192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6844 Post(s)

DSR-1 review, the love hate relationship

Review of Head Unit:

Rockford fosgate DSR-1 DSP.

so me and CSCstang got to playing with this on his SQ mustang as a stand alone processor via low level rca inputs. Right off the bat, it had a horrible time trying to pair with his note 8 which has bluetooth 5.0 lol. We literally had to turn off the car, unplug the harness and restart the app on his phone for the bluetooth to connect. The bluetooth range is extremely short, even sitting in the driver's seat with the DSR1 in the bottom of the passenger seat, it would disconnect here and there if it starts acting up. However for the most part it worked well enough for me to do the tuning for a few hours. I can foresee a lot of frustration with the bluetooth connection in the future though while driving.

Its a 3 way active front plus subwoofer setup, his head unit is a pioneer 2800bs which has a 4 volt pre-out signal. All adjustments on the head unit is off and flat, I've put on basic crossovers points and slopes for all the drivers and we started testing with 40/40 on the head unit volume and also max on the phone volume. Gain settings are the same as before we put the dsr-1 in. On the config wizard we chose the 4 volt pre-out signal to match the head unit.

Off the start we noticed the output was weak in comparison and had to gain up to get proper levels. So to remedy this, we actually chose 2 volts on the config wizard and that made the dsr-1 output a much stronger cleaner signal. In the end we ended up choosing 1 volt pre-out input in the config wizard and got a very powerful signal which allowed us to lower gain on the amps.

Also when we were adjusting time alignment and output levels on the software, some how the right and left side got switched mid tune.... Utterly ridiculous. You cant get it back to normal without redoing the config wizard again. So i just lived with it and flipped the time alignment numbers. Stage is pretty dead center regardless of this roadblock.

I noticed the EQ cuts and attenuations make very small minor changes unless you really stack on the DB cuts, it goes by half db increments but i wish they just made it a full db increment because you barely notice anything with half increments.

Final thoughts
    Audio performance signal and tuning wise = A
    software stability/reliability = D+ for now
    Software ease of use = B, for what it is.

I still actually like this software and interface waaay better than the ARC audio PS8 processer i got to play with on fly_marlin, another socal buddy has. I might snag one up for myself in the future.

All in all, its worth what it costs The achievable blend between mid, midbass, tweeter and sub with the crossover slopes and points alone already made it worth it even with all the bugs in the software which are actually workable. Hopefully they make software updates to fix all these bugs we experience.

Audio wise, the signal is very clean with no noise and powerful as well if you choose the right config wizard setting. No worries on the sub signal, its very strong and powerful so SPL guys would love this as well. For dsp beginners, it'll be a steep learning slope for people used to simpler dsps and head units. Lets just say you cant really wing it by ear as you would with the simpler dsp/head units. An RTA will definitely be helpful with the EQ work.

The whole setup sounds a lot better even though we didnt spend much time on the EQ portion. We will later if he gets an RTA. But seriously though, **** sounds pretty fking sweet already just from crossover work and relatively flat EQ.
    @blazian87 , ya'll might want to see my experience with it. @Jcsaudio did you experience some of these issues? How was your tuning experience like? This unit requires much more extensive tuning work than the TWK's advanced mode especially the parametric EQ portion, you really need to know what you are doing precisely

09 Sienna Subs : Four Team Ascendant 18s......Sub amp: Two Taramps 15k
    Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS................................Mids/Highs amp: CT 500.2, ppi 600.2, ppi 900.4 bridged
    Front stage: Two PWX 10s per door midbass only....... PRV 6MR500 midrange....... Massive CT 2 german tweeters.
    320 amp Singer alt....... 1 group 34 under the hood 6 group31 agms in the back 560 amp hours total.

2. Likes blazian87 liked this post

LosIsATool is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7436 Post(s)

Re: DSR-1 review, the love hate relationship

360.3 has buggy software also. Rockford just can’t get that right.
    Wait until it starts dropping the tune. Might want to cap the tweeters just in case.

2014 Ford Fusion SE 2.0T
    JBL MS-8
    DD M1c, DD SS4A
    IDQ12v4 1.8cu sealed
    Hertz HT28
    Hertz HV165XL
    Knuconceptz OFC, Custom fit Soundrive RCAs.

Jcsaudio is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)

Jeff,

Your review is pretty much inline with what I experienced as well before I returned the DSR1 for a JL Twk 88. I just set up another Twk 88 last night right after I put my interior back together and I had all the crossovers, HP and LP filters, input/output settings, and time alignment done in 30 minutes. To be fair though this is my second JL Twk so I have experience with its software. Like you said the software for the DSR1 needs work and it was frustrating to set up. I can see someone being new to a DSP getting lost real easily with the DSR1. I had issues with the Bluetooth range too and having to go back through the setup mode to change something was frustrating. You cannot just directly input parameters like you can with other DSP's. I also had issues with the input and output gain settings that I set exactly to what the JL Twk was set at when I swapped it with my JL Twk for comparison. The input and output settings didn't seem to be what they should have been.

Another thing I thought was suspicious was that there are no technical specifications given for the chip used, the frequency it runs at, or the bit rate for DAC in the DSR1. For example most of the DSP's like the Twk are 48 khz with 24 bit DAC's. Its good that your experience with the sound quality was good, mine wasn't so much so but I didn't spend as much time with it as you did as I was so frustrated with it after a few hours of trying to set it up that I threw it in the shipping box and said to myself "forget this thing, I'm getting another JL".

