Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 47

Reload Thread: If you owned your own shop?

  1. #1
    jsloan10's Avatar
    jsloan10 is offline Registered User



    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    anywhere
    Posts
    982
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    If you owned your own shop?

    If you you owned your own car audio store, what brands and models would you carry?, and why?.
    Now before you go and list all the ultra elite manufacturers out there, imagine that you have a limited amount of costomers with a limited budget (a city of roughly 50000) so the manufacturers must have affordable equipment that performs to the strict demands of the consumer.
    For example IMO I would not carry the following.
    Alpine
    Focal
    JL audio
    These three examples suffer from extrordnary markups in Canada (A 12 inch JL 12w0 costs over 300 dollars, an Alpine 300watt rms mono amp costs 500)

    Some brands that I think would be suitable
    Pioneer
    Kenwood
    Sony
    Boss
    Legacy/Pyramid/Pyle (same stuff diff name)
    Jensen
    JVC
    These can be found at reasonable prices in Canada and perform well in a proper install.

    I work in a small privatly owned store selling mainly Kenwood in its car audio department and I would really appreciate some input from real budget minded consumers like yourselves so I can make some recomendments to my boss on what to carry and to better serve my customers.







  2. #2
    cjjackson85's Avatar
    cjjackson85 is offline Banned



    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Idaho
    Age
    29
    Posts
    9,061
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: If you owned your own shop?



    Good recommendations in here --->http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=70823




  3. #3
    Whookid's Avatar
    Whookid is offline Pop You Like Spot Pimples



    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    30301
    Posts
    77
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: If you owned your own shop?

    I really dont see most people being happy with boss, pyramid, legacy, sony,....etc.

    I could understand having a few garbage companies for the newbies, but at least have something worth buying for those who really want a quality system. If not they wont be buying from you.




  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just to the right of hell proper
    Posts
    524
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: If you owned your own shop?

    If I owned my own, I would have to carry JL regardless of markup. I wouldn't carry Legacy/Pyramid/Pyle/Jensen (all four have the same parent company), Sony, or Boss. I would look at Xtant, JBL, CDT, RE, and SoundSplinter to name just a few. I would also look at some of the offname amps (like JL offers an entire line of amps that have the same circuitry as their slash amps but with a different name and look, their 2nds so to speak) which tend to have fewer features than their bigger counterparts with the same sound quality. The offname amps can sound just as good as the mainline products at a better cost. Oh yeah, if you are going to carry Jensen, make sure to include Audiobahn equipment... about the same quality if you ask me. Add in Kicker too... they make some good SPL speaker options, although I heard though some of the dealer channels that circuit city will be offering their entire line just shy of the L7 and Solo X line.

    good luck

    Your best way to determin what will work, look at all the major stores like best buy or circuit city and see what they don't have to offer. You can't get Alpine Type-R from Best Buy. Also, you can't get Kenwood Excelon line from most of those type of stores.




  5. #5
    phluser's Avatar
    phluser is offline Banned



    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    atlanta
    Posts
    143
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: If you owned your own shop?

    i would carry dls, alpine,image dynamics,arc audio, HELIX,mtx, audio control, and kennwood. screw jl,polk,boston,pioneer,*MB QUART*,and sony. i would really push id's components and subs- try to match up id with arc. for people on a budget you cant go wrong woth mtx good subs and amps. for the sq freaks gotta run with dls iridium's pair them up with helix. i would offer work for evrybody's financial needs- my speciality would be custom amp racks and encloseurs for trucks. i would call the shop sound creations




  6. #6
    hoss's Avatar
    hoss is offline imma genius. so **** it!



    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    inside icetee, while he is inside seths sister
    Age
    31
    Posts
    13,810
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: If you owned your own shop?

    sorry to go OT... but when i first clicked to look at this thread, i only did so because my tired eyes thought it was titled "if you owned your own sheep"

    and strangely, i was intrigued...




  7. #7
    audiolife's Avatar
    audiolife is offline WhAt?



    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    indiana
    Age
    43
    Posts
    14,375
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: If you owned your own shop?

    well in alot of cases you cant sell what you want. like kicker, rf, jl and others have protected areas and to go factory direct would require a very large buy in. 8-20k and they pretty well choose what your first order is not you. sure they kick in the good stuff but they also make you carry boxxes and 4" coaxials lol. then to top that off if all you have is high end you are killing yourself to the begineer because alot of 16 yr olds with 500 bucks want more than a deck and have it installed (because if you dont get him suited right then when he is 19 with a job wanting to spend 2500 or more he wont come a knocking to you if he had a bad time before). also with so many brands that are at the same level if you dont sell enough they can cut you off or offer it to a dealer near you...plus if you do big numbers in certain brands they give you rebates and special buys. you might love car audio as a hobby but trust me being in on the otherside selling the stuff isnt easy especially trying to compete with bb cc and ebay. some say its easy but that is because they are already established stores. in the 80's car audio was a big money maker now its like everything else lowwer margins and more competition so unless you can do it via a distributor and get rolling with very little capitol you will struggle or lose alot of your start up capitol(distributors dont carry the "high end stuff") and if someone is direct more than likely they are paying less than you already plus if you can get your hands on sideways highend stuff good luck selling it with a warranty because even if you can i will almost bet my right arm it takes 2-4 weeks longer at LEAST to get it fixxed IF at ALL and a direct dealer 9 times out of 10 will beable to sell it for less because he has less in it. that customer who has a buddy that had that peice and bought it authorized gets it fixxed fast and you cant you are totally screwwed as far as keeping him happy. if you want to carry a net brand they also have drawbacks (wont get into it as i think i already said too much) but it is alot tougher than you think you cant just sit back and say ill do this or that because trust me when its business its totally different.




  8. #8
    jsloan10's Avatar
    jsloan10 is offline Registered User

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    anywhere
    Posts
    982
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: If you owned your own shop?

    For further input-
    In my city we have 2 stores that carry basic car audio, Canadian tire and Wal-Mart they carry Sony, Pioneer, Scoshe, Koss and Jensen.
    There is also a mainsteam car audio shop that we compete with, Sound city, they carry Rockford Fosgate, Alpine, JL audio and Pioneer.
    So the following are represented
    JL audio
    Alpine
    Rockford Fosgate
    Pioneer
    Scoshe
    Koss
    Jensen
    We carry Kenwood and legacy and we have off site installation, We also have JVC and Pheonix gold but we are selling off remaining stock and doing away with them because JVC offers little to no dealer support and almost every Pheonix gold product we sell comes back for warranty repair or replacement. Our main bread and butter comes from selling cell phones and satellites followed by HD TVs and home audio then finally car audio.

    Ive done a little research and found a list to choose from of available Canadian car audio maufacturers.
    What do you think?

    Clarion - developer and manufacturer of cutting-edge car audio and multimedia equipment.- Possible

    Alpine - maker of a full range of mobile audio and video products.-Covered

    ARC Audio - manufacturer of speakers, amplifiers, and processors for mobile audio installations.-To expensive

    Audio Enhancers - manufactures speaker cabinets for cars and trucks.-Possible

    Audiobahn, Inc. - manufacturer of car audio amps, speakers, subs, video products, and more.-Possible

    AudioLink - specializes in professional car audio interface products, line-level converters, Bose interface devices, preamps, stereos, LOC, line output, Ford JBL, Nissan, GM and crossover devices.-Possible

    Becker of North America - manufacturers of CD players, radios, amps, and speakers. Has a repair facility and parts for Becker products and Hirschman antennas.- Not interested

    Blaupunkt - makers of a range of mobile audio, video, and GPS navigation systems.- Possible

    Bose Automotive - music systems for automobiles.-No thanks

    Boss Audio Systems-possible

    Bostwick - manufacturer of car audio products such as: woofers, tweeters, coaxial speakers, amplifiers, electronic crossovers and accessories.-To expensive?

    Cadence Sound Corporation - manufactures car audio amplifiers, subwoofers, speakers, signal processors and components.-I don't like their products

    Crossfire Car Audio - manufacturer of professional car audio components including amplifiers, signal processors, speaker components, woofers and boxes.-Never heard of them

    Elemental Designs - manufacturers of sub-woofers and eDead sound deadining material.-possible

    Fujitsu Ten Eclipse - manufacturer of car audio products, including speakers, head units, amplifiers, and more.-Way too expensive

    Harrison Labs - specializes in amplifiers, crossovers, capacitors, digital voltmeters, ammeters, car audio accessories, and high power battery enhancement equipment.-Not well known

    HiFonics - resource for HiFonics car audio amplifiers, loudspeakers, and signal processors. Includes installation technical assistance.-Possible

    Hollywood Sound Labs - producing amplifiers, speakers, crossovers and more.
    Image Dynamics -Possible

    Infinity Systems - manufacturer of high-performance speakers for home audio, home theatre, and car audio applications.-expensive

    JBL - maker of home audio, car audio, and home theatre speakers.-unsure

    Jensen - audiophile head units, speakers, amplifiers, and more.-Covered already

    JL Audio - manufacturer of car audio speakers, subwoofers, amplifiers, and enclosures.-Covered already

    Kenwood-We already carry that

    Kicker - offering a line of car audio products that includes amps, speakers, head units, and more.-Too expensive

    Kriss Industries - manufactures motorcycle headlight modulators, brake light flashers, driving and running lights, battery chargers, and amp and volt meters. Also makes sound level meters.-Not interested

    Legacy Car Audio - specializing in CD players, equalizers, amplifiers, and other audio equipment.-We already carry this

    MA Audio - manufacturer of car audio equipment including amps, speakers, subs, mobile video products, and more.-possible

    Milbert Amplifiers, Inc. - vacuum tube car audio equipment.-Too expensive

    Mobile Authority - Car stereo, audio, amps, crossovers, preamp, speaker boxes, manufactures, accessories, enclosure, radio, receivers, compact disk, cassette.-Too crappy

    Morel Speakers - manufacturer of loudspeakers for stereos and home theatres, car speakers, and raw drivers.-Expensive

    MTX Audio - makers of high performance car, home, and professional audio products.-High order requirment? mininmum sales requirment?, Need to learn more about dealship oppertunities, I really like this brand

    PhatNoise - manufactures high-capacity digital media systems and car MP3 players.-We already carry mp3 players

    Phoenix Gold - manufacturer of car audio equipment. Branded apparel available online.-Unreliable

    Pioneer Car - official site of the Northern American manufacturer. Products include CD players, DVD navigation, speakers, and subwoofers.-Covered

    Precision Interface Electronics, Inc. - manufacturer of OEM integration devices and car audio installation accessories.-Possible

    Pyle Audio - product news, catalogue information, and more.-Craptastic

    Rockford Fosgate - manufacturer of high performance car audio source units, signal processors, amplifiers, speakers, and accessories.-covered

    Sony Xplod - car audio products including CD, MP3, cassette, and speakers.
    Soundstream - manufacturer of car audio amplifiers and speakers.-covered

    Southern Audio Services, Inc. (SAS) - offers Bazooka subwoofer systems.-Possible

    Stinger Audio/Peripheral Interface - accessories - product information, technical help, tech tips, mobile audio links, car-of-the-month, and more.-Possible

    SubSolutions - maker of compact subwoofers for any vehicle.-Not well known

    TDS Audio - passive technology that enhances music playback in home/car systems.-Not interested

    Trisonicar Car Audio & Parts Manufacturer - manufacturer and exporter of car audio, consumer electronics, loudspeakers, and more.-Not interested

    U.S. Acoustics - manufacturer of mobile audio amps and home and business security products.-possible

    U.S. Amps Inc. - manufactures high fidelity, high power car audio amplifiers, signal processors, and crossovers, and sells high current 12V power supplies and batteries.-Too expensive

    Zapco - manufacturer of street and competition class car audio amplifiers and signal processors.-Too expensive




  9. #9
    audiolife's Avatar
    audiolife is offline WhAt?



    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    indiana
    Age
    43
    Posts
    14,375
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: If you owned your own shop?

    if you want to compete with known brands you gotta have a nitche to draw people away.
    A .kick their asses at local events in competition
    B. have at least 1 really solid demo car
    C. be priced right with the right product WITH better service
    D. at least 2 of the above with a little luck
    all the advertising in the world dont mean jack if you cant get customers to believe and with so much bullcrap out there and marketing tactics you will be fighting against you need proof flat out that you are better




  10. #10
    audiolife's Avatar
    audiolife is offline WhAt?



    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    indiana
    Age
    43
    Posts
    14,375
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: If you owned your own shop?

    Quote Originally Posted by jsloan10
    For further input-
    In my city we have 2 stores that carry basic car audio, Canadian tire and Wal-Mart they carry Sony, Pioneer, Scoshe, Koss and Jensen.
    There is also a mainsteam car audio shop that we compete with, Sound city, they carry Rockford Fosgate, Alpine, JL audio and Pioneer.
    So the following are represented
    JL audio
    Alpine
    Rockford Fosgate
    Pioneer
    Scoshe
    Koss
    Jensen
    We carry Kenwood and legacy and we have off site installation, We also have JVC and Pheonix gold but we are selling off remaining stock and doing away with them because JVC offers little to no dealer support and almost every Pheonix gold product we sell comes back for warranty repair or replacement. Our main bread and butter comes from selling cell phones and satellites followed by HD TVs and home audio then finally car audio.

    Ive done a little research and found a list to choose from of available Canadian car audio maufacturers.
    What do you think?

