Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: 3 way SQ install questions and help

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

3 way SQ install questions and help

Sorry for the long post.

I just bought a pair of Beals Bros 8" midbass drivers. I have no specs on them. I know you are probably saying to yourself, why would he buy them if he doesnt know anything about them. Well they were cheap and in great shape. Now on the the questions.

As many of you know I am currently running a set of CDT HD-62 pushed by a Memphis 16-mc300
    ~150x2@4ohm (depending on voltage)
    ~240x2@2ohm ( " " " )
    Here is where the questions start.
    The Beals is 2 ohm nominal and the HDs are 4ohm. that would make the final load 6ohm for series ( not enough) or 1.3ohm for parallel ( too low). I have heard that lower impedance=more distortion. Is this correct? Can you use the Impedance rise testing to find if the actual load is acceptable from midbass to highs? Is running the two different VC configs going to matter?(probly not)

Next set of questions :lol2:

If the power handling on the midbass drivers are low then my best option would be get another amp. Need suggestions for an amp 25x2 to 150x2 @2ohm (spec depending) (Suggestions welcome)

I just upgraded to the Eclipse 8053 HU, In promode there is a crossover that may suit for my needs, havent played with it too much yet. If it will not work for my needs, does anyone have the time and knowledge to make me a bandpass set of x-overs.(I pay well )
    Or is active a better solution?

Last set of questions I promice

Since the middle part of next week I will be starting the glassed console I should/ will have extra glass to use for a set of kicks. I have two main options for mounting location.
    1) 6.5s in the doors and 8s in the kicks
    2) 8s in the doors and 6.5s in the kicks
    (I have plenty of room for either setup.)

Here are a few pics of the 8" drivers.

Last but not least I have all of this stuff that I could use. (suggestions welcome here too)

4 Focal Titanium Tweeters TN45. 2 Mounting brackets and tweeter enclosures with grilles
    2 Focal PolyGlass FAV1 crossovers for use with tweeter/5V2 setup
    2 Focal 5" 5V2 mids
    2 Focal PolyKevlar FAK2 crossovers
    2 JBL GTI 500 5 1/4 mids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: 3 way SQ install questions and help

Are you switching out the midbass or adding them? I mean which one do you want to do more.

squeak9798 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jntar
    The Beals is 2 ohm nominal and the HDs are 4ohm. that would make the final load 6ohm for series ( not enough) or 1.3ohm for parallel ( too low).

Go active with your HU's internal xovers. Get another amp to run separately to the 8's and bandpass them. No need to wire them together in any way....

I have heard that lower impedance=more distortion. Is this correct?
    Audible? No.

If the power handling on the midbass drivers are low then my best option would be get another amp.
    See above. Get another amp anyways. It's the "best" way for this to work out.

I just upgraded to the Eclipse 8053 HU, In promode there is a crossover that may suit for my needs, havent played with it too much yet.
    See above....yes, it will work if you get another amp. Run the HD's off the "highpass" output. Get another amp and run the 8's amp off of the "rear [bandpass]" channels and bandpass them. Subs off the non-fade outputs.

Or is active a better solution?
    Yes

Since the middle part of next week I will be starting the glassed console I should/ will have extra glass to use for a set of kicks. I have two main options for mounting location.
    1) 6.5s in the doors and 8s in the kicks
    2) 8s in the doors and 6.5s in the kicks
    (I have plenty of room for either setup.)
    8's in the door, 6.5's in Kicks. Midbass is less directional than midrange, so aiming of the midbass is less crucial.

4 Focal Titanium Tweeters TN45. 2 Mounting brackets and tweeter enclosures with grilles
    2 Focal PolyGlass FAV1 crossovers for use with tweeter/5V2 setup
    2 Focal 5" 5V2 mids
    2 Focal PolyKevlar FAK2 crossovers
    2 JBL GTI 500 5 1/4 mids
    None of that helps you in any way with this
    Last edited by squeak9798; 05-10-2005 at 01:31 PM.

Johnny Drama is offline Banned

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GCAdidas13
    Are you switching out the midbass or adding them? I mean which one do you want to do more.
    Definatly add, even though the HDs do an awsome job at midbass.
    I want to run a three way setup so I can have better volume out of the set
    The Idea is I am going to start glassing a console mid next week for the new 12" SI driver. I want to have every part matched to fill the void that the sub will make. < worded that kinda wrong

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squeak9798

Go active with your HU's internal xovers. Get another amp to run separately to the 8's and bandpass them. No need to wire them together in any way....

Audible? No.

See above. Get another amp anyways. It's the "best" way for this to work out.

See above....yes, it will work if you get another amp. Run the HD's off the "highpass" output. Get another amp and run the 8's amp off of the "rear [bandpass]" channels and bandpass them. Subs off the non-fade outputs.

