Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Ramos, Can you explain the different methods of creating fiberglass enclosures

one_bad_55 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ramos, Can you explain the different methods of creating fiberglass enclosures

Ramos,

Can you explain the different ways to create fiberglass enclosures? I have seen several different methods and I would like to learn more since I will be creating some in my 55 chevy.

One method I have seen is using thin MDF cut to a pattern and then laying a flexible cloth over it and then covering it with fiberglass resin until it hardens. Then it is sanded and covered to match the upholestry.

What other methods are there and is one prefered over the other?

Thanks in advance for the info.

BAD 55

ramos is offline Still learning

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Let's see there are several different methods. One way really isn't better than the other. Each has it's place. And will work better in different situations. The method you described is a good way to make free form fiberglass parts. It's also an easy way to build sub boxes and what not that will end up lite and every bit as strong if not stronger than MDF.

Another way way is to make a mold. Either of a trim panel or such that you want to modify. Or making a free form mold you construct. You can use all kinds of stuff to make molds. Cardboard, craft foam ( the green stuff they stick fake flowers in) spray foam insulation ( great stuff is a name brand of the product ).

What did you have in mind ? Give me an idea of what you want to do, and I can try an offer the easiest way and maybe some helpful tips, and hints

one_bad_55 is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think I have it easy in my case because all the parts I want to make will start out as a flat panel. Back in 55 they were not using molded plastics or any thing fancy do mold the door panels.

I want to create door panels that have contours and give the doors a more updated look than just a flat panel. I also want something that will help the sound of the speakers instead of just cutting holes in the door panel.

I think the way I described is the way to go but I thought I would see if there was any other ways to create a more modern look in the car.

Thanks for your help.

BAD 55

zane is offline Bored.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Check out these reference links. Quite possibly some of the finest available with more detailed step by step instruction.

http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/fibrglas.htm

http://momentum.soundillusions.net/a...onaug2001.html

http://momentum.soundillusions.net/d...ondec2001.html

take it easy,

-zane

Webslave - www.SoundwavesCS.net

"The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait till that other is ready."

- Henry David Thoreau

Closed Thread