Reload Thread: 200 or 250 Amp Alt?

Alpine CDA-9815 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

200 or 250 Amp Alt?

Well I should be running around 2400-2600 watts RMS in my new system. I'm only going to do one deep cycle battery, magic 3 upgrade and a 200 or 250 amp alt. I'm wondering if 200 will be enough, or should I get the 250?

Alpine CDA-9887 | CDT EF-61CF's | 12" Diamond Audio TDX | Diamond Audio D5 1200.1| Diamond Audio D5 600.4| KnuKonceptz Wiring
    Refs (sold to): Pitchblack98 | phyphoestilic | str8cyko | rotciv005 | gixxer9 |
    Refs (bought from): xreymax | denali804 | BLD_25 |

johnecon2001 is offline SSA/ROE Super-Møderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: 200 or 250 Amp Alt?

I'm assuming your using 1/0 awg for the main wire. So you would fuse according to the maximum capacity of the wire. Max for 1/0 is 350A. So anything from 200-350A would be fine.

Don't PM me, I'm not here. Find me on SSA or ROE
    No, I won't re-upload the Big3 pictures. Don't ask.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess I'll just get the 200 amp one then.

Alpine CDA-9887 | CDT EF-61CF's | 12" Diamond Audio TDX | Diamond Audio D5 1200.1| Diamond Audio D5 600.4| KnuKonceptz Wiring

deaf tones is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

main question!!! one thing I would ask the person/company making the alt is:

what is the output at IDLE!!!

Different companies make the same 200 amp alt...but some companies require 3000rpm to get the full 200 amps. A 200 amp alt that only does 80 amps at idle is basically useless when you're in traffic, stop lights, parked...what ever (with those alts, if ANY damage is ever done, most likely that's when it would be, at idle).

It might cost you a little extra money but well worth it. Def. worth asking.

Any respectable company would have no problem giving you a demo of the load test of their alts. They should show you different outputs at different rpm's plus the true load test to prove the maximum output.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by deaf tones
    main question!!! one thing I would ask the person/company making the alt is:

what is the output at IDLE!!!

Different companies make the same 200 amp alt...but some companies require 3000rpm to get the full 200 amps. A 200 amp alt that only does 80 amps at idle is basically useless when you're in traffic, stop lights, parked...what ever (with those alts, if ANY damage is ever done, most likely that's when it would be, at idle).

It might cost you a little extra money but well worth it. Def. worth asking.

Any respectable company would have no problem giving you a demo of the load test of their alts. They should show you different outputs at different rpm's plus the true load test to prove the maximum output.
    Yes I also thought about this, but then again for $240 I really don't care. I don't feel like spending $400 on an alt that wont even fit on right, but will put out 125 amps at idle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hehehe true so true.

240amp at idle 290+ amp peak for $300 in the original stock alt housing. 1/0 wire and solenoid included.

Shop around...usually the local guys do the best work. Personally I would stay away from any online alt dealer. Not knocking their work or reputation at all, don't get me wrong.

$240 that sounds like an irragi alt or ohio?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I was just going to get one from Alterstart. I got one there for my truck, and it woked awesome. Put out over 125 amps at idle, but it didn't not fit right and I had to mod the backet some to get it to fit. I called the guys at Alterstart about this, and they pretty much told me I knew nothing about what I was doing and pretty much to "f off". So therefor I will not do business with them again. I'm getting this one from Nathan at http://www.excessiveamperage.com/ cuz from what I hear he dose very good work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ps...I would start looking at places that work on big diesels. The amount of equipment and lights those rigs have is crazy...they NEED the extra juice.

Places that specialize in car audio will charge you more just because it's car audio.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alpine CDA-9815
    Well I was just going to get one from Alterstart. I got one there for my truck, and it woked awesome. Put out over 125 amps at idle, but it didn't not fit right and I had to mod the backet some to get it to fit. I called the guys at Alterstart about this, and they pretty much told me I knew nothing about what I was doing and pretty much to "f off". So therefor I will not do business with them again. I'm getting this one from Nathan at http://www.excessiveamperage.com/ cuz from what I hear he dose very good work.

ouch..that *****!!! Exactly why I stay away from online places like that. If you EVER have a problem the brush off is usually what is received. Local shops are easy to get too and usually more than willing to help!

Not to mention they can just look at the problem rather than have it discribed to them.

a warranty is always good too.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think I got it in me to try and find someone around where I live to try and rebuild my alt. Even thought it might be easier if I did find someone, cuz then I could just get it done, not have to worring about having it shipped to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alpine CDA-9815
    I don't think I got it in me to try and find someone around where I live to try and rebuild my alt. Even thought it might be easier if I did find someone, cuz then I could just get it done, not have to worring about having it shipped to me.

exactly . plus any cost of shipping can go toward higher amperage. c'mon, you know you wanna go find a local guy. keep it home grown

**edit**
    now that I think about it...unless you're in the cuts and an hour away from any small town a local shop might not be so local LOL. that might be a deciding factor.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by deaf tones
    exactly . plus any cost of shipping can go toward higher amperage. c'mon, you know you wanna go find a local guy. keep it home grown

**edit**
    now that I think about it...unless you're in the cuts and an hour away from any small town a local shop might not be so local LOL. that might be a deciding factor.
    Nah it's just that I'm a lazy bastard, and it's hard enough to find anyone to work on this car. $240 is shipped as well.

Closed Thread