Closed Thread

Reload Thread: SQ Unit

kkpsiguy is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

SQ Unit

Okay, so I have some questions. I am in need of a good deck. I PM'd a coulple of guys already about alpine., one on the 9885 and on an older one, 7941 I believe. What I want is one with 3 preouts on it. I noticed that the older alpines had 4-5 volts preouts, while the newer ones have only 2-2.5, except that one with the iPod looking face, I think it has 4. Anyways, how important is it to get one with the higher outputs?? I had an eclipse cd4000 last year and loved it. I'm thinking about going with another eclipse, but i want one that will give me exceptional sound. I'm going to run a set of components in my truck, so do I want a deck without an internal amplifer?? If I get one and I'm running my components off an amp, will the internal amp hurt my sound any?? I download tracks off iTunes, and I'm thinking of getting an iPod. Right now I just burn them onto a cd. Would I get better sound quality off the cd, or would I notice a difference off the iPod?? I want an sq system. I'm going to be posting in other sections of the forum, so any that respond here, I would appreciate it if you could give your 2 cents on the others. Also, if the deck is worth it, I dont mind putting out some cash for it. I was wanting to stay around $400-$500 for the deck, but like I said, if its worth it, I dont mind paying more. If you know of one that costs more, but is really good, please explain why.

docutech is offline NC Native

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: SQ Unit

The 9855 has 4v preouts. This should be ideal for an SQ application. Most HUs today will have an iternal amp. The 9855 has an option to turn the internal amp off. It also has a lot of SQ features like: 7 band EQ, time alignment, and internal crossover adjustment. Great sounding deck. You can pick up a used one for around $250.

youngfu is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A deck with good dsp in it like 880prs or CD7000 would be enogh

frzninvt is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

iPod and downloaded iTunes = poor SQ having a nice deck won't help.

You need a lossless format or redbook CD's to maintain top notch SQ.

1995 Oriental Blue BMW 525i 5 Speed
    Stock Alpine System Actively Crossed Over & Amped w/CD 6-Disc Changer System with a/d/s 235is comps in front (3-Ways front, 2-Ways rear) sounds really good. All functions are displayed on the dash's check control display module.

mlstrass is offline Shaggy DOA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

My older eXcelon has 4.5v pre outs and the ability to shut the internal amps off. If you don't need processing for active then there's plenty of good units out there.

IMO your choice of speakers will have more effect on the over all SQ of your system...

jpeaslee is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

IMO your choice of speakers will have more effect on the over all SQ of your system
    This is true, but if you send crap through a $1000 set of comps, it'll still sound like crap. If it clips bad enough, you could even blow those comps. Your system is only as good as its weakest part.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by frzninvt View Post
    iPod and downloaded iTunes = poor SQ having a nice deck won't help.

You need a lossless format or redbook CD's to maintain top notch SQ.
    What is a lossless format and redbook cd??

Slaugh is offline CarAudio.com Moron

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jpeaslee View Post
    This is true, but if you send crap through a $1000 set of comps, it'll still sound like crap. If it clips bad enough, you could even blow those comps. Your system is only as good as its weakest part.
    perfect explanation, dude... nice first post btw

Babs is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

hehe.. yeah no kidding.. well put.

dwynne is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kkpsiguy View Post
    What is a lossless format and redbook cd??
    "Redbook" is just a standard audio CD - either store bought or a compilation or copy you burned yourself. Limited to 78 minutes of audio (if you follow the standard) of 2 channels sampled at 44.1khz.

If you rip your own CDs and use a very high bit rate and VBR you can get to "pretty near" CD quality sound with MP3s and fit maybe 5-7 "albums" on one MP3 disc.

Stuff you download or ripped at 128k or something will not sound as good.

The good news about a SQ system: great recordings will sound superb!

The bad news about a SQ system: crummy recordings will really sound like crap-o-la. Any flaws in the recording itself (i.e. "oldies") and/or the compression will show up big time and ruin the experience.

When I ran my Acoustat electrostatic speakers with an Audio Research amp at home they could blow you away with a quality recording - or make you want to plug your ears on "mixed for radio" junk. "Very revealing" is a double-edged sword .

Dennis

frzninvt is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Perfect summary Dennis, thanks.

I use Klipschorn's in the house and it is just like you say, very revealing of recording quality. Crap in, crap out.

1995 Oriental Blue BMW 525i 5 Speed
    Stock Alpine System Actively Crossed Over & Amped w/CD 6-Disc Changer System with a/d/s 235is comps in front (3-Ways front, 2-Ways rear) sounds really good. All functions are displayed on the dash's check control display module.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hey Everyone, thanks for your input, I really appreciate it. I think i'm going to go with the Eclipse CD7000. I really liked the CD4000 when I had it, so I've had good experience with the Eclipse, I think I'll keep with that. I've used kenwoods in the past(lower line), sony, jvc(wal-marts stuff), but that Eclipse was the best that I liked. So...anyways....thanks for everything.

Jess

Closed Thread