Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Icon32 Pioneer 880 and iPod related questions

Hi,

I'm using Alpine 9855R Head-Unit at the moment with Alpine KCA-420i iPod adaptor and I have to say it *****. The connection between the HU and the iPod is way too slow, and in a addition the glidetouch is a pain in the *** to use.

So I'm thinking of changing to Pioneer setup. I've read good things about 880+iPod, but I have still more questions.

1. When you select a song, does the song name appear to the screen immediately or within 1 second? (with my Alpine it takes about 5-6seconds)

2. If you press quickly the forward button for example six times, does it skip six songs? (The Alpine adaptor is so slow that I have to wait it to find the files, and it doesn't keep up)

3. Is there a possibility to backup in the menus? (If I make a mistake with my Alpine, I have to start all over again)

4. Does the browse menu stay on the screen as long as I want to ? (The Alpine HU removes the song browser after a very short idle time)

5. Would you say the 880 Pioneer is easy to use, the iPod connection works perfectly and you would recommend it?

If the answers to all of these are yes, I definitely have to get the Pioneer HU right when I can afford it.

Thanks for anyone who are willing to answer!

Edit: There is also a very annoying bug with the KCA-420i adaptor. Sometimes when I select a band, and a certain album, the HU selects all the albums/songs from that artist, even though I have selected only one album. Anyone else having this problem?
    Last edited by Twisted85; 11-18-2006 at 05:51 PM.

Apoc is offline Buying 1st System

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Pioneer 880 and iPod related questions

I would be interested to see what other people think as well. I have a 9835 with the 420i.

Scroder2 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted85 View Post
    Hi,

I'm using Alpine 9855R Head-Unit at the moment with Alpine KCA-420i iPod adaptor and I have to say it *****. The connection between the HU and the iPod is way too slow, and in a addition the glidetouch is a pain in the *** to use.

So I'm thinking of changing to Pioneer setup. I've read good things about 880+iPod, but I have still more questions.

1. When you select a song, does the song name appear to the screen immediately or within 1 second? (with my Alpine it takes about 5-6seconds)
    Almost immediately
    2. If you press quickly the forward button for example six times, does it skip six songs? (The Alpine adaptor is so slow that I have to wait it to find the files, and it doesn't keep up)
    Dont know
    3. Is there a possibility to backup in the menus? (If I make a mistake with my Alpine, I have to start all over again)
    Again, dont know
    4. Does the browse menu stay on the screen as long as I want to ? (The Alpine HU removes the song browser after a very short idle time)
    I believe so
    5. Would you say the 880 Pioneer is easy to use, the iPod connection works perfectly and you would recommend it?
    Well all I can tell you is this system works great together. I dont really have any complaints. I was going to go the Alpine route originally but heard nothing but good about the Pioneer setup, and Im glad I went that way.
    If the answers to all of these are yes, I definitely have to get the Pioneer HU right when I can afford it.

Thanks for anyone who are willing to answer!

Dave

The Goods:
    The Ride--2004 Civic EX Coupe
    Everything minus the P880 is for sale!!
    HU--Pioneer Premier P880
    Front--Rainbow SLC 265's SOLD to TahoeTexan
    Rainbow SL 165's SOLD to davidsw
    Amp--JL 300/4--great condition-- SOLD to Qbenjamin
    Amp for sub I don't have--Memphis MCD500--SOLD
    Wiring Kit--Complete KnuKonceptz Kit with tons of extra stuff BNIB--SOLD to soundnoob
    Dampening--Secondskin--SOLD to Defiler

loserpunk is offline hapbahdasindot

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1. again, almost immediately
    2. yes, it should 90% of the time, if you go too incredibly fast it might only skip like 8 songs instead of 10 etc etc
    3. When you select a song it does not exit the menu immediately, so if you select the wrong song/album/artist you can back up, although once you hit exit, or wait until the menu disapears (answer to #4) then you have to restart at the beginning when you get back into the menu
    4. see answer to #3
    5. I would say it works pretty perfectly, i've had no glitches or issues with mine, it is NOT full speed unlike alpines NEW units, but it is pretty quick, unless you run a 60 or 80gb ipod with 10000 plus songs then it gets a little lengthy to search for stuff, but the interface works just like an iPod's

one of the big things to remember when using an iPod interface is to let your iPod fully discharge once a month or so to help battery life

RJ Sclafani is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You need an alpine H/U that takes the KCE422i, it is much faster and does not lag as much. As far as I know, it's also the fastest out there.

96GTIVR6 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

In my experience the Pioneer iPod interfaces are horrible, they only display 8 characters and change songs very slowly. I haven't used a CD-IB100II on an 880 though, but I believe it would have the same problems. I did use a 420i on a 9855 and it worked quite well. The glide touch units are the only ones worth using with a 420i, I wouldn't use one with my 9835 for example the interface is just too slow and counter-intuitive.
    Best ipod interface is either the pioneer or and alpine on a touchscreen, or Fullspeed alpine. I would stick with your 55 and the 420i though, it isn't worth the hassle to change.

Alpine CDA-9835
    Diamond Audio D6600.4
    Diamond Audio D61500.1
    Morel Elate 6SW's
    Morel Supremo's
    JL Audio 12W6V2
    Tsunami 10.9's and Kicker S-Series Power and Speaker Wire

Twisted85 is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 96GTIVR6 View Post
    In my experience the Pioneer iPod interfaces are horrible, they only display 8 characters and change songs very slowly. I haven't used a CD-IB100II on an 880 though, but I believe it would have the same problems.
    The 880 is supposed to be much better/faster with iPod connection.
    But is there a still problem with showing only 8 characters?

Quote Originally Posted by RJ Sclafani
    You need an alpine H/U that takes the KCE422i, it is much faster and does not lag as much. As far as I know, it's also the fastest out there.
    Are you comparing to KCA-420i or to 880+Pioneer adaptor?

I would prefer the Alpine Full-Speed, but I need as good DSP as possible. (time corection, parametric equalizer, crossovers)

If Alpine would release (for European markets) a HU with big touch screen, DSP (bassengine Pro) and with Full-Speed iPod connection, I would most probably go with that. External Alpine DSP controlled by the HU could also be a solution, but it's going to be quite expensive.

BlkonBlkFG is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i just got rid of the 9857 and ipod...and i must say it was amazing and really really fast. Not sure why yours doesnt work that way. good luck

loserpunk is offline hapbahdasindot

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

the pio's will show 2 lines of text and constantly scroll through...not really sure why 8 characters is a big deal anyway...

Twisted85 is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BlkonBlkFG View Post
    i just got rid of the 9857 and ipod...and i must say it was amazing and really really fast. Not sure why yours doesnt work that way. good luck
    9857 has Full-Speed iPod connection and the 9855R uses KCA420i adaptor which is much slower.

Clean Sound is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Regarding displaying characters, the Pioneers will display either 25 or 30 characters depending on whether you have the source icon turned on or not. (780) The overall speed is pretty good although not as good as the full speed ALPINE. The only real complaint is that when you invoke the list command, you do not start in the playlist that is currently playing.

Closed Thread

User Tag List