Yes

Last set of questions I promice

8's in the door, 6.5's in Kicks. Midbass is less directional than midrange, so aiming of the midbass is less crucial.

None of that helps you in any way with this

You the man

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you are trying to add the midbass, you NEED to go active. If you are going to add the midbass under the HD crossover, it will change the load to the crossover and that affects crossover points. It will also change relative loudness to the tweeter.

You should keep the HD's on thier own channels, and then the midbass elements on a separate, bandpassed channel. I'll assume you will want a HP of about 60-70hz and a LP of 200-400 hz, depending on how the midbasses perform.

Now, depending on which impedances your extra crossovers are designed for, you may be able to use them to help you bandpass your midbass. That is, if both the impedance and crossover points are the same. If not, I would suggest doing a search for Fmod's on www.partsexpress.com and using a four channel amplifier, or a second amplifier. That is, if the head unit crossovers do you no good as Squeak suggested.

And in every way possible, I suggest sealing both your midbass and midrange speakers in fiberglass enclosures. But to be honest no matter how much extra fiberglass you have from doing the dash, you won't have enough for four fiberglass enclosures.

Are your HD's sealed right now? If not, try sealing them. You might not even need to add the dedicated midbass.

Good luck

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good luck[/QUOTE]
    If you are trying to add the midbass, you NEED to go active. If you are going to add the midbass under the HD crossover, it will change the load to the crossover and that affects crossover points. It will also change relative loudness to the tweeter.
    I wasnt going to tie into the HDs x-over, simply rin the im parallel to the 8s. I do however see what you are stating about the impedence changing the x-over freq.

You should keep the HD's on thier own channels, and then the midbass elements on a separate, bandpassed channel. I'll assume you will want a HP of about 60-70hz and a LP of 200-400 hz, depending on how the midbasses perform.

I was thinking HDs at 90 Highpass currently x-over at 75 I could even leave it there, 8s at 60 low pass and 100 HP

And in every way possible, I suggest sealing both your midbass and midrange speakers in fiberglass enclosures. But to be honest no matter how much extra fiberglass you have from doing the dash, you won't have enough for four fiberglass enclosures.

Are your HD's sealed right now? If not, try sealing them. You might not even need to add the dedicated midbass.
    Yes they are sealed and deadened in the doors. Like I said they have great midbass, but I want to have a better intrgration (for lack of a better work) with the subs.

Good luck
    Thanks!!

req
    req is offline am a mod.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

so you wanna use the beals for the midbass, HDs for the mids\highs, and the mag for the lows.

id suggest getting a little 2x50~100 amp for the 8's (not sure how much they can take) and scooping one of those coustic xovers maybe. im not too familiar with the eclipse crossover network - so i cant elaborate on that.

the problem with Fmods - is once you buy them - you are completly stuck with that xover point. if it dosnt blend well - you are out by like $25~35.

seperate amp, active crossover, sealed glass boxes, 8's in doors, comps in kicks = way to go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by req
    so you wanna use the beals for the midbass, HDs for the mids\highs, and the mag for the lows.

id suggest getting a little 2x50~100 amp for the 8's (not sure how much they can take) and scooping one of those coustic xovers maybe. im not too familiar with the eclipse crossover network - so i cant elaborate on that.

the problem with Fmods - is once you buy them - you are completly stuck with that xover point. if it dosnt blend well - you are out by like $25~35.

seperate amp, active crossover, sealed glass boxes, 8's in doors, comps in kicks = way to go.
    i really hope my 70hz flies. otherwise i am out $32.

meh. they make good protection for my sennheisers if that idea fails.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Anyone know where to find the T/S for the midbass? I am guessing that beals bros no longer makes speakers. Tired to call and it was disconnected LOL.

req
    req is offline am a mod.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i really hope my 70hz flies. otherwise i am out $32.

meh. they make good protection for my sennheisers if that idea fails.
    thats why id rahter spend another 40~50 and get an active xover rather than a Fmod, they are great for SSF's IMO. but once you get your setup all good - you could possibly replace the active processor with all Fmods - but you need to know the points where it all blends first - and its different with every install practically.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Guys, he has an 8053....there is NO NEED for Fmods or an external active xover. The internal xover will do everything he needs.

req
    req is offline am a mod.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

like i said, i do not have any expierence with these xovers or know anything about how they work - yada yada.

i stated this, i never said anything about getting another x over, i just said active

if the internal one will do the job, props - use it mang!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i stated this, i never said anything about getting another x over, i just said active
    (<---- God I love that smilie)

and scooping one of those coustic xovers
    pwnd

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jntar
    Anyone know where to find the T/S for the midbass? I am guessing that beals bros no longer makes speakers. Tired to call and it was disconnected LOL.

Hellooooo anyone?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast