Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Clarion Head units - overall Quality?

holycow is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Clarion Head units - overall Quality?

As some of you have seen, im slowly piecing together a cart list for a new system (havn't put one together in over 10 years) I have always liked the look/style of the clarion HUs. How are they these days? Dependable? Good SQ? I'm not looking for anything fancy... just something with basic controls, good clean SQ, and dependability. For example, the one I am considering, is:

Clarion DXZ275MP
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-NvYTFD8...Z275&s=0&cc=01

Thanks for any input!

-HC

csnut18 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Clarion Head units - overall Quality?

That is one of the crappiest clarions in existence. Some of their stuff is good but you get what you pay for in this case.

jmanpc is offline CA.com Nostalgist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My DXZ955MC is very nice.

2007 Red Ford Focus ZX4 SE
    - Clarion DXZ955MC -
    - MB Quart RSD216 - 2 MB Quart RWE-354 in 4 cubic feet sealed -
    - MB Quart DSC4125 - Audiopipe AP1500.1D - Optima Blue Top -

Team High Sexage

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by csnut18 View Post
    That is one of the crappiest clarions in existence. Some of their stuff is good but you get what you pay for in this case.
    Ok, but why? WHAT exactly is crappy? Is the sound quality output of the deck horrible? Is it made out of tin foil? Is it missing some basic functionality? Is it going to somehow break after a week of use?

I'm sorry, but "its crappy" doesn't help me any. How about some elaboration?

Iv gone through some of the different models of Clarions, and so far, I can only find differences in features (bluetooth, sirus, etc). None of these things interest me. If the SQ output is good, durability/dependability is good, and it can run my amps, that's all i need

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There low-level stuff isn't very good, but most of the high-end units are very good quality.

2006 Chevrolet Silverado - Crew Cab Z71
    Kicker ZX 750.1
    Four 8" RE RE's

Bought from: Jamaica2G, Ayrton, Prowler573, netherland24, tRiGgEr, BassBEAST88, HCCAfan, HOAX_1
    Sold to: James Bang, dkguitarist, Scoobydoo, ~Magick_Man~, BigEM, lostsoul, sephiroth619, Skip01, squeak12, CELLERBR, bvr_j_0969, OneKrazyKeebler, negativezeroz
    Traded with: Apollyon, zachzchw, jmanpc
    eBay: pmk0024 - 100% positive

Riz Z Speed is offline Sexy Brown Guy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

overall quality is good.
    Clarion is a good quality company.
    I'm sure the "it's crappy" comment stems from the price tag.
    Most of the more expensive HU's tend to have the better features obviously.
    if you've determined that this particular HU is sufficient for your needs then, by all means buy it.
    Just remember that if your strict goal is sound quality, you might want to look at more expensive units.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Riz Z Speed View Post
    overall quality is good.
    Clarion is a good quality company.
    I'm sure the "it's crappy" comment stems from the price tag.
    Most of the more expensive HU's tend to have the better features obviously.
    if you've determined that this particular HU is sufficient for your needs then, by all means buy it.
    Just remember that if your strict goal is sound quality, you might want to look at more expensive units.

Well, the problem is, I don't really know what will create good SQ and what wont. I am not in the market for fancy doo-dads really, I am more or less on a budget. but if buying a reciever like this will give me questionable SQ, then no matter what the price, it will all be wasted.

How about something like this kenwood?
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-qB5ESzJ...0&I=113KDCX591

Can you answer me a couple of questions Riz?

1.) how about that kenwood?
    2.) what does "more" preamp outputs do for you?
    3.) what is the signifigance of higher voltage preamp outputs?

Thanks amigo.

Igno is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-bceOpQa...20dxz575&wm=su

how about this what do you want out of your head unit?

tbasile1 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Id look at Pioneer, especially the Deh-3900 it retails for like $140 and its awesome deck and has nice features as well!!

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...273636,00.html

REFS:

sold to "Benilson09"

pinkfloydms is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Search for the kenwood on ebay. I got my kdc-x990 for like $280, so I'm sure you can find that one cheaper on there.

www.shroomery.org

99' 4 Door Chevy Blazer

HU - Kenwood Excelon kdc-x990

Front - Polk MMC6500
    Amp - Alpine pdx-2.150

Sub - FI.Q 12 Sealed
    Amp - Alpine pdx-1.1000

Reson8 is offline What happened in here?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Speaking of Clarions, anyone have any experience with the older DB355MP? Sounds/looks like a nice radio but looks aint everything!

