Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Question about different headunit brands...

bk12321 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Question about different headunit brands...

Was talkin to my buddy the other day, he owns Dedona tint and sound in Greensboro, one of the better shops to get stuff done at around here.

Anyways I was talkin to him about me getting a new headunit, and he told me to stay away from Eclipse and Pioneer. He said the EQ on those isnt as good as Alpine's, and that I should pick up one of those new imprint decks and that would be my best bet. He said that Eclipses ESPECIALLY dont have the best SQ.

Well i've been looking around for a cd5000, cd7000, cd8455, cd8445, cd5100, etc. They aren't TOO flashy but they are nice looking.

I guess my question is will I notice a BIG difference between, lets say a cd7000, a pioneer p880prs, and an alpine deck like a 9835 or similar?

References

'02 Nissan Maxima
    Eclipse CD5000
    Directed D2400@1
    2xSWR-1242D

Drpdmazda (aka Jason) = SCAMMER

almond is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Question about different headunit brands...

lol eclipse decks are known for their sq. does the shop heappen to sell alpine and not eclipse??

it's a small system.

Paddywad is offline Unemployment Sux

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bk12321 View Post
    I guess my question is will I notice a BIG difference between, lets say a cd7000, a pioneer p880prs, and an alpine deck like a 9835 or similar?
    Just my $.02, but why don't you go around and try to listen and tinker with the h/u's mentioned above? Get acqainted with the units and see which one best suits your needs. Good luck.

Ref: Mihklo

1996 Chevy S10 ext. cab:
    Sony Mobile ES cdx-c780
    Clarion Proaudio 4x6 plates
    JL Audio TR 6 1/2's
    MTX RT202 amp
    Concept CSS10 10" Sub

bk12321 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by almond View Post
    lol eclipse decks are known for their sq. does the shop heappen to sell alpine and not eclipse??
    Yes I know that they are known for their SQ, I was just wondering before I go and spend my money on a deck, I simply want the best sound possible for my money, which is why i'm asking if i'll notice a huge difference between the 3. If so, i'll pick up the best sounding one that fits my needs.

I don't have a ton of experience comparing headunits, I simply know whats pretty good and whats not, and what all the features mean and what not. I don't actually know how good one will sound next to another.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddywad View Post
    Just my $.02, but why don't you go around and try to listen and tinker with the h/u's mentioned above? Get acqainted with the units and see which one best suits your needs. Good luck.
    Well, there isn't a shop near me that carries the specific Eclipse decks that I want, otherwise I would love to go and mess around with a few. That being said, in-store setups will sound WAY different than in a car, and I want to know how those headunits will sound in my CAR not in the store where the unit is.

Anyways, I guess i'm wondering if I pick up an Eclipse deck, will it be much/any worse than those 9835's that everyone raves about? I know the SQ in the 9835 is TOP NOTCH, but the newer eclipses are supposed to have 24bit DSP and great tuning capabilities.

References

'02 Nissan Maxima
    Eclipse CD5000
    Directed D2400@1
    2xSWR-1242D

Drpdmazda (aka Jason) = SCAMMER

sdmtnbiker420 is offline GAME 4 SALE

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

p880prs owns all

2000 Infiniti QX4 - louder than you
    1989 Honda CRX - faster than you

92SC300 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sdmtnbiker420 View Post
    p880prs owns all
    x2

a lot of people here bad mouth pioneer headunits, granted their noise problems (which are fixable) I will never move away from pioneer, just got my DEH-P780MP and can't wait to start using it

dipitydoo is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I wouldn't worry about the SQ capabilities of these decks. I do like the parametric eq's of the Alpine (9835/9855) and Eclipse (cd7000/cd7100) over the 16 band graphic eq of the 880prs. A graphic eq has set center frequencies and bandwidth, and the 16 bands are spaced at 2/3 octaves apart. The parametric eq's on the Alpine and Eclipse, though with less bands, offer adjustable Q and center frequencies at 1/3 octave intervals, and are more powerful for correcting response problems. I believe they both have a more flexible crossover section as well. Whether you might make use of these features is a different story.

almond is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

or you could just get an empeg where you can have a 10 band fully parametric eq (from 50hz to 30 khz in incriments of 1hz, with adjustable q from 0-10 in 0.1 incriments) either locked for all four channels, left/right, or each individual channel fr, fl, rr, rl. as far as processing empeg owns all, sorry guys, but by far not an sq deck. (it only plays mp3's, well you can hook up a cd player to it, but whats the point really)

it's a small system.

Closed Thread