    Clarion - developer and manufacturer of cutting-edge car audio and multimedia equipment.- Possible

    Alpine - maker of a full range of mobile audio and video products.-Covered

    ARC Audio - manufacturer of speakers, amplifiers, and processors for mobile audio installations.-To expensive

    Audio Enhancers - manufactures speaker cabinets for cars and trucks.-Possible

    Audiobahn, Inc. - manufacturer of car audio amps, speakers, subs, video products, and more.-Possible

    AudioLink - specializes in professional car audio interface products, line-level converters, Bose interface devices, preamps, stereos, LOC, line output, Ford JBL, Nissan, GM and crossover devices.-Possible

    Becker of North America - manufacturers of CD players, radios, amps, and speakers. Has a repair facility and parts for Becker products and Hirschman antennas.- Not interested

    Blaupunkt - makers of a range of mobile audio, video, and GPS navigation systems.- Possible

    Bose Automotive - music systems for automobiles.-No thanks

    Boss Audio Systems-possible

    Bostwick - manufacturer of car audio products such as: woofers, tweeters, coaxial speakers, amplifiers, electronic crossovers and accessories.-To expensive?

    Cadence Sound Corporation - manufactures car audio amplifiers, subwoofers, speakers, signal processors and components.-I don't like their products

    Crossfire Car Audio - manufacturer of professional car audio components including amplifiers, signal processors, speaker components, woofers and boxes.-Never heard of them

    Elemental Designs - manufacturers of sub-woofers and eDead sound deadining material.-possible

    Fujitsu Ten Eclipse - manufacturer of car audio products, including speakers, head units, amplifiers, and more.-Way too expensive

    Harrison Labs - specializes in amplifiers, crossovers, capacitors, digital voltmeters, ammeters, car audio accessories, and high power battery enhancement equipment.-Not well known

    HiFonics - resource for HiFonics car audio amplifiers, loudspeakers, and signal processors. Includes installation technical assistance.-Possible

    Hollywood Sound Labs - producing amplifiers, speakers, crossovers and more.
    Image Dynamics -Possible

    Infinity Systems - manufacturer of high-performance speakers for home audio, home theatre, and car audio applications.-expensive

    JBL - maker of home audio, car audio, and home theatre speakers.-unsure

    Jensen - audiophile head units, speakers, amplifiers, and more.-Covered already

    JL Audio - manufacturer of car audio speakers, subwoofers, amplifiers, and enclosures.-Covered already

    Kenwood-We already carry that

    Kicker - offering a line of car audio products that includes amps, speakers, head units, and more.-Too expensive

    Kriss Industries - manufactures motorcycle headlight modulators, brake light flashers, driving and running lights, battery chargers, and amp and volt meters. Also makes sound level meters.-Not interested

    Legacy Car Audio - specializing in CD players, equalizers, amplifiers, and other audio equipment.-We already carry this

    MA Audio - manufacturer of car audio equipment including amps, speakers, subs, mobile video products, and more.-possible

    Milbert Amplifiers, Inc. - vacuum tube car audio equipment.-Too expensive

    Mobile Authority - Car stereo, audio, amps, crossovers, preamp, speaker boxes, manufactures, accessories, enclosure, radio, receivers, compact disk, cassette.-Too crappy

    Morel Speakers - manufacturer of loudspeakers for stereos and home theatres, car speakers, and raw drivers.-Expensive

    MTX Audio - makers of high performance car, home, and professional audio products.-High order requirment? mininmum sales requirment?, Need to learn more about dealship oppertunities, I really like this brand

    PhatNoise - manufactures high-capacity digital media systems and car MP3 players.-We already carry mp3 players

    Phoenix Gold - manufacturer of car audio equipment. Branded apparel available online.-Unreliable

    Pioneer Car - official site of the Northern American manufacturer. Products include CD players, DVD navigation, speakers, and subwoofers.-Covered

    Precision Interface Electronics, Inc. - manufacturer of OEM integration devices and car audio installation accessories.-Possible

    Pyle Audio - product news, catalogue information, and more.-Craptastic

    Rockford Fosgate - manufacturer of high performance car audio source units, signal processors, amplifiers, speakers, and accessories.-covered

    Sony Xplod - car audio products including CD, MP3, cassette, and speakers.
    Soundstream - manufacturer of car audio amplifiers and speakers.-covered

    Southern Audio Services, Inc. (SAS) - offers Bazooka subwoofer systems.-Possible

    Stinger Audio/Peripheral Interface - accessories - product information, technical help, tech tips, mobile audio links, car-of-the-month, and more.-Possible

    SubSolutions - maker of compact subwoofers for any vehicle.-Not well known

    TDS Audio - passive technology that enhances music playback in home/car systems.-Not interested

    Trisonicar Car Audio & Parts Manufacturer - manufacturer and exporter of car audio, consumer electronics, loudspeakers, and more.-Not interested

    U.S. Acoustics - manufacturer of mobile audio amps and home and business security products.-possible

    U.S. Amps Inc. - manufactures high fidelity, high power car audio amplifiers, signal processors, and crossovers, and sells high current 12V power supplies and batteries.-Too expensive

    Zapco - manufacturer of street and competition class car audio amplifiers and signal processors.-Too expensive
    kove is a good one to look at and us amps are different now with at least 2 of their lines and oz is another goody to do something with as they will work with you.




