Closed Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Reload Thread: Double Din Nav Units.

  1. #1
    MemphisSoul4U's Avatar
    MemphisSoul4U is offline The Black 'Hoe



    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Calhoun,TN
    Age
    27
    Posts
    841
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Double Din Nav Units.

    Just bought a Tahoe, and I want to put a nav unit in it.
    I've been looking at the Avic D3's and Z2's, I was just wondering what the pros and cons of these units were.
    I already know some people prefer the D2's to the D3's because they have 2 drives, which allows the Nav disk to be in while listening to a cd, allowing for more detailed mapping. But the Z2 has the 30 gig HD which remedies that proble, but the price reflects that.
    Any opinions on these two units or any other recommendations?
    I want it to be all in one, nav, dvd, cd, and the ability to make dvd's viewable while driving may be the determining factor in buying. I know the D3's can be done, not sure about the Z series.




    1/3 of Team SMD AMI.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eugenics View Post
    I ask my fellow members not to think of me as just another poster, but as a instrument in gods hand.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet06Camry
    By the way I can't stand 3 six mafia.. I bump real ****...
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxPro5
    i officially nominate MemphisSoul for avatar and sig of the year....I could watch her do that all day....round and round they go weeeeeee....
    RIP to my avatar...




  2. #2
    saj21187's Avatar
    saj21187 is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    ...
    Posts
    962
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Double Din Nav Units.

    There isnt a bypass available for the z2 and i think the D3s bypass voids the warranty




  3. #3
    MemphisSoul4U's Avatar
    MemphisSoul4U is offline The Black 'Hoe

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Calhoun,TN
    Age
    27
    Posts
    841
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Double Din Nav Units.

    Quote Originally Posted by saj21187 View Post
    There isnt a bypass available for the z2 and i think the D3s bypass voids the warranty
    Don't know how they could tell, being that you're only switching a wire in the harness, then grounding another.
    It could be undone simply.




    1/3 of Team SMD AMI.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eugenics View Post
    I ask my fellow members not to think of me as just another poster, but as a instrument in gods hand.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet06Camry
    By the way I can't stand 3 six mafia.. I bump real ****...
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxPro5
    i officially nominate MemphisSoul for avatar and sig of the year....I could watch her do that all day....round and round they go weeeeeee....
    RIP to my avatar...

  4. #4
    saj21187's Avatar
    saj21187 is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    ...
    Posts
    962
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Double Din Nav Units.

    Quote Originally Posted by MemphisSoul4U View Post
    Don't know how they could tell, being that you're only switching a wire in the harness, then grounding another.
    It could be undone simply.
    True, i would go with the D3 personally, just because the hard drive would be useless to me. I do believe the Z2s nav is more intuitive however, and the 7" screen is always nice.




  5. #5
    MemphisSoul4U's Avatar
    MemphisSoul4U is offline The Black 'Hoe

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Calhoun,TN
    Age
    27
    Posts
    841
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Double Din Nav Units.

    Quote Originally Posted by saj21187 View Post
    True, i would go with the D3 personally, just because the hard drive would be useless to me. I do believe the Z2s nav is more intuitive however, and the 7" screen is always nice.
    I have been leaning more that way.
    The nav on the Z2 is more pleasing to the eye, and it learns the routes you travel the most. One big plus to the Z2 is that 10 gigs of the HD can be used for music, but I doubt I would even take the time to rip music to it.
    The other thing I like about it is that it has a full 7 inch screen instead of a 6.5. But the D3 can be had for roughly $800 unlike the Z series.




    1/3 of Team SMD AMI.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eugenics View Post
    I ask my fellow members not to think of me as just another poster, but as a instrument in gods hand.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet06Camry
    By the way I can't stand 3 six mafia.. I bump real ****...
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxPro5
    i officially nominate MemphisSoul for avatar and sig of the year....I could watch her do that all day....round and round they go weeeeeee....
    RIP to my avatar...

  6. #6
    azbass's Avatar
    azbass is offline the salty ca.com mod



    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    34,922
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Double Din Nav Units.

    if you want good nav, pioneer is a way to go.

    if you want good sound quality/ good nav. go eclipse




  7. #7
    MemphisSoul4U's Avatar
    MemphisSoul4U is offline The Black 'Hoe

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Calhoun,TN
    Age
    27
    Posts
    841
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Double Din Nav Units.

    Quote Originally Posted by azbass View Post
    if you want good nav, pioneer is a way to go.

    if you want good sound quality/ good nav. go eclipse
    Are the 5510 series worth the extra few hundred?




    1/3 of Team SMD AMI.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eugenics View Post
    I ask my fellow members not to think of me as just another poster, but as a instrument in gods hand.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet06Camry
    By the way I can't stand 3 six mafia.. I bump real ****...
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxPro5
    i officially nominate MemphisSoul for avatar and sig of the year....I could watch her do that all day....round and round they go weeeeeee....
    RIP to my avatar...

  8. #8
    saj21187's Avatar
    saj21187 is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    ...
    Posts
    962
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Double Din Nav Units.

    Quote Originally Posted by MemphisSoul4U View Post
    I have been leaning more that way.
    The nav on the Z2 is more pleasing to the eye, and it learns the routes you travel the most. One big plus to the Z2 is that 10 gigs of the HD can be used for music, but I doubt I would even take the time to rip music to it.
    The other thing I like about it is that it has a full 7 inch screen instead of a 6.5. But the D3 can be had for roughly $800 unlike the Z series.
    I personally never understood this feature. So the navigation will learn frequently traveled routes, but why would i need to use navigation for routes i am traveling frequently? As for the hd, i have a 30 gig ipod that i will probably never fill so that is good enough for me. I have an AVN6610 and looked at the z1 and z2 alot before i bought it, i just couldnt get over the lag the pioneer hard drive units have. It would be a huge inconvenience for me when going through artists on my ipod. Not to mention the eclipse units have a far superior equalizer compared to the pioneer units.




  9. #9
    smd4life's Avatar
    smd4life is offline NOTHING ABOUT MEADE



    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    7,558
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Double Din Nav Units.

    you can bypass a z1.....but atm it's not possible with the z2

    http://www.sminntech.com/z1flash.html




    Quote Originally Posted by thevic24 View Post
    And with this.....I will use this as an excuse to drink another beer....
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________________________________
    Ref's:memphissoul4u, scottiej(x3), bassaddictj, jeepinTN(x2), Blados,lincolnls(slc720052), ssbogger, stuckinok(x2), matrxx dude, BoostedPontiac, fintheman, dbornotdb, mr. tibbs, lakota, iceteebone, WantedIsHere(HypnoticCure), Cahm Rohn, Bring97, Brian Owens, snoopysnooper, sdsport92064, annarbor84, tv559, RetroAudioinc, FJF, 01 S 10, oddiofile, stupify

Closed Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum