Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Help with Amplifier (Confusing)

biiqdanz is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Help with Amplifier (Confusing)

I have a Rockford 700's amp pushing two 12 inch mtx thunder 6000's set at svc 4 ohm so i was pushing 175 watts each sub. It was knocking hard for about 2 years. Recently the left sub blew. Did it get too old or what because those subs i believe are 4 years old because its been thru many people i mean i have my rca cables close to eachother in other words i have the rca cables of the subwoofer close to my interior amp sound rca cables so i have 2 amps and ever since ive installed the interior amp, the interior speakers have been whining i also didnt scrape the paint off for the ground wire.Thats my first question. Second question is im bought two 12 inch mtx thunder 8000's DUAL 4 ohms. I need some help in how to bridge it to (4 ohm load bridged (mono) ). Third quesion is why the cross over frequency knob doesnt make a difference in the sound. When i first bought it it made the bass stronger everytime i touched that knob for some reason, unless i was just hearing things. And i took it back to rockford to get it fixed and everytime i adjust that knob i dont hear any difference. Is it supposed to make a difference? thats about it theres 3 questions in there i need some help badly thanks.

cheeseburger35 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Help with Amplifier (Confusing)

1) i think your subs just let go.. i don't think the rca's caused that

2) take each sub and wire it in series...attach one positive terminal to a negative terminal....then the 2 remaining terminals go out to your amp... do this to both subs and then bridge the 2 sets of wires onto your amp...

3) the knob is comonly refered to as a bass knob... it was doing its job before you had it sent off.. it's a bass boost.. it adjusts how hard the subs hit.. and now if it's not working it could be 2 things they made it to where it won't work.. or you have a bad wire.. use another phone cord to see if that makes it work again...

have fuN!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cheeseburger35
    1) i think your subs just let go.. i don't think the rca's caused that

2) take each sub and wire it in series...attach one positive terminal to a negative terminal....then the 2 remaining terminals go out to your amp... do this to both subs and then bridge the 2 sets of wires onto your amp...

3) the knob is comonly refered to as a bass knob... it was doing its job before you had it sent off.. it's a bass boost.. it adjusts how hard the subs hit.. and now if it's not working it could be 2 things they made it to where it won't work.. or you have a bad wire.. use another phone cord to see if that makes it work again...

have fuN!

Thanks man but on question number 3 it isnt the bass knob. Its the CROSSOVER frequency Knob on the amplifier itsself. I dont know if that helps heh .

squeak9798 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by biiqdanz
    Recently the left sub blew. Did it get too old or what because those subs i believe are 4 years old because its been thru many people
    As mentioned, it was just it's time more than likely. Things don't last forever. But, without more info I'd say it just got worn out.

so i have 2 amps and ever since ive installed the interior amp, the interior speakers have been whining i also didnt scrape the paint off for the ground wire.Thats my first question.
    That is the infamous "alternator whine". It is caused by either a poor amp ground (as you said, the paint wasn't scraped off first) or a bad ground for the headunit. You need to 1) clear away the paint from the amp ground, and if that doesn't work 2) find a new place to ground the amp to, and try regrounding the headunit.

Second question is im bought two 12 inch mtx thunder 8000's DUAL 4 ohms. I need some help in how to bridge it to (4 ohm load bridged (mono) ).
    Wire them like this:

Third quesion is why the cross over frequency knob doesnt make a difference in the sound. When i first bought it it made the bass stronger everytime i touched that knob for some reason, unless i was just hearing things. And i took it back to rockford to get it fixed and everytime i adjust that knob i dont hear any difference. Is it supposed to make a difference?
    It should make SOME difference. What is should do is attenuate the higher frequencies so that your subs only play bass. If it doesn't do that, send it back in and get it fixed.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks man, but you know what crossover knob im speaking about right? Not the bass knob one but the one on the amp. I figured it was broken because when i first bought it it was working fine i just had to be sure.

Closed Thread