Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Long List Of Questions

rouskisman is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon14 Long List Of Questions

I'm really a newbie, beginner whatever you want to call it, in car audio. I was offered 2 10' Concepts for about $150 from a audio store, is it worth it? If you have a pretty good amp pushing it? If anyone can take the time to answer some of my questions it will mean alot to me thanx.

--------------------------------

Most of this was borrowed from other threads, i'm sorry if i offended you in any way.

1 BOSS audio remote level/x-over << what is this?
    - 1 Stiffing Cap << what is this?
    -1 1 Farad Streetwires cap << what is this?
    -2 Stinger T-distribution blocks << what is this?
    -Stinger 4awg wiring << what is this?
    - But not box i was planning on doing something whack with my box using open pipe resonators << what does this mean??
    -what kind of box is best for a Ranger?? what kinds of boxes are there? and what do they do??
    -900 x 4ohms at 0.03%thd << what is this??
    -4 gauge wiring, PPI capacitor << what is this?
    -db efficiency is like 98.6 db i want about 150 -160 does that 98.6 << what is this??
    -what is a terminal cap??
    -I've heard that it depends on your setup in your vehicle to make a good sound difference, if there are so many different setups what does mostly everyone want to do and not want to do.

On a amp I am really confused.....

- Mono, is this just a amp to run for just like specific speakers?
    - 2/Channel, is this just a amp to run the subs and the component speakers?
    - multi/channel, is this just a amp to power more then two sets of speakers??

What does the following mean.

spl
    db
    dbl
    rms
    hz

-----------------------------------
    If someone could really help me out with this I would really appreciate it, My s/n is rooskisman.

ramos is offline Still learning

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Re: Long List Of Questions

Originally posted by rouskisman
    I'm really a newbie, beginner whatever you want to call it, in car audio. I was offered 2 10' Concepts for about $150 from a audio store, is it worth it? If you have a pretty good amp pushing it? If anyone can take the time to answer some of my questions it will mean alot to me thanx.

never dealt with concept before so couldn't answer that one.
    --------------------------------

Most of this was borrowed from other threads, i'm sorry if i offended you in any way.

1 BOSS audio remote level/x-over << what is this?

If I'm not mistaken it's a little control box that can be dash mounted for sound adjustment from the driver seat.

- 1 Stiffing Cap << what is this?

A capacitor. Used to "stiffen" the electrical system. It provides instantaneous, extremely short, bursts of power. If once you have your system installed, you have a slight dimming of your headlights. Install a cap and it should take care of it. If you have bigger dimming problems. Such as extreme voltage drops. A cap probably won't help. It's timeto look at the alternator.

-1 1 Farad Streetwires cap << what is this?
    same thing as above. Farad is the measurement used to represent capacitance.

-2 Stinger T-distribution blocks << what is this?

A distribution block usually has an input for one larger gauge wire. And outputs for smaller gauge wire. Some have fuses, some don't.

-Stinger 4awg wiring << what is this?

4 gauge power wire.

- But not box i was planning on doing something whack with my box using open pipe resonators << what does this mean??

your guess is as good as mine

-what kind of box is best for a Ranger?? what kinds of boxes are there? and what do they do??

Depends on space avaliable, subs, and power avaliable. There are several different types. But most are based on sealed or ported, or a combination of both.

-900 x 4ohms at 0.03%thd << what is this??

Amp ratings. Means the amp puts out 900watts into a 4ohm load with 3 thousandths of a percent of total harmonic distortion. .

-4 gauge wiring, PPI capacitor << what is this?

same thing as above

-db efficiency is like 98.6 db i want about 150 -160 does that 98.6 << what is this??

another rating for subs. Different companies have ways of rating their products. Most of the time this measurement is taken at 1 meter. With the one watt of power. just to see how efficient the speaker is.

-what is a terminal cap??

Don't know. but a terminal "cup" is installed in a sub box most of the time. It has terminals on both sides. And you connect the subs internally to one side. Then your wires from the amp go to the other side.

-I've heard that it depends on your setup in your vehicle to make a good sound difference, if there are so many different setups what does mostly everyone want to do and not want to do.

I beleive everyone is after the best sound they can get out of their system. Everyone doesn't want to spend and arm an a nut doing so

On a amp I am really confused.....

- Mono, is this just a amp to run for just like specific speakers? subs
    - 2/Channel, is this just a amp to run the subs and the component speakers? Can be used for anything you feel like. be it components or subs.

- multi/channel, is this just a amp to power more then two sets of speakers?? depends on the amp. But there usually are several different setups that can be accomplished with a 4/5 channel amp.

What does the following mean.

spl sound pressure level
    db decibel
    dbl ??? Heard of IDBL which is a a competion organization
    rms root mean square
    hz hertz (spelling)
    -----------------------------------
    If someone could really help me out with this I would really appreciate it, My s/n is rooskisman.

Did I miss anything

5 % equipment
    90 % install
    5% beer

maylar is offline Electrical Weenie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Re: Re: Long List Of Questions

Originally posted by ramos

Did I miss anything
    Nope. And you deserve an Atta-Boy for it

dave
    ----------
    1999 Buick Park Ave Ultra
    Head Unit: JVC KWHDR720
    EQ: Audiocontrol EQL
    Front Stage: Hybrid Audio Technologies Imagine 5.25 mids, Morel Maximo tweets
    Sub Stage: Boston G3 10", 0.5 cu ft sealed
    Amp: PPI Phantom 900.4
    Rear Fill: Boston SE953 6X9's

beastyle is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    good explaining ramos

Humanity my mirror,
    Madness what I see

more_spl is offline only have 1, but it's 12"

Post Thanks / Like