Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Help rating these Eclipse head units

Hello all I am a noob here and am looking for some more info.

I have posted in the WTB section for an Eclipse head unit. I have read the many posts about all of the units that I am interested in by using the search feature. I have further questions though. In what order would you rate the following head units ( I would prefer if only those that have owned them or have intimate working experience with them reply). Also maybe a line about why.

The 7000 can be had for $259 brand new off the internet which is kind of appealing so you don't have to deal with someone else's nightmare.

The 8053 is nice due to it being a dead head, which I am a fan of.

A friend has the 8455 and he absolutely loves it.

Some more info: I was into car audio over a decade ago and have been bitten by the bug so I am planning on utilizing some equipment I have stockpiled already to assemble a decent sound quality system. Here is what I have:

Rockford Punch 4 channel (200W) I believe
    Directed 1100D
    (2) Kicker Solobaric or C-12's ; will most likely only use one of them sealed
    PGRsd 6.5" thanks to a site recommended on here!
    And of course whatever head unit I buy

I have a 99GTP and the trunk will house the two amps in a false floor and the sub and nitrous bottle will be integrated into the trunk behind the passthrough. The components will be in the stock locations using fiberglass panels that I construct. The rear fill will be left open until I hear the system and determine if it needs anything. I have an Ipod but am not totally set on needing it in the car. if the head unit will accept it then great, if not it is not a deal breaker for me.

I am looking forward to using drawer number 3 in my tool box again! It is the drawer with all the car audio tools

Thanks for any help above what I have already found here.

HD RACING is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Help rating these Eclipse head units

Can someone please respond? I'm beginning to think my posts are in Captain Crunch decoder ink.

whitemax is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)

I've had an Eclipse CD8454, CD8455, and a CD7000. If I were to go back and get another one of those units, I would pick up a CD8455. The CD8454's controls were a little slow, the CD8455 did not have this issue. The CD8455 also has a 7 band PEQ for both front and rear speakers if you choose to use them. There were a couple of things that I did not like about it though. The CD8455 used a wheel to change tracks. At times it was too easy to pass up a song, specially while driving. This was not so bad with the CD8454 because the wheel had more resistance to it, the one on the 8455 had a more loose feeling. Since the remote control on all these units are pretty slow, I never used them. The other thing was that once you went into the advanced mode, to use the non-preset TA features you would loose the sub volume control option. You could overcome this by having different attenuation settings for the sub through the PEQ memory settings though.

The CD7000 has some nice features, but the whole jog dial inside the knob makes it frustrating to use at times. If you want to adjust the bass you have to push the jog dial in the middle. The problem with this was that it was too easy to switch the track, or the folder you were in. Same thing would happen if you switched tracks, sometimes you would get into the sub volume/balance/fader modes. What the CD7000 had that was nice was the addition of a shortcut button. Made it very easy to change settings for me. I could push the button get into the PEQ menu, hit the setting I wanted (it also had the x-over values, and time alignment settings stored along with the EQ ones) and be on my way.

All these units were very nice HU's. Even though I pointed out some negatives, they had alot of nice features. There are some things that I don't like about my current HU too. One other thing I should mention is that the CD8454 and the CD8455 had a lower noise floor than the CD7000. Those are a few things that come to mind.

2010 Nissan Maxima SV Premium with OEM DVD/Navigation HU
    AudioControl: DQ-61, 6XS
    Scan-Speak: Illuminator R3004/6020-00
    Audison: Voce AV 3.0
    Scan-Speak: Revelator 18W/4531G-00
    Audiomobile: MASS 2012 S24
    Boston Acoustics: GT-475, GT-2200

HD RACING is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

If everything goes right I will have either a CD8053 or CD8455 in the next few days.

I have a 8053 for $300 BNIB and also a used 8455 for $250 with 1 year left on the original warranty on the table right now..........

Choices

johzp is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Im also thinking of getting the 8053 or the 5423...hmm...ill keep an eye out on this thread.

REFS:
    Bought From:
    Lslugz
    Viperrgh2
    LivinLife
    MoneyMike
    cgndhhh

Sold To:
    phensway
    financethis

Hoot is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Take the 8455 - hands down it is the best unit and I've used. Whitemax hit the nails on the head regarding the two issues of note, but both are miniscule, really, and you'll not find them continually annoying. You'll get used to the fast advance track dial, and so you advance two tracks... just go back. Then the sub output control in pro-mode - sure, it would be nice to control the sub volume for various tracks, but most of us set and forget this. You don't have to use the EQ to bump sub output - use the time-alignment and bump up the db.

IgnoreMe is offline I love 2 girls 1 cup

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

all i know is i love my cd5000

llllllllllllllll Educate yourself and help stop the ignorance.
    llllllllllllllll DEA Judge Francis L Young says...
    llllllllllllllll Designing a Ported Box

refs: hazardous0388, snoopdan, karleon, thelow, freezeman_7, imtjnotu, Gebrochen, astroladespl, billabongcr , mustbenu , thunder9500 , 91ser, djdilliodon (6 times), stupify, milenko515, Zeuslicious, Bmoorman05, WaTTsLOk187, too dope 1904, nate2587, rbiele126, denalilvr

Don't Blame Me. I Voted for Ron Paul.

BluePoint Air Ratchet for sale...click me bitch

Geezerpoop is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

as do i

'07 Accord Ex V6
    HU: Stock w/ JL Cleansweep + XM Radio
    Speakers: Rainbow SLC Kicks
    Speaker Amp: Kicker ZX450.2

Sub: 1 12" Diamond M6
    Sub Amp: Kicker ZX1500.1

Second Skin Deadening

Refs: hellomota, Mattmcss, PatFitz9, NhustlaR, 6spdcoupe, shoeless, 528hz, basebalz13 Dewitt88/WMCLLR = GAY Scammer

Closed Thread

User Tag List