"you have a face like a bulldog chewing a stinging nettle while taking a constipated dump in a heat wave"

prodgod is offline Bored

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by holycow View Post
    Well, the problem is, I don't really know what will create good SQ and what wont. I am not in the market for fancy doo-dads really, I am more or less on a budget. but if buying a reciever like this will give me questionable SQ, then no matter what the price, it will all be wasted.

How about something like this kenwood?
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-qB5ESzJ...0&I=113KDCX591

Can you answer me a couple of questions Riz?

1.) how about that kenwood?
    2.) what does "more" preamp outputs do for you?
    3.) what is the signifigance of higher voltage preamp outputs?

Thanks amigo.
    1) That Kenwood looks nice. It seems to be the newer version of my H/U, and I completely love mine. Never had any problems with it.

2) The Kenwood H/U has three sets of preamp outputs. Meaning, you can amp your front, rear, and have an output for your subs. If you are looking to amp all of your speakers, then this would work great.

3) The higher the voltage of the preamp outputs, the more sq you will get out of the speakers when amped (I believe).

Swick

1977 MGB - Current Project Car
    HU - Kenwood KDC-MP825
    Front Stage - Infinity Kappa 5.25" Rear Fill - Infinity Kappa 5x7"
    Sub Stage - Elemental Designs 9kv.2
    Amp - Rockford Fosgate 5.3x Wiring - Scosche 4 Gauge

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT
    HU - Kenwood DDX512
    Front Stage - Kicker RS65.2
    Substage - 2 x Eclipse SW6000 10" Sealed
    Amp - Rockford Fosgate Power-1000 25-To-Life Wiring - KnuKnoceptz 1/0

Refs: lrc131, Hemi=22s, Tub Asko (SMD.com), poundindak69, us3, thegreatestpenn, BumpinLTC

Babs is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

HC,
    In the sense of avoiding "crappy" and "you get what you pay for"... The things that separate one head unit from another are in it's ability to pull the digital off the disc and accurately make analog out of it.. The DAC's. In the lesser (priced) head units, the DACs are typically cheaper and less-accurate and yes there's a significant audible difference.

Clarions seem to be relatively good units, infact my subaru OEM is a clarion and I have to say for a 2-din OEM, it's quite good, though they pre-eq'd it which is typical for OEM... But with the 'current' consumer head units from Clarion, it's the DRZ9255 "flagship" and then everything else.. None of the other units boast having Burr-Brown DACs, for example.. In the clarions under the 9255, the 775 is one I'd consider.. and they can be had pretty cheaply and the processing (EQ, Time Alignment, Crossovers) is pretty good. Other than that, I can't recommend any lesser models.. Maybe the next one down, but that would be it.

In the budget head units, the Pioneers seem to be praised for SQ and reliability, as are Kenwood and Alpine and I suppose Eclipse as well.

I'd say it depends on your budget.

Also, if you're not into serious bells and whistles but just clean SQ, it gets trickier.. They now have compromised most all head units to add the features at the expense of just plain clean sound quality... The exception being maybe Nakamichi.. Nothing but bass/mid/treble but decent SQ and minimal features. Opinions vary, as does mine on a daily basis. hehe

Slaugh is offline CarAudio.com Moron

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

to me, the headunit's target audience Clarion is trying to reach is a bit confused...

their bottom line are indeed cheap, but WAY to lousy to even consider buying them... they lack resources, and everything looks and feels cheap to the extreme... i do not recommend them, unless you have it connected to 4 coaxial speakers on your doors... i believe even stock players will do better than they...

their middle line is simply unexistant... their looks, feels and resources are just a little above the entry line, so it's NOT worth for the price...

their highest line is FABULOUS, nearly untouchable, but WAY overpriced (gotta consider a lot before spending cash on them)...

in my entire living with car audio, i have never recommended any player by Clarion to anyone, but entry line for those who just want "some sound" on their cars, and their highest level line for those who wants too much or "money doesn't matter"... i had a DB355MP, and i even liked it, but it was too cheap feeling, with plastic and everything... sound was good for the price, but i sold it a week later...

i think usually people would like to stick with alpine, pioneer, eclipse etc, as they offer a better value...

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    HC,

Thanks for the info Babs, I really appreciate it. The more I read, the more I search, and the more I talk to people, the more my budgest seems to be raising, and I think I am getting close.

I think im going to go with that kenwood HU. Great features, claims a nice DAC, doesn't break the bank TOO much.

Sub. I think im going to run a JL 10w3v3. They can be had on ebay for $159 + shipping.

Amp, here is where I am still stuck. Lets say I go with the 70x4 infinity amp. That puts 70w to each front speaker, but only 140 to the sub, which according to JL's power recommendations, is a little low. hhmmm... i still need help with amps.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast