Reload Thread: HU and the SUB

marcopolo is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon32 HU and the SUB

Hello guyz!

How can solve this situation:

I am running my front and rear speakers with internal HU amp and I have an amp + sub attached to HU as well. Now, I would like to lower the bass level on my 4 speakers (get the bass on -7), but keep the bass volume on my sub the same. Whenever I lower the bass with bass control on the HU, the bass is also lowered at my pre-out to which I have my sub amp connected.

Is there a head unit, that would have preouts that are completely independent of the bass and treble controls of the HU and would only change volume when it would be changed on the HU? Or is there another way of dealing with this?

Thanx in advance to all of ya!

- Pioneer DEH-5500MP
    - Magnat Xtrema 216 components
    - macAudio aluminium 12" sub
    - Phase Linear 1.2kW amp

Wonderbread is offline Against Avatar Theft

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    the only thing i can think of are bass blockers, or an EQ....

MSN - pnenis@hotmail.com
    Add me if you have any questions!
    Quote Originally Posted by PT Teal
    I woke up one morning and found a cop at my door telling me he found my car on fire in the middle of the desert.
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanerupper View Post
    Some people have told me that the chrome reflects sunlight, therefore the amp doesn't get as hot as others. Is this true?

beastyle is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    nah man

You need a GOOD amp (or you should check your current one a bit better)...

You should level your radio at 0 bass and 0 trebble etc. so that you always can adjust a LITTLE from your HU.

Your current amp has the SUB on it if i'm reading you correct. Every single amp has one of the following options:

- Gain level (might be indicated with ohm numbers 1 - 4 or 2 - 4)
    - Frequency (the lower you set it the deeper and heavier the bass will be)
    - Bass port (all my pg's have it, kinda the same as frequency)
    - Hertz (0 - 150 or something, the more hertz you set the heavier the bass)

If you have one of the options above on your amp (pretty sure u atleast have two) then use those to tune your bass couz these will only effect devices connected on the amp itself and not speakers connected to your HU).

If you really dont have any of the options above then (... it must be one hell of a lousy amp) go to the store and buy a remote bass controll device. I bought one two days ago from Caliber for 20 bucks and it works REAL great. The device has a hertz and gain controll wheel and is connected on your RCA cable so that it only will effect your subs and not your HU speakers..

gl

Humanity my mirror,
    Madness what I see

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon30

Yo!

Maybe I was not clear enough, what my problem really is. But the more than I try to figure out a solution, the more it seems to me that there is none.

Here is the situation:
    My sub and other 4 speakers are working just fine and all. But when I turn up the volume, my 4 mid/tweeter speakers get distorted quite a lot. I can turn the bass control down to minimum and keep the treble at 0, then the speakers can naturally play a lot louder, because they don't have to produce the basses. But in that case, the bass gets turned down at the pre-outs too, and the amp (and then the sub) doesn't get bass either and that's ******. I was thinking about active crossovers, but as far as I know, you must install that before the signal goes to the amp, which is then useless in my case, where I power other speakers (except sub) with head unit internal amp.

So I guess, the only way to have a high pass filter on mid/tweeter speakers and still get regular bass out of a sub is to buy an amp for the other 4 speakers. It looks like it can't be done, if I want to keep powering those speakers with the HU.

Any suggestions?? Thanx!

- Pioneer DEH-5500MP
    - Phase Linear 1.2kW amp

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    waht kindof speakers are you running, and waht HU?

MSN - pnenis@hotmail.com
    I woke up one morning and found a cop at my door telling me he found my car on fire in the middle of the desert.
    Some people have told me that the chrome reflects sunlight, therefore the amp doesn't get as hot as others. Is this true?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Here's my setup:

I'm running Mac Audio Mac Iron 2.13 components in the front (90RMS, titanium cone, soft dome tweeter) and Mac Audio red attack 69.3 in the back (110RMS, 6"x9"), amp is Magnat RAVE 300 (1x185RMS bridge) and the sub is Mac Audio Mac Fire 300 (12", 200RMS, aluminium cone). The head unit is Alpine CDE-7853R, but I am soon getting an Alpine 7874 or Pioneer 4400, not sure yet.

Any help?

- Pioneer DEH-5500MP
    - Phase Linear 1.2kW amp

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    thats hould help someone, not me, i was jsut getting more info for people to work with, good luck!

MSN - pnenis@hotmail.com

Ganji is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Some form of crossovers would seem like the most logical choice to me. If you're tight on cash, get 2 pairs of like 200hz bass blockers for your 4 speakers, so you can adjust the treble and bass as you please. You'll be able to turn the bass up without distortion, since low frequencies will only reach the sub.

Drive fast and swerve a lot

beastyle is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    hahahah

you call that a problem?

Just disconnect your amps/subs and leave only the speakers connected directly on the HU.

Flatten your bass and trebble and pump your HU upto the volume where they do not distort (just not)... From there connect your amps and tune them that they are at their max when you reach the volumelevel which you experienced above

GAIN level controll is your solution

(example, my second set of tweeters is not amplified and distort at a volume after 30. Amps are set that they reach max @ 29, problem sovled)

Humanity my mirror,
    Madness what I see

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Could anyone explain me more about these "bass killers", because I haven't heard of them before, please!

Dear mr. Beastyle, I wish it was that easy!!!

I've been there done that! The problem is that when I lower the bass on my HU, it gets completely eliminated on my pre-outs too. So even if I turn the gain up to the maximum, there is still no bass comming from the sub (although ofcourse there is music playing on the sub if I switch the LPF on the amp off, but only high frequencies - same as from the HU).

Ha ha ha now if you can (I would surely like to)!

These bass killers seem nice idea, so please do explain to me more about it!

Thanx

- Pioneer DEH-5500MP
    - Phase Linear 1.2kW amp

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I apologize Beastyle, I didn't see you wrote "flatten bass and treble".

That is sure working allright, but my speakers can play far much louder if I keep the treble at 0 and lower the bass to say -4 or -5. Than I can pump them for a 1/4 louder, but in this case, the sub is almost inaudible (the bass is lowered on preouts too). So I can either enjoy very loud mid and highs without the sub, or enjoy my pleasantly sounding woofer with it's all power, but have mids and highs on my speakers at only moderate level, because they start to distort. Well, I prefer loud mids and higs AND sub to the full. Problem???

You are welcome to share your ideas!

- Pioneer DEH-5500MP
    - Phase Linear 1.2kW amp

dan7532 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: HU and the SUB

Sorry to butt in, but I have a very similar question. I have two sony 5x7 two-ways in my front doors running off the head unit. I have my stock front speakers in the rear deck because it holds the same size and my stock fronts are higher quality than my stock rears. Anyway, I have FIE on in my Pioneer HU so the rear speakers only get low frequencies. I plan on getting a tempest 15" sub soon and will unplug the rear speakers as they will be pointless.

So I'll be left with two sonys in front doors running off HU and a tempest in the truck running off an amp. I want all the low frequencies running to my sub (of course) and I'd like to prevent my sonys from getting bass that the sub can play. Should I do the same things that you suggest to marcopolo?

mrray13 is offline uz some fegbags

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by marcopolo
    Here's my setup:

I'm running Mac Audio Mac Iron 2.13 components in the front (90RMS, titanium cone, soft dome tweeter) and Mac Audio red attack 69.3 in the back (110RMS, 6"x9"), amp is Magnat RAVE 300 (1x185RMS bridge) and the sub is Mac Audio Mac Fire 300 (12", 200RMS, aluminium cone). The head unit is Alpine CDE-7853R, but I am soon getting an Alpine 7874 or Pioneer 4400, not sure yet.

Any help?

when u get a new h/u..ur problem will be solved. the cde series of alpine are Entry level, they don't have much in the way of features. geta cda series alpine (the 7874 might be), the Advanced line will have non fading sub pre-outs that can be adjusted seperatley from the other pre-outs. even when u turn the bass doen, u can turn the sub control up to compensate...when u buy the new h/u ask them(the retailers) to demonstrate.

hope that helps......btw, any h/u with the above mentioned feature will work.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote Originally Posted by lilmaniac2
    Your circles look like something a HMO doctor would do to a **** job ....
    ^^^ speaking about cbfryman's jigsaw ability

owner of Thread posts 11111 & 12345

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

DBfan187 is offline Supa's mom was here!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mrray13
    when u get a new h/u..ur problem will be solved. the cde series of alpine are Entry level, they don't have much in the way of features. geta cda series alpine (the 7874 might be), the Advanced line will have non fading sub pre-outs that can be adjusted seperatley from the other pre-outs. even when u turn the bass doen, u can turn the sub control up to compensate...when u buy the new h/u ask them(the retailers) to demonstrate.

hope that helps......btw, any h/u with the above mentioned feature will work.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    This thread is over 2 years old!

Btw, R.I.P. Beastlye!

dan7532 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh, didn't notice. I replied to this thread when I saw it in the "similar threads" box at the bottom left of the page when I was viewing a different thread. Anyway, my Pioneer DEH-P545 does not have separate sub pre-outs. Pioneer's site says it has "RCA Preouts (x2 pair) (Front/Rear)"

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast