Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

getting out the maximum out of the HU for speakers

My HU is a deh-3700 made by Pioneer. It is rated to be 4x27 RMS and 4x45W peak.

It currently drives only fronts Infinity ref 6500cs rated to be 90W RMS and 270W peak. So this means that the HU is not powerful enough to run them tehnicaly. I cannot set the HU to go over the 23-24 from the max 30 output on flat( no eq or boosters ). If I do the speakers distorsionate.

I know I cannot bridge the rear and fronts from the HU to get more power for two channels and the speakers would also not work at 2 ohms. The HU has 4 ohms per channel, but that's common sense I guess for low-end HUs.

What I have in the HU is: I can fade the fronts to 100% since there are currently no rears. Also I can set the SLA ( Source Level Adjust ) to have more power for the CD/MP3 source.

I did not try that yet, because my car is currently in the workshop. Do you think that by playing from the fader and SLA could get more clear ( no distorsions ) audible volume?

Please do not post suggestions for an external amp.

iceteebone is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: getting out the maximum out of the HU for speakers

Quote Originally Posted by onobeka
    My HU is a deh-3700 made by Pioneer. It is rated to be 4x27 RMS and 4x45W peak.

It currently drives only fronts Infinity ref 6500cs rated to be 90W RMS and 270W peak. So this means that the HU is not powerful enough to run them tehnicaly. I cannot set the HU to go over the 23-24 from the max 30 output on flat( no eq or boosters ). If I do the speakers distorsionate.

I know I cannot bridge the rear and fronts from the HU to get more power for two channels and the speakers would also not work at 2 ohms. The HU has 4 ohms per channel, but that's common sense I guess for low-end HUs.

What I have in the HU is: I can fade the fronts to 100% since there are currently no rears. Also I can set the SLA ( Source Level Adjust ) to have more power for the CD/MP3 source.

I did not try that yet, because my car is currently in the workshop. Do you think that by playing from the fader and SLA could get more clear ( no distorsions ) audible volume?

Please do not post suggestions for an external amp.

if all you have is 22 watts that's all you have. there really is no way to make the deck produce more watts.

onobeka is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ok, normaly if I have 22W that means that the speakers would handle it prety good, but they distorsionate at 75% of the volume. It may be clipping from the HU or the static waves behind the speakers. I think I have not yet tuned the HU to work best with the Infinitys. Some suggestions?

tRiGgEr is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Ok, normaly if I have 22W that means that the speakers would handle it prety good, but they distorsionate at 75% of the volume. It may be clipping from the HU or the static waves behind the speakers. I think I have not yet tuned the HU to work best with the Infinitys. Some suggestions?
    It might actually be around 7 watts. Don't expect 22 watts. So with the limited power turning up the volume is oerdriving the HU's amp. Remember it is just a 5"x5" amp there.

Aside from turning down the bass all the way or hooking up a external EQ, an external amp is your only option

Quote Originally Posted by Scoobydoo View Post
    Before poking fun at others at least learn to spell. I won't go into all the gammar mistakes!
    Irony?

Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    Your sig... Im trying to figure out if you think he spelled grammar wrong. Because, he didn't. Irony indeed.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hmm, ok external amp. The headunit has only one preamp unfortunately. I think that a 2 channel amp will do, so one channel for each speaker, but what to do with the only one preamp comming out of the HU?

This amp thing pisses me off realy, since I have no room to place the amp underneath the seat, and only in the trunk. Then I will have to wire everything, power, doors and so on. I'm still thinking If I realy need this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Hmm, ok external amp. The headunit has only one preamp unfortunately. I think that a 2 channel amp will do, so one channel for each speaker, but what to do with the only one preamp comming out of the HU?

This amp thing pisses me off realy, since I have no room to place the amp underneath the seat, and only in the trunk. Then I will have to wire everything, power, doors and so on. I'm still thinking If I realy need this.
    If you are not currently satisfied with the output/quality of the sound. An amp is the only way to achieve it. It is worth the extra effort to get sound that will make you happy.

With 1 set of preouts you can use almost any amp. If all you need is a speaker amp, then a simple two channel will connect right up.

If you want to add a sub. They make 4 or 5 channel amps that can split the signal. Or purchasing a spliter will allow you to run 2 amps.

Before poking fun at others at least learn to spell. I won't go into all the gammar mistakes!
    Irony?

Your sig... Im trying to figure out if you think he spelled grammar wrong. Because, he didn't. Irony indeed.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well I would not need much more volume actualy, just more bass. But this is a no win situation for me, to remain with the fronts and HU only. Since much bass setting brings clipping. A sub would need an amp and it's the same story again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Well I would not need much more volume actualy, just more bass. But this is a no win situation for me, to remain with the fronts and HU only. Since much bass setting brings clipping. A sub would need an amp and it's the same story again.
    Ok I'm not ragging on your equipment, But that HU is old and a low model.

