Closed Thread

Reload Thread: More sound deadening questions

minengr is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

More sound deadening questions

Well after three years of letting my system sit in boxes I’ve decided it’s time to reinstall the thing. While I have my interior out I plan on putting in some sound deadening material and I of course have a few questions. I’ve done several searches on this site and other and I’ve found a few answers, but still need a little help. I plan on doing this on a budget so Dynamat is probably out of the question, depends on if the “killer deal” my local stereo shop guy promised is within my budget. Chances are I’ll go with Peal N Seal or something similar for part of my project. I’m putting this is a two door 4WD Blazer. Although I don’t plan on competing I like to improve the sound quality, but more importantly I want to reduce wind/ride/outside noise. My 31” mud tires produce a lot of ‘hum’ and I really like to eliminate that if possible

I’m planning on putting a couple different layers and kinds of material in my Blazer. For the outer/second/last layer I have some material similar to Dynamat’s Hoodliner lying around the shop I work at, that I can get for free. It’s about ½” thick with a lead layer in the middle, an aluminum layer on one side and an adhesive on the other. We used it as a heat shield in the equipment we build. I have about 36 sq ft of the material available.

My questions are this. Will the combination of these two deadeners produce the results I’m looking for? Since I have a limited amount of the free material available what locations would it be most effective? Is the thickness of this second/free material going to cause any problems when I reinstall my interior, or will careful trimming around bolts/mounting points cure this? Thanks for the help and sorry for such a long post.

supa_c is offline Abministrator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: More sound deading questions

sounds good, the FREE material will add alot of weight, thats the only draw back

minengr is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: More sound deadening questions

I'm really not to concerned about an increase in weight, so I guess I'll be ok.

supa_c is offline Abministrator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: More sound deadening questions

should be fine

audioholic is offline Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Re: More sound deading questions

Quote Originally Posted by supa_c
    sounds good, the FREE material will add alot of weight, thats the only draw back
    Most sound deadeners actually want to mass load the object it adhere's to, that's how it lowers the resonant vibrational frequency of the sheet metal panel.

The free stuff having a lead layer sounds like its a pretty good quality deadener. You say its made like hoodliner, maybe you should consider putting it under the hood. Hoodliner would use a material like lead, because its also heat resistant. But for inside the truck, I think you'll find an open celled foam (foam with alot of air in it) will do even better. Layering deadener, even cheap deadener, with a layer of foam between them will yield very good results. If you dont want to go that far, use the lead lined stuff you have now on your doors and wheelwells first, as they are where most road noise come from.

Closed Thread