Closed Thread

Reload Thread: iPod Compatible Deck

MitchC is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon32 iPod Compatible Deck

Hey,

I am new to the forum and new to car audio. I am buying a 1999-2002 Chevy/GMC short box, regular cab truck.

I want to put an aftermarket deck in. Now, I would like a DVD/CD compatible drive with a fold out screen. (IE: 7" LCD) But, I want the deck to be compatible with my iPod because that is where I will have all my music playing from. I thought of the FM transmitter option but realized if I can wire it in, why not for a clear signal? So, I have ruled out FM transmitter.

Next, I figured what is the point to a LCD touch screen if I just use the decks auxilary out? So that is where I found the Clarion VRX755VD. I was looking at the Panasonic CQ-VD7001U because it was cheaper than the Clarion.... But, I realized it didn't have the iPod functionality the Clarion did.

What are your opinions on Clarion and Panasonic? I've herad bad things about some Clarion units... Do you have other options that I am unaware of? I've also heard that Panasonic's new line is coming out very soon, should I wait to see if Panasonic will bring out a iPod compatible deck? Do you know something about this that I don't? (Quite possible) Just tell me anything I need/should know, I am quite new to this.

Thanks for all your help in advance and please excuse me naive-ness,

Mitch

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: iPod Compatible Deck

Alright,

I will post on another forum...

Mitch

2003 Suzuki SV650S Silver
    Keep your feet on the pegs and keep your right hand cranked.

brocken is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm wondering the same thing dude. I really like that Clarion because the interface is great for the iPod but I don't want to spend that much on a HU. I'm trying to find the best combo and it's tough.

_DjScrew_ is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

i never tried a clarion with an ipod. I loved my alpine with the ipod interface though.

"united we stand, divided we fall"

REFS: kickercivic1, matt-ao, psychot1cnemes1s, nikosbuddy, mjbailey21, NGSM13, Fitz, BoominBeast,FLAKKO, mountaineer man,PrivatePastry, PDizzle2oo5.

Quote Originally Posted by Toasted1 View Post
    The only thing I murdered or fucked up while high was a package of little debbies

bikejunkie223 is offline Dls Wh0re

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

alpine and pioneer both make units compatible with the ipod (with a seperate interface box) that basically use the cd changer controls to operate the ipod, I have also heard Eclipse decks are ipod compatible with a unit from peripheral. My experience is if you play off a playlist, the interfaces are great, but if you search for specific stuff, they are quite slow. Also, regardless of mp3 bitrate, you will never get an ipod to have as good of SQ as a good 'ole audio cd. My $0.02

Shop smart...Shop S-Mart... YOU GOT THAT!!!!!!!!

salsa shark....

Current Setup:
    Vehicle: 2004 Honda Civic Si
    Head: DEH 860MP
    Mid/High: Dls UP-6
    Subs: Dls Iridium 10
    Amp: Xtant 403a
    Other:Valentine 1 radar detector with remote display, Pioneer ipod controller, XM sat radio, Rear fill was determined to be a part of a communist plot to destroy our way of life and was henceforth banished from my car

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

umm the 06 alpines all have ipod integration built into the h/u's with no delay supposedly since theres no adapter only a 29.99 cable to buy...

NiTeHaWk4787 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm getting that, http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/product...model=CDA-9856
    I'll do mostly iPod too

Your #10 Flyhalf
    Norwalk RFC

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NiTeHaWk4787
    I'm getting that, http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/product...model=CDA-9856
    I'll do mostly iPod too
    Now, I would like a DVD/CD compatible drive with a fold out screen. (IE: 7" LCD)

Looking for a screen still. I think only Alpine and Clarion make them as of now. I wonder if Panasonic updates with iPod in their new line...?

Mitch

snebes is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by freightdriver
    umm the 06 alpines all have ipod integration built into the h/u's with no delay supposedly since theres no adapter only a 29.99 cable to buy...
    so does the newer model clarion than the one he was looking at.

http://www.clarion.com/us/en/product...643389344.html

and I but it will work better than the alpines....and not all of them have the intergration that you are talking about

steve n

REFS: cobra65427289, k-mart, chetney, cred118833, mazdakid, Capthook, unbonyr

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by snebes
    so does the newer model clarion than the one he was looking at.

http://www.clarion.com/us/en/product...643389344.html

and I but it will work better than the alpines....and not all of them have the intergration that you are talking about
    Thanks buddy!

I think I found the right one.. Even video ready, that's awesome! If you see more, let me know. I want to weigh my pros and cons.

