Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1273 Post(s)

Re: Adire Audio is back!

Quote Originally Posted by LosIsATool View Post
    Do they still have distortion when they get to far outside of the fs?
    Grossly oversimplified, Fs can be of some concern if it's somewhat high in combination with a high Q (as the result of low moving mass and low BL product) and you're trying too play low. That usually doesn't sound very good because that particular mass/compliance relationship doesn't naturally want to operate lower than Fs, while the low force motor is probably the reason for the high Q and as such is not up to task to force or control the operation below Fs. You will get tall odd-order harmonics and run into thermal issues in that case if you really try to push them. Now a somewhat high Fs in conjunction with a low to medium Q (as the result of low moving mass and a high BL product) will be okay because the motor will be able to force the operation below Fs assuming the spiders are not too stiff. Now a somewhat high Fs in combination with low to medium Q (as the result of high moving mass with stiff spiders and a high BL product) is still okay for operation below Fs but it will sound different than the other driver and thermal issues are possible. I will stop there since a lot of this is subjective, application dependent, and way off topic.

Regarding the W7, I'd be more concerned with the back EMF from the current being dumped into the coil, dynamically changing the magnetic center and effectively moving the apparent physical location of the top plate, and therefore the flux pattern that the coil relies on for a static magnetic position to start from. The importance of the relationship between a magnetic coil and stabilized flux field cannot be overstated, doesn't matter how high in frequency you intend to use the driver.

Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    Saying "clipping doesn't kill speakers" is a half-truth at best. Technically no, clipping itself does not hurt the speaker. But in clipping your amp, you can easily create a situation that WILL kill the speaker. Was the squared waveform the DIRECT cause of the failure? No. In the end, the answer is, always has been, and can only be... heat kills speakers. BUT, clipping increases heat generation, sometimes by a drastic amount. So to start a thread simply to state that clipping does not hurt speakers is, again, a half-truth at best.

hispls is online now CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4236 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ciaonzo View Post
    To your point, I would say yes. They do. Will everyone notice the benefits? No. So I think we can safely chalk that up as a win for you. In the XBL motors you can add flux stabilizing rings that will not eat into motor force product because you don't need to make the gap any wider to do that. But even if you add a sleeve, it doesn't need to be so terribly thick that it makes or breaks the overall Qts because of a wider gap. Just something to help negate the inherent inductance of the coil, even if just a little.

Which brings me to answering, or rather venturing a guess, the other question as to why they didn't/don't use the parts you and I have mentioned. I believe they were ruled as cost prohibitive simply to protect the bottom line for the business vision and for the reason I already conceded to above; the larger demographic simply wouldn't notice the marginal increase in subjective performance. I can respect and appreciate that, but can't help wanting a more refined product from Adire since at the heart of everything is one of the greatest linear BL motors ever conceived. By all rights, scaled up and refined it should be outstripping the LMS platform in every single category (and that's saying a lot coming from me). It could, but it doesn't.

I hope you're right, I hope Dan Wiggins did have a hand in getting things going once again. But I also hope there is someone on that ship that will venture into new territory with that motor. Take a risk. Space the gaps further apart, make them a bit taller for more B. Stretch the coil a bit to accommodate that design, make a new monster. But FFS, use parts that are up to that task. And stop wasting time with the Shiva and Tempest designs as long as they are not XBL. That's pointless unless it's simply for nostalgia.
    I've seen the topic of inductance and shorting rings beat to death with no clear answer. Did the old Adire use them? They certainly existed then, why did Wiggins opt to use them or not? Certainly I'd like to see some more innovation with the platform but that's what's going to cost. R&D and prototyping will be the big cost.

I expect the inclusion of lower end products is the hope that they'll sell a lot more inexpensive products. I'll wager Sundown sells SA series woofers at 100:1 ratio to Z's and 1000:1 to Team drivers. Making a good sounding entry level driver is a good move and should be your bread and butter, but I think they missed the mark with the price point there and should probably have considered outsourcing such a line to China if they want to compete in that arena.

3. Likes ciaonzo liked this post
    macsdad is offline boom-boom

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    838 Post(s)

Impressive conversations you two eggheads are having here. I do miss my tc tc2000 12's, very clean and somewhat loud, not that I was trying for loud. My current 12 does pretty good, again not looking for loud, but it is in a tiny box, .55cuft after displacement. I was wanting back what the tc's gave me, and the si hst12mkll is satisfying.

2013 Cadillac SRX Performance package
    Cadillac CUE Entertainment System
    10 speaker Bose premium
    Incriminator Audio IA20.1
    Stereo Integrity HST12MKII

Bought from; mylows10 x5, double07 x6, ssteele x1, boxxcd x1, vecticus x1, 72impala x1, treesive x1, jaeguerra909 x1, pinoy2o9 x1, michaellane x1, trumpet x1, ricoshay x1, boomsday x1, mitchell0715 x1, Jeffdachef x1. Sold to; mrfoca x1, Treo 15 x2, Trades; AnthonyO x1, Shauncox26 x1, loudenuff x1

5. Likes ciaonzo, Slo_Ride liked this post
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4