Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Soundstream VIR-8011NT ---- Don't waste your time.

hispls is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

Icon8 Soundstream VIR-8011NT ---- Don't waste your time.

Review of Head Unit:

8" oversized in dash multimedia reciever.

First of all let me say this had a couple great features. The drop down face is perfect for my dash (in theory...but we'll get to that), it claims 4V pre amp outs and seems to put out about the same as my Kenwood that also claims 4V outs. It has a ton of inputs, outputs, and a good remote control. Sounds nice, and has a fair resolution screen.

Now what makes this thing unuseable.

The two things I bought this for was the fold down screen to fit my dash, and in theory it should handle USB flash drives and play AVI, MP4, DIVX, etc. formats.

As far as the screen, although I can angle it up a little to actually sit right in the dash, it always tries to put it back to straight down when I power down which does not work in my dash and ends up pressing too tight at the botom, Ideally with a better thought out unit I could set it to the position I want it and lock it there.

As for reading USB, that's where it is a total failure. I pop in an 8gb stick full of MP3's and it takes about 10 minutes to "initialize" or read it or whatever. Of course if you don't keep hitting the touch screen in the process it'll time out and switch back to radio and you need to start over. So I'm driving up to the store to get some milk and stuff and just about the time I get to the store it actually reads my USB drive. Navigation is dismal and filenames are trunkated to about 8 characters so telling one from another is next to impossible. Finally find a good song and figure I'll listen to it on the way home.....

Get out of the store, power up, and lo and behold, it needs to initialize again and of course won't save my place in the song, nor even at the same song. Even if you KEEP THE UNIT POWERED UP and switch to tuner or another input then switch back to USB, you have the same 10 minute wait and it won't save your spot.

OK we'll test with a different memory stick with less music....same thing, just less time to initialize.

Allright let's try a divx movie. Actually worked quite nice but same thing, wouldn't save my place in the track I'm watching.

I'm ******* raging right now. If this thing could save my spot in a track I'd keep it, but seriously it's ******* 2011, what head unit doesn't save your place in the track you're listening to anymore? What head unit didn't save your place in 1995? FFFFFUUUUUUU!!!!!!

Moral of the story, this is a complete piece of ****, and I'll never buy anything made by soundstream again. I've used Jensen in dash DVD players for the same money and been very pleased and I know Jensen isn't high end. I'll update this if I'm just missing something in the setup, but otherwise it's going back to audiosavings tomorrow and I'll try something else with hopefully better results.

crucial24 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Soundstream VIR-8011NT ---- Don't waste your time.

Thanks for the heads up! I wonder what their Ingenix line is like?

dragnix is offline LXIX

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crucial24 View Post
    Thanks for the heads up! I wonder what their Ingenix line is like?
    can't be worse than this?

The_Grimy_One is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Bahahaha.

---------- Post added at 11:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 PM ----------

Sorry to hear that tho.

Deck: Pioneer 80PRS
    Front Stage: Incriminator Audio I65C / Front Amp: Alpine MRV F540
    Sub: 12" Sundown ZV3 / Sub Amp: MMATS 2000.1
    Bought From: ge_off_me, Boomsday, Chemmins, impactas, Sleazebagger, NoPh33rRaCiNg, fasfocus00, 50cents, flastrongman, pborcich, ace_800, GAMEOVERCCA
    Sold To: Jamesmington, Juicee, Bunkrd you, Donnie Darko, ge_off_me, destined2race, todd131, Imjtnotu, mclerico83, aimology, Audiobahn, kpetree
    Traded With: ge_off_me, Imjtnotu

todd131 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Grimy_One View Post
    Bahahaha.

---------- Post added at 11:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 PM ----------

Sorry to hear that tho.

sounds like simple fixes in the firmware could help your experience with the unit. i would definitely contact SS and let them know your frustrations, i am sure you're not the only individual feeling the way you are. good companies tend to respond to market evaluations of their products in an effort to meet customer needs.

edit to add: sorry your experience has been not so good with the unit.

Closed Thread