Mitch

snebes is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MitchC
    Thanks buddy!

I think I found the right one.. Even video ready, that's awesome! If you see more, let me know. I want to weigh my pros and cons.

Mitch
    I have been looking for quite some time now for a new headunit. I want something that will give superior control, have a great iPod interface, and be reasonably priced. Not sure if I want a screen, and I wanted to get something other than alpine for once (their 9861 and 9965 models scream ****, and they fit my needs). I am not sure if I will be able to band-pass a signal on it though...If I can, its all mine!!

steve n

REFS: cobra65427289, k-mart, chetney, cred118833, mazdakid, Capthook, unbonyr

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by snebes
    ... I am not sure if I will be able to band-pass a signal on it though...If I can, its all mine!!
    With the new VRX756VD? And what does band-pass mean?

Mitch

mikegett is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Bandpass is when you use a low and high crossover to limit a selected frequency. In short, you are eliminating high and low frequencies from being played.
    I would suggest waiting one or two months before purchasing a HU. Many companies had HU's that would control ipods. However, they were very limited on functions and speed. The new 2006 lines offer full functions , smart charging from the HU, and upgraded access speeds. If you want to use ipod, I highly suggest waiting for these. Most companies should have full product lines in stores by March. It looks as though Alpine has the best ipod option. Controls are built in and a cable is all that is required. Eclipse requires a seperate box to be purchased. I have yet to hear how pioneer or clarion will connect. Price wise, alpine should be the best. Unfortunately, many features seem to have been removed from the alpine line. Possibly as a expense to make ipod internal.
    Every company has flip out displays ranging from 500 to 2,000. My personal preferance is Eclipse. They cost more but have been guiding most of the navigation and mobile video market. There flip out displays were one of the first to be introduced in the US Nearly ten years ago. Good luck and let us know your opinion on the ipod interfaces .

Audio: Eclipse 8455 8 volt Head Unit
    Eclipse sirius tuner
    JL XR650CSi 6.5" components
    Eclipse SA8394 3-way point source 6x9's with crossovers
    Eclipse SW7304DVC (10")
    Eclipse 3322 2 channel amplifier (320 RMS, 520max)
    for the active titanium tweeters.
    Eclipse PA5422 4 channel amplifier (480 RMS, 800 max)for front and rear components
    Eclipse PA5422 4 channel amplifier (480 RMS, 800 max) for dual voice coil sub.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mikegett
    Bandpass is when you use a low and high crossover to limit a selected frequency. In short, you are eliminating high and low frequencies from being played.
    I would suggest waiting one or two months before purchasing a HU. Many companies had HU's that would control ipods. However, they were very limited on functions and speed. The new 2006 lines offer full functions , smart charging from the HU, and upgraded access speeds. If you want to use ipod, I highly suggest waiting for these. Most companies should have full product lines in stores by March. It looks as though Alpine has the best ipod option. Controls are built in and a cable is all that is required. Eclipse requires a seperate box to be purchased. I have yet to hear how pioneer or clarion will connect. Price wise, alpine should be the best. Unfortunately, many features seem to have been removed from the alpine line. Possibly as a expense to make ipod internal.
    Every company has flip out displays ranging from 500 to 2,000. My personal preferance is Eclipse. They cost more but have been guiding most of the navigation and mobile video market. There flip out displays were one of the first to be introduced in the US Nearly ten years ago. Good luck and let us know your opinion on the ipod interfaces .
    Thank you! That was very informative and helpful. I will wait to see what the new 2006 lines look like.

I was unaware that the current iPod HUs are slow, that si good to know.

Also, the Clarion connects with a separate iPod cable. I think it's $49.99 USD. So not too bad. I will definately keep you posted on what I decide.

Mitch

mikegett is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I look forward to any comments you might have. I recieved my first ipod (30 gig photo) for christmas. I don't mind the aux input, but a fully controlled HU would be nice.

Audio: Eclipse 8455 8 volt Head Unit
    Eclipse sirius tuner
    JL XR650CSi 6.5" components
    Eclipse SA8394 3-way point source 6x9's with crossovers
    Eclipse SW7304DVC (10")
    Eclipse 3322 2 channel amplifier (320 RMS, 520max)
    for the active titanium tweeters.
    Eclipse PA5422 4 channel amplifier (480 RMS, 800 max)for front and rear components
    Eclipse PA5422 4 channel amplifier (480 RMS, 800 max) for dual voice coil sub.

Closed Thread