Jeffdachef is offline Gunz That Turn on Nunz

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6844 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LosIsATool View Post
    360.3 has buggy software also. Rockford just can’t get that right.
    Wait until it starts dropping the tune. Might want to cap the tweeters just in case.
    havent had any tune drops yet. But yeah it has a secondary amp high pass filter in place

Quote Originally Posted by Jcsaudio View Post
    Jeff,

Your review is pretty much inline with what I experienced as well before I returned the DSR1 for a JL Twk 88. I just set up another Twk 88 last night right after I put my interior back together and I had all the crossovers, HP and LP filters, input/output settings, and time alignment done in 30 minutes. To be fair though this is my second JL Twk so I have experience with its software. Like you said the software for the DSR1 needs work and it was frustrating to set up. I can see someone being new to a DSP getting lost real easily with the DSR1. I had issues with the Bluetooth range too and having to go back through the setup mode to change something was frustrating. You cannot just directly input parameters like you can with other DSP's. I also had issues with the input and output gain settings that I set exactly to what the JL Twk was set at when I swapped it with my JL Twk for comparison. The input and output settings didn't seem to be what they should have been.

Another thing I thought was suspicious was that there are no technical specifications given for the chip used, the frequency it runs at, or the bit rate for DAC in the DSR1. For example most of the DSP's like the Twk are 48 khz with 24 bit DAC's. Its good that your experience with the sound quality was good, mine wasn't so much so but I didn't spend as much time with it as you did as I was so frustrated with it after a few hours of trying to set it up that I threw it in the shipping box and said to myself "forget this thing, I'm getting another JL".
    the dac sounds right around 24 bit. That 1 volt input setting trick i used made a huge difference, literally went from sounding like a weak 16 bit sh*t signal to a mega powerful clean signal, Like night and day from pure SQ alone without any other changes. The 4 and 3.5 volt setting, even with higher gain didnt sound right at all. Its like you took off a 5lb wet blanket off your system.

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS................................Mids/Highs amp: CT 500.2, ppi 600.2, ppi 900.4 bridged
    Front stage: Two PWX 10s per door midbass only....... PRV 6MR500 midrange....... Massive CT 2 german tweeters.
    320 amp Singer alt....... 1 group 34 under the hood 6 group31 agms in the back 560 amp hours total.

youdoofus is offline Well, hello Mr.Fancypants

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    679 Post(s)

awesome write up Jeff! Thanks!

2002 Honda Accord sedan V6 (automatic slushbox)
    2 Rockford p3 12s (dual 2 ohm)
    Pioneer AVH-X4500bt (takes about a year to start playing music on the USB input)
    PPI PC275 running 1 sub atm, waiting to put the SQ 2200.1 back in and add the PhoenixGold Elite.4 once my electrical is up to snuff
    Stock front and rears (theyre actually squirrels listening to headphones that ive trained to sing what theyre hearing)

I just added 5 SoundQubed stickers, and despite having no equipment upgrades, it added 76 DB!!!

blazian87 is online now CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    458 Post(s)

Sounds promising. Can't wait to install mine. Just by looking over the app, the tuning features look very advanced with all the little increments you can do so I kinda expected to put in more work into the tuning rather than an easy set it n forget it. I really need to get myself a RTA mic soon.

2009 Scion TC
    HU: Alpine INA-W910
    Processor: Alpine PXA-H800
    Amps: All new equipment coming soon....
    Front Stage: New front stage TBA~, JL ZR800's
    Subs: 4 10" Dayton HO's 3.2 cu ft @ 30hz
    Electrical: Singer 320a, XS D2400, Juicebox Lithium 20ah

Boomin_tahoe is offline Hurtin' feelings errrday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4878 Post(s)

@Jeffdachef , how did Chris manage to get some free time for you 2 to experiment with the DSR-1 knowing he was working crazy hours at work?! Poor guy hasn't been on the forum in months...

97 4 dr. Tahoe
    Optima redtop
    Alpine 9835
    Polk Audio MM6501 comps
    Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500D & 4.500 amps
    2 Sundown Audio X 15's Tuned @ 30Hz.
    Knukonceptz/Royal Excelene wiring

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6844 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Boomin_tahoe View Post
    @Jeffdachef , how did Chris manage to get some free time for you 2 to experiment with the DSR-1 knowing he was working crazy hours at work?! Poor guy hasn't been on the forum in months...
    his work gives him time to breathe once in a full moon before they drown his @ss in work again. One good thing is he's raking in that overtime pay. Just hope we can get his daily driver sounding absolutely beautiful and ready for SQ comps once the RTA arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by blazian87 View Post
    Sounds promising. Can't wait to install mine. Just by looking over the app, the tuning features look very advanced with all the little increments you can do so I kinda expected to put in more work into the tuning rather than an easy set it n forget it. I really need to get myself a RTA mic soon.
    expect a lot of quirks that comes with the cheap price lol. hope you find some of my work arounds useful when you start with the setup/tune.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4878 Post(s)

What's he do for a living? if it's ok to ask.

97 4 dr. Tahoe
    Optima redtop
    Alpine 9835
    Polk Audio MM6501 comps
    Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500D & 4.500 amps
    2 Sundown Audio X 15's Tuned @ 30Hz.
    Knukonceptz/Royal Excelene wiring

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6844 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Boomin_tahoe View Post
    What's he do for a living? if it's ok to ask.
    just check his facebook lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4878 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffdachef View Post
    just check his facebook lol.
    Ohhh I suppose I could do that.