Reload Thread: question about ohms...

Vorak is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

question about ohms...

I am going to buy an Eclipse 33250 amp. My question is about the power output to my subs. I have 2 10" Kicker Comps (not Comp VR's) right now. This amp will push:
    • - 310W x 2 Channel Max. Power Output at 2 ohms
      - 200W x 2 Channel 0.1% THD at 2 ohms Stereo, 20,[email protected] (RMS Continuous Power)
      - 130W x 2 Channel 0.1% THD at 4 Stereo, 20-20,[email protected] (RMS Continuous Power)
    The kicker subs are single 4 ohm subs (correct me if im wrong here). The amp pushes 130W x 2 at 4 ohm stereo. Does that mean that if I wire the subs up in Stereo configuration that they will only get 130W a peace? I don't want to blow my subs here.

Just so you know, I am planning on upgrading my subs to 2 12" Type S's in the near future but I will be getting the amp very soon.

Let me know if you need any more information. I would greatly appreciate some feedback. Thanks everybody.
    Last edited by Vorak; 07-21-2002 at 01:31 AM.

Vorak

more_spl is offline only have 1, but it's 12"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does that mean that if I wire the subs up in Stereo configuration that they will only get 130W a peace
    you don't actually wire subs in stereo or mono.. it's how it's set up into the amp that determines that.. you wire subs in Series or Paralel. paralel is mostly used becuz it lowers the Ohm load, thus allowing more power to come into the current. but make sure that whatever your load is the amp is able to handle it.. most amps can handle 2 ohms, and this is prolly what you'll wanna run it at. so wire your subs in paralel and it will reduce to a 2 ohm load.. your rating are given @ 13.8V, which is a little higher than the usual 12.2V, so remember when running the car and your volts are under 13.8 (usually most times) you will be getting less than the power your amp stated on it's ratings.. just so you know, remember this also......
    Power does not blow subs, distortion does... so when you hear your subs distorting or sounding "not right", they are being pushed too far. any more help?

i decided not to have a signature

Vorak is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    awesome...thanks for the help man.

I got one more question though... if its not called Stereo wiring then what is it called when you wire you subs on each channel. for example: the positive and negative of each channel are running to the positive and negative of each sub...whats that called? Its not parallel or series, i know that for sure.

also if the subs are 4 ohm subs and i wire it the way i discribed above, how much power would each sub receive?

thanks for the help...

Vorak

more_spl is offline only have 1, but it's 12"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hooking +TO+ and -TO- thru the 2 channels for 2 subs is called Parallel wiring.
    if you hook them up like this, the amp will see a 2 Ohm Load..

you will get this power = - 200W x 2 Channel 0.1% THD at 2 ohms Stereo, 20,[email protected] (RMS Continuous Power)
    but remember, this power rating is @ 13.8V which is a little high, considering standard is 12.2V. so don't expect to push as much power as 200x2Wrms all the time.

i decided not to have a signature

Closed Thread