Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Passive-Active Crossover question

CJKinney is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Passive-Active Crossover question

Hi, newbie here.. I have an Alpine MRV-F345 4 channel amp with crossovers built in. I also have 4 Boston Acoustics SL60 component speakers that I will be driving with this amp. These speakers have passive crossovers that came with them for both the tweeters and the 6.5's. I cannot find the crossover frequency for the mid-bass crossover, but I believe it is 45hz. My question is, do I use the passive crossovers from Boston Acoustics (obviously I will use the tweeter crossover) or do I remove it and use the active from the Alpine amp? Thanks for your help.

99StangGt is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Passive-Active Crossover question

Looks to me you are running front and rear comps? If so you cant go active from what I have read with that amp. To go active you need a crossover with a band pass for the mids and a high pass thats around say 2000hz for the tweeters. Also to go active with 4 speakers you would need 8 channels of amplification. Now running the comps with the 4 channel amp would be standard. Usually crossing the comps passive crossover with the amps high pass at around 80hz and letting the passive crossover the mids and tweeters.
    Last edited by 99StangGt; 12-26-2006 at 08:36 PM.

CJKinney is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Passive-Active Crossover question

Yes, you are right. However my crossovers are actually two in one - a separate crossover for the tweeters and a separate crossover for the mid-bass. I can separate the two ss that each may be individually amp'ed or an active crossover can be used for the mid-bass.

Closed Thread