Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Sound Deadening Comparison

T3mpest is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Sound Deadening Comparison

Does anyone know how much Dynamat it takes to equal 1 gallon of SS spectrum?

eric77 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Sound Deadening Comparison

30-50 sq ft

soundsplinter rl-p 15 (145.1 dB @ 45 hz), 2.5 cu ft @ 28 hz, eD nine.1, NEXT VRz 2.200, NEXT VRz 2.400, Coustic XM-6, eD eu-650 mids, CDT tw-24 tweets, pioneer deh-6300, cadence ZX651, edead, knukonceptz
    ALL SOLD

swaptrex is offline Supporting Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

^x2, but i would guess closest to 40 sq ft.

EFFENDI is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

IMHO, liquid deadener is the best way to go, I went through half a gallon and I have covered about 20 square feet so far, and I have been applying 3+ coats to each surface. So, I would estimate the whole gallon is good for at least the equivalent of 40 square feet of mat deadener, but the main advantage is that liquid will outperform the mat.

References: rattlebrain, dabossofbosses, sampson, Netherland24, cjjackson85,cheeseburger85 abcheng, bumpin_beamer, BigRick31, AudioPLaya368

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EFFENDI
    IMHO, liquid deadener is the best way to go, I went through half a gallon and I have covered about 20 square feet so far, and I have been applying 3+ coats to each surface. So, I would estimate the whole gallon is good for at least the equivalent of 40 square feet of mat deadener, but the main advantage is that liquid will outperform the mat.
    why will it outperform it?

Nightskye is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm going at about the same rate as Effendi with my Spectrum.

Did inside my 4 doors this weekend, 3 coats on the fronts, 2 on the rears. A little less than half a gallon left, ~18 sq ft left or so I reckon.

Oh man, what a difference. Nice solid thud when I shut the doors, and I could hear the difference immediately when I fired up my system, tighter bass, crisper highs and more detail in the music. Dramatic reduction in road noise on the test ride.

The only comparison I can make is to Dynamat Extreme, and that was in a friend's car. I thought DE was less effective, but we did his on the outside of the door (behind the door panel), not the inside of the door like I did.

'06 Civic Sedan

Clarion DXZ855MP
    PPI PC4800.2
    ID CTX65CS
    IDQ10v3
    Second Skin deadened

EFFENDI is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon33 Re: Sound Deadening Comparison

Quote Originally Posted by swaptrex
    why will it outperform it?
    Liquid has a few significant advantages. Most of which make it a better solution for acoustical control than constrained layer (mat-based) deadener.

1. Liquid deadener has better adhesion to metal body panels (where most vibration and rattling occurs) than mat-based deadeners. Since mat is less flexible, and cannot be placed in the same areas, liquid has an inherent advantage in its design, in that it can cover more area of a panel than mat.

2. Less mass/material is needed to achieve the same, or better, results with liquid when compared mat-based deadeners.

3. Typically, liquid has better temperature handling capabilities than mat-based deadeners. Mat has the tendancy to melt under high heat. Liquid, once cured, exhibits very high resistance to heat, and does not melt.

4. Liquid has a lower cost per square foot, when compared to mat-based deadeners. ie. 40 square feet of Second Skin Damplifier (mat deadener) is $170.00 ($4.25/sqft). A single gallon of Second Skin Spectrum (liquid deadener), which covers 40 square feet is , only $59.00 ($1.48/sqft). Mat is over twice as expensive per square foot.

5. Finished installation/application of liquid looks better than mat-based deadeners. Mat often has a shiny metallic backing (distracting, obvious). Liquid, once cured has the look of bedliner (closer to an OEM material).

6. Liquid is easier to apply than mat. Simply paint, or spray it on. No cutting, no rolling. Messes/mistakes are more easily cleaned up (if liquid is water-based, it cleans up with water or acetone) than mat deadener.

7. Liquid has very little/none detectable residual odor. Lets face it, almost all mat deadener stinks.

8. Liquid is teh l33t

References: rattlebrain, dabossofbosses, sampson, Netherland24, cjjackson85,cheeseburger85 abcheng, bumpin_beamer, BigRick31, AudioPLaya368

osiris999 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

agrees

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EFFENDI
    Liquid has a few significant advantages. Most of which make it a better solution for acoustical control than constrained layer (mat-based) deadener.

1. Liquid deadener has better adhesion to metal body panels (where most vibration and rattling occurs) than mat-based deadeners. Since mat is less flexible, and cannot be placed in the same areas, liquid has an inherent advantage in its design, in that it can cover more area of a panel than mat.

2. Less mass/material is needed to achieve the same, or better, results with liquid when compared mat-based deadeners.

3. Typically, liquid has better temperature handling capabilities than mat-based deadeners. Mat has the tendancy to melt under high heat. Liquid, once cured, exhibits very high resistance to heat, and does not melt.

4. Liquid has a lower cost per square foot, when compared to mat-based deadeners. ie. 40 square feet of Second Skin Damplifier (mat deadener) is $170.00 ($4.25/sqft). A single gallon of Second Skin Spectrum (liquid deadener), which covers 40 square feet is , only $59.00 ($1.48/sqft). Mat is over twice as expensive per square foot.

5. Finished installation/application of liquid looks better than mat-based deadeners. Mat often has a shiny metallic backing (distracting, obvious). Liquid, once cured has the look of bedliner (closer to an OEM material).

6. Liquid is easier to apply than mat. Simply paint, or spray it on. No cutting, no rolling. Messes/mistakes are more easily cleaned up (if liquid is water-based, it cleans up with water or acetone) than mat deadener.

7. Liquid has very little/none detectable residual odor. Lets face it, almost all mat deadener stinks.

8. Liquid is teh l33t
    all makes sense now...........

Closed Thread