im finally satisfied with how my car sounds. piece by piece i added to my system, each making my car sound better and better. these are the order and rough times that i made each change. all made me happy with how it sounded until i started to feel like i needed more.
1) bought and installed at good guys: sony cdx-810x and two infinity reference 12" in a bandpass box powered by my ebay lanzer 1200d. i loved those subs, my very first and **** loud too lol. to be honest, the head unit isnt that bad. sounds nice, doesnt skip unless i hit deep pot holes or bumps, 7 band eq, 80/120 cross overs, 3 pre-amp outputs, and sub control is all i need for now.
2) 6 months later i sadly lost my love for those subs and started reading forums. learned alot from these forums i did; very informative. decided i would give adire a chance and picked up a 15" brahma and a 2 cube sealed box on ebay. big difference! a bit quieter, but alot better sounding.
3) 2 months later i decided sound dampening was truly important and got to talking with Ant of second skin who lead me to pick up 100sq ft of damplifier. after a layer on my license plate, 4 layers total throughout each door, and 3 layers on my trunk lid i was very pleased. definitly a worthy purchase; very very cost effective and would recommend to everyone.
4) 2 months later, decided stock speakers just werent cutting it. i knew i needed coaxials because i just wasnt ready to make any permenant visible cuts for tweets. picked up a pair of infinity 63.5i's on ebay and installed em myself after reading a bit on how to's. got caught up into the whole "front stage" audiophile thing i hear so much about lol. very simple installation and very big improvement. no bass what so ever but sounded great with my sub. actually, sounded very unimpressive without my sub, but that didnt happen.
5) a month later, decided i needed louder (isnt that how it always is?). my brahama just didnt seem to be hitting as loud as it used to and i figured i must have just gotten used to it. gnome audio came to the rescue and sent me a freshly built 3cube ported box set to the tune of 36. once again things were sounding loud and beautiful!
6) 2 months later, decided it was worth it to take the plunge into amping my front speakers. after asking around, pheonix gold came highly recommended and i picked up a 300.2 tantrum off thezeb. great amp, and truly changed what i was hearing. made everything sound loud and clear; sometimes too loud. until then i never noticed just how bright those ceramic/titanium tweets really were...
7) 1 month later, i picked myself up a pair of aurasound mr62's on ebay. very sweet sounding especially with its silky tweets. truly making great use of my amp and would recommend to anyone to atleast look into.
8) 1 month later, i needed loud again lol... i could never really set my sub out put very high because i couldnt stand all that rattle from the rear dash so i finally decided to do something about it. oh isnt sound dampening fun? while i was back there i decided to throw my 63.5i's in the back since i noticed things didnt sound so great back there when i had passengers. totally changed my views on car audio: i now am a fan of rear fill! i love the feeling of being enveloped in music, its an emersive environment of great sound (kept the rears greatly accentuated). oh, and i can get loud too!
sorry to those bothered by my car audio life story, but i just wanted to share my joy!