units

I have had about 4 HUs so far, most of which were around the 200 price range. Pioneer, panasonic, sony, kenwood. Basically, they all turned out to be junk. I have had seemingly every type of issue I could have and now I want something that works.

I am willing to spend a little more this time.. 350 maybe? as long as its worth it. Heres some features I need:

Single din
    am/fm/cd/mp3
    aux input (for ipod, although I dont like most of the ipod controls i have used)
    adjustable hpf (80/120 is good enough til i get another 2 chan)
    front & sub(non fading, adjustable level) pre outs, preferably 4+ volts
    detachable face
    and most importantly DOES NOT SKIP EASILY.. every one ive tried has skipped in my car with relatively loud bass lines.

I dont plan on getting over 150db any time soon but 145 isnt out of the question and I would love to be able to play CDs at that level.

I can find most of the features myself but its hard nowing which players do and do not skip easily. Please let me know if you have some info than will help. Thanks

qkassidyw is offline MECP Master Certified

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Getting Frustrated with head units

Quote Originally Posted by AndonD454 View Post
    I have had about 4 HUs so far, most of which were around the 200 price range. Pioneer, panasonic, sony, kenwood. Basically, they all turned out to be junk. I have had seemingly every type of issue I could have and now I want something that works.

I am willing to spend a little more this time.. 350 maybe? as long as its worth it. Heres some features I need:

Single din
    am/fm/cd/mp3
    aux input (for ipod, although I dont like most of the ipod controls i have used)
    adjustable hpf (80/120 is good enough til i get another 2 chan)
    front & sub(non fading, adjustable level) pre outs, preferably 4+ volts
    detachable face
    and most importantly DOES NOT SKIP EASILY.. every one ive tried has skipped in my car with relatively loud bass lines.

I dont plan on getting over 150db any time soon but 145 isnt out of the question and I would love to be able to play CDs at that level.

I can find most of the features myself but its hard nowing which players do and do not skip easily. Please let me know if you have some info than will help. Thanks
    Whistle goes WOO WOO!

Ok, now on to the question. I would go with the alpine 9884, 9886, or 9887. The AUX input would have to be an adapter that goes in the back for $30 retail BUT Alpine's iPod controls are the best...especially on the 9886/9887 and it comes with the cable to charge it. I also have never heard of them having trouble skipping.

The 9886 has 4V pre outs but if you don't need CD's then the ida-x100 is also an option (no cd just iPod/USB and am/fm radio)

07 F150 Extended Cab FX2 Sport
    Kenwood KDC-BT945U - And that's about it...

bigbangtheory is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

I would do the Pioneer Premier 880 or the new 800 PRS. Same deck for the most part, but newer and black instead of the silver. I had the 880 and was a nice deck, but a little much for what I needed. Never skipped, besides the couple times, but was the disc, not the player. Has 5v pre-outs and if you like to tune stuff, your options are endless! Throws off great sound as well.

I just sold that deck though as I thought I was getting out of audio for good, boy was I wrong, wish I never got rid of all my ****! Now I am more in debt!

I ended up getting a cheaper Kenwood X-492 deck and is 4 volts and has awesome direct hook up for my iPod and works flawlessly all around. To be fair though, only had it a few weeks. I don't miss my 880............yet. I am sure once I get the subs in, I will.

Seems like you just have bad luck with decks.

Refs~Max Power(ST), bnevets27(ST), 99oldsintrigue(ST), matrxx dude(BF), Ficaraudio(BF), Zachzchw(BF), tigerf117(ST), 5.7TBI(BF), DBfan187(ST), Joesph M(ST), 97gp(ST), Cornbreadxd(ST), SlappinX(ST), nycspudz03(ST), bl0ckd(BF), Sctattooer(ST), hitman34608(ST), Wackdogg(ST), ggk(ST), 03F150MrSBF(STx2), Dye4metal(ST), Mikey7182(BF), Wu501(BF), Twisted_0912(BF), Crunklech(BF), psychoacoustics(BF), Tyler Chavez(ST), GTO Dave(ST), Thisistiny(ST), DarkScorpin(BF), davidtemple(BF), BassaddictJ(BF), Geoff_off_me(BF), Dragnix(BF)

BF=Bought from
    ST=Sold too

qkassidyw is offline MECP Master Certified

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbangtheory View Post
    I would do the Pioneer Premier 880 or the new 800 PRS. Same deck for the most part, but newer and black instead of the silver. I had the 880 and was a nice deck, but a little much for what I needed. Never skipped, besides the couple times, but was the disc, not the player. Has 5v pre-outs and if you like to tune stuff, your options are endless! Throws off great sound as well.

I just sold that deck though as I thought I was getting out of audio for good, boy was I wrong, wish I never got rid of all my ****! Now I am more in debt!

I ended up getting a cheaper Kenwood X-492 deck and is 4 volts and has awesome direct hook up for my iPod and works flawlessly all around. To be fair though, only had it a few weeks. I don't miss my 880............yet. I am sure once I get the subs in, I will.

Seems like you just have bad luck with decks.
    In my experience the 4V Alpine pre outs will sound better than Pioneer 5V (or 4V and 3V for that matter)

4V is all you really need anyway. Alpine is known for their SQ...

07 F150 Extended Cab FX2 Sport
    Kenwood KDC-BT945U - And that's about it...

AndonD454 is offline The Wistles Go WOOOOOO!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ive heard a lot of good things about the 880/800prs but the last new hu i had was a pioneer and it skipped worse than the sony did.. I honestly think that my car has a lot to do with that because I have more problems than anybody else I know. I feel like the position of the HU in my dash is also a high spl spot or something..

anyways.. I like the idea of trying an alpine.. Ive always wanted one althogh Ive heard quality has gone down a bit recently. anybody have any problems with the above mentioned alpine units? anybody want to suggest a different unit? I'm all ears and I just had a power wire disaster so I feel like I'm gonna be doing all of this sooner than I thought.

Closed Thread

User Tag List