Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Something wrong with my "woof" need help.

blue92ludesi is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Something wrong with my "woof" need help.

Hey all, Ok heres the deal. I have a MTX Thunder 6152 Amp that i got from a friend and i bought a Kicker CVR 12" a while back.

My question is.

1. is that even a good combo?

2. for some reason the woofer is hitting the wrong way allthesudden, like it ***** in instead of pushing out. alltho everythign is wired right.

3. i think i blew the voice coil, cause when i thouch one side of the rubber it does a weird scratchy noice from the coil, altho if i thouch the other side its fine.

Any ideas?

Mario

squeak9798 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Something wrong with my "woof" need help.

Quote Originally Posted by blue92ludesi
    1. is that even a good combo?
    Depends on the impedence of your sub.

2. for some reason the woofer is hitting the wrong way allthesudden, like it ***** in instead of pushing out. alltho everythign is wired right.
    I guess I don't know what you mean by "***** in instead of pushing out", so I guess you need to go a little more in depth into the problem.

3. i think i blew the voice coil, cause when i thouch one side of the rubber it does a weird scratchy noice from the coil, altho if i thouch the other side its fine.
    Please tell us your not pushing in on one side of the speaker. That's not a good thing to do.

blue92ludesi is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1. when u mean impedence do u mean ohms? if so then it sais 2 on the woofer.

2. ok when yer bass dropps u see the woofer wush outward right.

well mine doesed push outward it ***** inward.

3. i dont JAM on it i mean like i was checkign if the woofer was loose, so i touched the rubber around it, and on one side when i thouched it, sound came from the enter of the woofer (im guessing the coil) and then i put my finger on another part of the rubber and it was fine.

B@SSAN8OR is offline plexiglass is tha shiznit

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

is the sub a dual voic coil? if so do you have it wired in paralell or series? did you make sure that the wires are corectly wired? like pos to pos and neg to neg cause if you have it reverse like pos to neg and neg to pos then it will be in a 180* phase difference and it will do that.

if you have a deck that you can change the phase output on it then check that or if you amp has a phase switch then check that.

nothing is bad from having it out of phase.... makes it so that when your other speakers push it pulls and vice versa.. sometimes it sounds better for different types of music.

when you press on one side of the surround it is most likely making it push onto the voice voil and it will scratch. dont do that ever when it is playing. the magnet is made to keep the coil straight. so dont worry if it seems loose you will know when the sub goes bad

myspace

AIM: bassan8or
    YAHOO: bassan8or

squeak9798 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blue92ludesi
    1. when u mean impedence do u mean ohms? if so then it sais 2 on the woofer.
    So, I'm going to guess that it is 2ohm per coil, since the CVR subs are dual voice coils. How do you have it wired? Cause if you have it wired in parallel (+ to + and - to -) then I believe you are at an impedence below what the amp can handle......

So check and see how that is wired

2. ok when yer bass dropps u see the woofer wush outward right.

well mine doesed push outward it ***** inward.
    Subs don't just move out, they move in just as far as they move out.....so you can see how that's not really a problem. If it's moving, that's a good thing.

But how does it actually sound?? Could be something like a leaky box.

3. i dont JAM on it i mean like i was checkign if the woofer was loose, so i touched the rubber around it, and on one side when i thouched it, sound came from the enter of the woofer (im guessing the coil) and then i put my finger on another part of the rubber and it was fine.
    As bass mentioned, you really don't want to apply pressure to either side of the sub by itself (not really a good idea to push on the sub at all). You run the risk of causing the voice coil to rub, doesn't mean something was wrong with the sub before hand. Is it making that same mechanical sound when it's playing??

Closed Thread