Closed Thread

Reload Thread: premiere p860mp and amp x-overs

jasperpso is offline CAF Junkie

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

premiere p860mp and amp x-overs

ok, i am totally happy with this HU it is awesome..
    i currently have the gains set with the sub level a 0, and the deck x-over set to 120 hz.. but, my sub amp is a pg x600.1, and it not only has a quality crossover and subsonic filter, it also is not disable-able.. i have the subsonic filter set to 16.9 hz and the low pass set at 122hz..
    the question is, should i be unsing the HU's crossover at all, and if so, should i open the x600.1's x-over to the max 300hz? or should i just use the amps x-over to avoind crossing it over twice? does corssing it over twice cuase any adverse side effects? or is the setting i have were they are both set nearly identicle ok? it sounds good like it is.. but i just want to be correct in setting it..

thanks
    Last edited by jasperpso; 07-11-2006 at 10:14 PM.

Jasper
    2 Ascendant Audio 12" Assassins
    custom sealed enclosure
    2-way paging alarm with lcd remote

adam71 is offline P9 = Ultimate SQ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: premiere p860mp and amp x-overs

If you can't disable the xover on the amp then use it. It won't hurt anything to use it and you still need the 860's xover to make sure you don't send low frequencies to the rest of your speakers.

A little off topic question: Why do you have your low pass crossed over so high?? Most people set theirs at around 80hz. I cross mine over at around 65-70 hz. Not that what you're doing is wrong or not but it seems like that would be sending alot of audible frequencies to your sub and potentially screw up your front sound stage.

Source Unit: Pioneer P9 combo
    Tweeters: CDT DRT-25 Silk
    Mids: CDT ES-5 (5.25")
    Midbass: CDT M6 (6.5")
    Subs: Pioneer TS-W12PRS
    Mid & Tweet amp: Pioneer PRS-X340
    Midbass Amp: Pioneer PRS-X720
    Sub Amp: Pioneer PRS-X720

jasperpso is offline CAF Junkie

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: premiere p860mp and amp x-overs

well i just go for what sounds good in the truvck.. i actually have the amp set at 122, and i change the hu from 125 to 100 depending on the songs.. it just seems that 80 cuts out too much.. and for hard rock, it seems that 125 makes the kick drum hit harder.. i have been using 100 hz for virtually anything rap.. so i do like the variability at the hu.. my only front speakers are 10 yr old boston acoustics and they have been run hard by many over the years, so i run the high pass in the deck at 200hz for them.. this will all change when i finally get a good comp set.. that is my next purchase.. i am considering the Crystal sscs6 or the rainbow slc265.. then i may be able to lower the sub xover..

so if i set the amp at a 'ceiling x over' then adjust the hu as needed, that isnt hurting the overall sq? i guess that is the question.. is running both xovers hurting overall SQ?

Jasper
    2 Ascendant Audio 12" Assassins
    custom sealed enclosure
    2-way paging alarm with lcd remote

Closed Thread