Closed Thread

Reload Thread: How much has head unit quality changed over the years?

SpeedingPenguin is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How much has head unit quality changed over the years?

Aside from visual improvements and CDR/MP3/IPOD compatibility, how much have head units improved over the past few years? Will a head unit that was "new" 3 or so years ago be able to sound as good as a new head unit? Have there been THAT many changes in the sound quality and stuff over the years? This is for a very basic "system", not for competition obviously, so small differences probably wont be noticed. Thanks

(I ask because I might be buying an older Pioneer head unit from a friend for 40 bucks, unsure of the model number)

Justintoxicated is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: How much has head unit quality changed over the years?

well my Newer Eclipse was 1/2 as much as my older HU (Clarion) and it sounds and works better IMO. But I'm sure it will vary from HU to HU. and depends on what your runnioff it? You talking about using the HU's Amp or Pre-outs?

Same Brands, Flagship HU's etc.??

Truck:
    Nissan Titan KC
    HU:
    Eclipse CD7200 MKII HU
    Speakers:
    DLS Iridium 6.2 Front Stage
    TC1000's,
    AMps:
    Arc Audio XXK 2100 for fronts, Diamond Audio D5 1200.1
    Other:
    Knukonceptz 0 & 4ga and all Speaker wire and Streetwires 0 ga Power/Ground Distro Block, 4.5 rolls 60 mil RAAMAT and Ensolite foam througbhout, Kintetik HC2000 The Big 3 + 0ga Gounding Kit.

supa_c is offline Abministrator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The P9 from pioneer isnt exactly a new H/U yet its considered a top of the line unit.
    What model pionneer ?

squeak9798 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well, if you really want to get down to it.....a lot of people would probably tell you that most HU's now-a-days are worse than 5-10yrs ago. Eclipse ECD 415/416/510, Alpine 7909/7949/7969, Rockford (Denon) RFX-8240/8250, Sony C-90, Pioneer ODR, etc etc are still regarded as some of the best "sound quality" decks of all time.

However, chances are that you are not referring to a deck such as those Most of the changes I've noticed in "reasonably priced" decks are in the features. I think for the same price now you can get a deck with more built in features than you could 5 years ago or so. Heck, I remember back when having built in crossovers (simple highpass/lowpass) and 3-band parametric was the best you could do in any deck without spending $750+ on it.

But....actual sound wise; I doubt you'd hear any much difference. Biggest difference that would affect sound between now and then is as I said.....features.

SpeedingPenguin is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well, I dunno what I'd be running off of, probably a cheap amp in the future, but if I were to ever put any real money into the audio system in my car, i'd get a new head unit as well ;-)
    If I can just plug it in and have decent sound quality, I'll be happy. Anything beats whats in there now (Nothing at all, but the origional tape deck barely worked at all, lol)

Slaugh is offline CarAudio.com Moron

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

bah dude i started 3 exact threads like yours in this forum but i only got extra retarded replies

i want to know how much Alpine hu's have been declining over the years, im sure their component qualitys have been decreasing... i have a 2003 Alpine HU, i was thinking into finding a 2001 or 2002 hu, but no one here seems to have had 2 alpine hus from different years to compare the SQ of both...

scrappy is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I had an ALpine hu in 99 and now I have one from 2003. I say aside from features they are about the same sq wise but I have had 3 kenwoods between the Alpine so I cant recall very well

3.5Max6spd is offline yo mama no wear no draws

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slaugh
    bah dude i started 3 exact threads like yours in this forum but i only got extra retarded replies

i want to know how much Alpine hu's have been declining over the years, im sure their component qualitys have been decreasing... i have a 2003 Alpine HU, i was thinking into finding a 2001 or 2002 hu, but no one here seems to have had 2 alpine hus from different years to compare the SQ of both...

retaded answers? Someone would have to utilize the same exact setup/car/speakers/amps to give you a 100% honest answer. IMO, generally speaking ,they are all the same. My old 7949 is no better than my brothers 9855, same old ish...more bells, more to-date....

IMO you should move onto improving your system as a whole in changing the things that will make a difference in SQ (power/speakers/location/tuning)

rainbow....homemade sounds best
    DYNAUDIO E S O T E C....Mobile Fidelity

Panasonic Vacuum Tube
    TRU Technology SSLD6
    TRU Technology STEEL S44 & S500
    DYNAUDIO Esotec System 362
    Dynaudio MW190 12" (x2) IB
    Stinger Expert/Esoteric Audio Isopath/Cascade

Refs-NE14MX , jdavis37, anarchy57, mj121983 , ll kadoy ll, TheBigDu , cdj ,Kawasaki STX-R ,Fdeez ,Ksin291,meangta, lil azn 06, HAVINGFUN, Loud1500, Flipx99 , jjunior887 ,mastarecoil ,slammed , T3mpest ,westerbud, Airman21, bconn587, LexNBimmer,namike, alphakenny1, HebrewHammer,chadillac,remiserg, purerx7tt, OCURIEL, coneO,Igno,Iluvzmzm,godzukiduce,CrazedCat,skylar11 2,
    bose301s,qwertvt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 3.5Max6spd
    retaded answers? Someone would have to utilize the same exact setup/car/speakers/amps to give you a 100% honest answer. IMO, generally speaking ,they are all the same. My old 7949 is no better than my brothers 9855, same old ish...more bells, more to-date....

IMO you should move onto improving your system as a whole in changing the things that will make a difference in SQ (power/speakers/location/tuning)
    well think about this

someone had this alpine hu bought in 2001 and used it untill 2003 when he bought a 2003 alpine hu... this is very possible and happens all the time, doesn't it?

supa_c is offline Abministrator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I heard someone say that the newer ones were made in a different country and the quality had declined.
    I wouldnt know from a personal experience since i have never owned an alpine H/U.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

TRUE

it used to be Korea lol

i think its now China

Closed Thread