  11. #11
    audiolife's Avatar
    audiolife is offline WhAt?



    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    indiana
    Age
    43
    Posts
    14,375
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: If you owned your own shop?

    http://www.mobileaudio.com/intdir/ click on manufacturers also reps and distributors
    http://www.12volt.com/ click on links these will get you alot of info on brands and contacts




  12. #12
    jsloan10's Avatar
    jsloan10 is offline Registered User

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    anywhere
    Posts
    982
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: If you owned your own shop?

    Thank you audiolife.




  13. #13
    audiolife's Avatar
    audiolife is offline WhAt?



    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    indiana
    Age
    43
    Posts
    14,375
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: If you owned your own shop?

    need any help let me know advice is free worked retail for 6 yrs, owned and worked a car audio distributorship for a yr was a rep for 5 months and an installer for 4 years plus fooked with this stuff for a total of 16 years. trust your initial gut and dont get into anything weird. after you see what they have to offer think exactly what to do with it where it falls in your line up then dont more than double stack companies at levels of performance/price points because it can really effect your bottom line depending on the company.




  14. #14
    squeak9798's Avatar
    squeak9798 is offline Banned



    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    26,300
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: If you owned your own shop?

    Quote Originally Posted by Whookid
    I really dont see most people being happy with boss, pyramid, legacy, sony,....etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spr0ket
    If I owned my own, I would have to carry JL regardless of markup. I wouldn't carry Legacy/Pyramid/Pyle/Jensen (all four have the same parent company), Sony, or Boss.


    You'd be amazed........

    In my area, the shop that sells all the crappy equipment (Legacy, lower-end Lanzar, Pyramid, Crunch, Power Acoustic, etc) is the one that's always packed and doing the best. Yet the local JL dealer just went out of business a few months ago

    You gotta offer what sells and what people buy, not what you *think* would be nice to sell or the brands that you like. Just because you like JL, doesn't mean people will buy it. And if people don't buy it, you're not going to be in business long.




  15. #15
    monte_carlo97's Avatar
    monte_carlo97 is offline Power Acoustik Punk



    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Midwest Ohio
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,509
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: If you owned your own shop?

    Here is what i would Carry
    Memphis
    Rockford Fostgate
    JL
    Audiobahn - Well because some people just want it to look good and not care about sound
    Power Acoustik - Awesome Bang for buck
    JBL
    Infinity
    Alpine
    Eclipse
    Pyramid - Just so you can compare a JL sub to a Pyramid sub.



    97 Monte Carlo
    H/U - Kenwood Cd\MP3(KDC-MPV6022) - Up For Sale
    The All Power Acoustik System (Removed)
    Amps(2) - Class D 3000watt (A3000DB)
    Subs(2) - 15" MOFO 2600watt(MOFO-15)
    Caps(2) - 2.4 Farad Digital Cap (PC2.4)
    EQ(1) - 7 Band Preamp Graphic Equalizer (PEQ70)
    Rears(1 Pair) - 4-Way 6x9's (XP2K694)
    Fronts(1 Pair) - 2-Way 5 1/4's (XP2K52)
    Comp Set(1 Set) - 5 1/4 Component Set (XP2K50C)
    Comp Amp(1) - 4 Channel amp 960 watts max Plasma Sphere (TS960-4)
    Monitors(1) - 7" Widescreen TFT/LCD (PT713HRS)
    DVD H/U(1) - DVD Player (PADVD610)
    Box - 9 ft^3 box tuned to 35 hz.
    New System Yet To Be Determined. Although It Will Be All MA Audio.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Should I go to another car audio shop to do my install?
    By Intercooler in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-28-2005, 11:25 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-16-2005, 10:46 PM
  3. Hahah beezlebub got owned!!!!
    By Randy Savage in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-14-2005, 03:51 PM
  4. Refurbished Items???
    By KARLEON in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-02-2002, 02:11 AM
  5. New Car Audio Shop
    By orion4me in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-09-2002, 07:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts

1e2 Forum