Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Pioneer deh-p600ub not reading some files on usb flash drive

I'm having issues with playing my mp3 files off of a usb flash (thumb) drive on my Pioneer DEH-p600ub car stereo. The primary flash drive I am attempting to use is a Kingston 8GB Data Traveler (DHDT1008GB). The problem appears to be related to file tagging.

What would happen is that some tracks would play fine, but others simply would not play. No information would display, nor would I get any sort of error message. I believe after some time (maybe 30 seconds) the player would simply go to the next track.

I troubleshooted during my free time for about a week, but was frustrated as I could not determine what the "unplayable" tracks had in common. Bit rate, file size, file format, file name, and the flash drive itself were obvious things to check, but none were the culprit. (Although a 2nd flash drive actually ended up with more "bad" tracks than my original flash drive).

Eventually I trying re-ripping a couple of CDs that EACH contained both "good" and "bad" tracks on a separate computer using Media Player, tagged the files, and put those mp3s on the flash drive...and it worked.

Not sure how it occurred to me, but I tried going back to the original PC, and removing all tags. I don't know much about the technical ins-and-outs of file tagging, but I downloaded some free software that removed all tag info.

And wouldn't you know it...all the tracks worked in the car!

But its kind of a bummer...half the benefit of these files is the file information. I did go back to some files in order to check if I could just remove the album art and leave the other tagging....that worked with mixed results. I think some "bad" files were now playing, but not all of them. Further frustration is everything I have read online about this car unit is that it works great with flash drives.

So now I at a roadblock...I don't really want to strip all my files of tag info, but I'm not sure how to go about "fixing" the tags so they are not a problem anymore. I believe this can be done because (1)I proved it when I started fresh on another PC, and (2) I don't find any evidence of this problem in any formus, etc.

Help!

blazeplacid is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)

Re: Pioneer deh-p600ub not reading some files on usb flash drive

it has a problem playing VBR files at times

probably cuz most VBR are "free" music

Ive never had a VBR from itunes hint hint, i got some new "free" music and some will play some will not.

Basically you need to make sure the bit rate is steady or it wont work

CDT ES comp
    Eclipse EA4200 amp on highs
    TC Sounds LMS-r 12"
    nine.1

Fruitbat is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blazeplacid View Post
    it has a problem playing VBR files at times

probably cuz most VBR are "free" music

Ive never had a VBR from itunes hint hint, i got some new "free" music and some will play some will not.

Basically you need to make sure the bit rate is steady or it wont work
    Well, that may be true. But some of the files that I can't play are files I *know* are 160kbps that I ripped myself. Plus, even if I was having problems with VBR files, why are they suddenly working when I remove all tags?

Fruitbat is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Just wanted to follow up here in case someone is having a similar issue...

I did end up getting my files to work. I downloaded some simple tag editing software (sorry I am at work now and I can't remember what it is called). IF I remember correctly, it allowed me to edit and/or delete tags separately for 1.* or 2.*. Removing all the tags got the files to work, but obviously lost all the info. Then, I tried removing just the 2.* tags...it seemed like all my files had both tags assigned. Not sure if that is possible, or what that even means, but thats what it looked like. anyway, after deleting the 2.* tags and leaving the 1.* tags, everything worked. Not sure if I understand why, but I'm happy and my files are working.

Side note: anyone with Pioneer deck playing mp3s have unusual performance of the "random" setting? My deck tends to pick the same songs and/or artists more often that it should (especially considering 1,500 songs are on the flash drive). Not so much that it is a deal-breaker, but kind of annoying. I had a similar problem with a pioneer deck 5-6 years ago playing mp3 CDs. I almost avoided Pioneer this time around just for that reason, but I liked the p600ub enough to give it a shot.

tez4life is offline Premium Member tez4life is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

I kind of know what your talking about with the tag issue with the Pioneer, it read most of the songs on my mp3 player converted to harddrive mode but had some issues. I notice the random issue as well, but since I almost never use it, didnt bother me at all.

Converted the mp3 player to 8g drive instead of the 16g it was because it took over a min for the Pioneer to read the drive.

BTW I have the same model.

2004 Ford Crown Victoria

Alpine 9887 HU
    Stock 5x7 door speakers

System is a work in progress.

2wheeler is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

fruitbat, could you post the software when you have a chance?

What do you guys think of the 600ub? I'm thinking of getting that unit..

tez4life is offline Premium Member tez4life is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

I have been very happy with mine. It has its shortcomings though. Due to a install error, got the dreaded ground loop noise issue, but was a simple fix by wrapping wire around the RCAs to a new ground screw on the HU.

USB playback is simple and works wonderful. One of the few HUs I have seen that lets you rewind a mp3 at the begining of a song to listen to the end of the song previous to it.

Rcas leave alot to be desired though, IMO, my JVC EXAD i sold had a better and stronger signal coming out the rear, even though it was rated at 5v and the Pioneer is at 4v, I still feel its signal is a lil weak. Im using a linedriver anyway though, so it doesnt matter.

Solid HU that does what it says very well.

2004 Ford Crown Victoria

Alpine 9887 HU
    Stock 5x7 door speakers

System is a work in progress.

sdmtnbiker420 is offline GAME 4 SALE

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I love my 6900ub... just hard to see in sunlight.... but functionwise, its awesome

4gb sandisk cruzer reads lightning fast.... chinese USB 2gb thumb drive is noticeably slower

2000 Infiniti QX4 - louder than you
    1989 Honda CRX - faster than you

Closed Thread

User Tag List