Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Still cant figure out how to wire a fan.

hogger is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Still cant figure out how to wire a fan.

Aight what I am wanting to do is wire in a fan in my system. NOthing real fancy just a fan thatll cli on to something. First off could I buy a fan that plugged into a cigarete lighter in a car and then just cut off the plug and hack into the wires? Second, how in the hell do I wire it? I was thinking tap into the remote lead or something. If someone could just givee me a basic step by step procedur in lamens terms it would be greatly apprecciated. Thanks

Alpine Head unit
    (4) Four Infinity Kappa 5x7/6x8 Speakers
    (2) JL Audio 12" W3 Series subwoofers
    (1) Rockford Fosgate punch 500S Amplifier
    And two black fuzzy seat covers to top it all off
    PEACE

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm no genious when it comes to this stuff, but I will go out on a limb and say you have your power wire and a ground wire. Hook them up appropriately and see what happens. That's how most electric sockets work. I really don't like to play around with electric, I get shocked quite frequently, just plugging things into outlets. Just be careful.

Heresy is offline Going Against the Grain

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The best way imo would be to use a relay. Get a SPDT 30A relay and use the remote lead to switch the relay on and off. This prevents you from having to worry about having to turn on and off the fan. A direct fused line from the battery would go to the relay and then to the fan(s). The wiring diagram can be seen here http://www.the12volt.com/relays/page5.asp#rtol. It's relatively simple to hook up, just make sure you have a fuse 18 inches or less from the battery.

Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum -- Vegetius

"I told her about my conversation three years ago with the political leader of Islamic Jihad in Gaza. "What's the difference between suicide, which the Koran condemns, and martyrdom?" I asked. "Suicide," he replied, "is done out of despair. But remember: most of our martyrs today were very successful in their earthly lives." In short, there was a future to live for--and they detonated it anyway."

maylar is offline Electrical Weenie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    383 Post(s)
    Yes, a relay. Radio Shack's Cat.#: 275-226 is just the ticket.

Wire one side of the relay coil to ground, the other side you can splice into the remote lead at the amp.

Wire one contact to 12 volts (another lug under the amp's power connection screw) through a 1 amp inline fuse and to your fan. The other fan lead goes to ground.

dave
    ----------
    1999 Buick Park Ave Ultra
    Head Unit: JVC KWHDR720
    EQ: Audiocontrol EQL
    Front Stage: Hybrid Audio Technologies Imagine 5.25 mids, Morel Maximo tweets
    Sub Stage: Boston G3 10", 0.5 cu ft sealed
    Amp: PPI Phantom 900.4
    Rear Fill: Boston SE953 6X9's

Closed Thread

User Tag List