A better HU will possibly give you what you want. Newer HU's have more EQ and processing settings. In my girls car, she is running all of her speaker from the HU. And it sounds decent for her.

So I see an external amp, EQ, or better HU could solve your problem.

Irony?

iceteebone is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

like any other type of amplifier, a deck will clip. there is really no deck (except maybe some eclipse) where you can turn it up all the way with no distortion. 75% of the way up is good.

JimJ is offline Tangled Up in Blue

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    74 Post(s)

Just get an external amplifier...you can find used 40-50wpc two-channel amps for dirt cheap these days, and there are plenty of vintage used models that are built better than today's lower end ones. A true, unclipped 50wpc will be a night and day difference in dynamic range.

adam71 is offline P9 = Ultimate SQ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tRiGgEr
    Ok I'm not ragging on your equipment, But that HU is old and a low model.
    Actually trigger that deck is an '05 model, its not old at all.

And to the thread starter (onobeka) you are going to need an external amp with a sub if you want more bass, plain and simple, there is no other way around it unless you think you'd be satisfied with some midbass. Trying to get sub bass out of front speakers will yield mediocre results at best. Not to mention if they're being powered by a deck. Trying to get bass out of a set up like that like trying to put out a forest fire with a single garden hose. Just not enough power.

Fading to the front will do you NO good what so ever. Turning up the SLA will also do you NO good. 22 watts is 22 watts.......no more....no less.

One more thing......the 3700 has 2 sets of preamp outputs NOT 1. The 2700 and the 1700 are the only units that Pioneer makes with 1 set of pre outs.

OK, now with all that being said I would suggest starting with a 2 channel amp. Run your Infinity speakers off that and see if that makes you happy. If not then you'll have to add a subwoofer.

Source Unit: Pioneer P9 combo
    Tweeters: CDT DRT-25 Silk
    Mids: CDT ES-5 (5.25")
    Midbass: CDT M6 (6.5")
    Subs: Pioneer TS-W12PRS
    Mid & Tweet amp: Pioneer PRS-X340
    Midbass Amp: Pioneer PRS-X720
    Sub Amp: Pioneer PRS-X720

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by adam71
    Actually trigger that deck is an '05 model, its not old at all.
    Whoops. Thought it was back from 2000-2001...

Irony?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Actualy the HU deh3700 in europe different than the 3700 the states, now that i've searched a bit both sites. Try to see it yourselves by comparing theese:

This is my HU, europe deh 3700 mp:

http://www.pioneer.de/de/product_det...omy_id=362-369

The states model for 3700

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...245002,00.html

which looks very much like the 4700 .de .

also .com 4700 looks like the .de 5700 that I cannot see in the .com

So mine has only one preamp.

Anyway, before I had a kenwood deck rated to be 17W per channel. The difference between what I have now and what I had before was amazing even on the stock speakers.

My car is preety small, smaller than vw golf similar to polo ( skoda fabia ), so those two infinities cover up the space preety good just off on the HU but I would like something more. I'll look over an amp.

adam71 is offline P9 = Ultimate SQ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Actualy the HU deh3700 in europe different than the 3700 the states, now that i've searched a bit both sites. Try to see it yourselves by comparing theese:

This is my HU, europe deh 3700 mp:

http://www.pioneer.de/de/product_det...omy_id=362-369

The states model for 3700

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...245002,00.html

which looks very much like the 4700 .de .

also .com 4700 looks like the .de 5700 that I cannot see in the .com

So mine has only one preamp.

Anyway, before I had a kenwood deck rated to be 17W per channel. The difference between what I have now and what I had before was amazing even on the stock speakers.

My car is preety small, smaller than vw golf similar to polo ( skoda fabia ), so those two infinities cover up the space preety good just off on the HU but I would like something more. I'll look over an amp.

For some reason I always forget to see what country someone is from. I'm such a dork sometimes.

Source Unit: Pioneer P9 combo
    Tweeters: CDT DRT-25 Silk
    Mids: CDT ES-5 (5.25")
    Midbass: CDT M6 (6.5")
    Subs: Pioneer TS-W12PRS
    Mid & Tweet amp: Pioneer PRS-X340
    Midbass Amp: Pioneer PRS-X720
    Sub Amp: Pioneer PRS-X720

jayroc2k is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

you can sqeeze more watts from yur HU by singing to it, you never know ..ir might decide to reward u.....

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast