+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Reload Thread: Need input.

  1. #1
    shrapnel's Avatar
    shrapnel is offline Junior Member



    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ft. Smith, AR
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Icon32 Need input.

    Hey everyone,

    It's been a bit since I've actually posted....

    I'm looking at doing an upgrade to my current vehicle and want some input on this. Looking for improvements that won't bend the budget. Power Amp just might be the exception.

    Right now I'm looking at the following for a '06 Solstice. Original HU gone before I got it, but apparently the rest of the Monsoon system is present. No On-Star. Sadly no Satellite.

    Doors/Pillars: Rockford Fosgate P165-SI
    Quarter Panels: Polk Audio DB402

    yeah, I know there may be some small mods needed to install them

    I haven't fully decided if I want to modify the original 8" molded sub box or not.
    If not:
    Subs Option 1: Rockford Fosgate P3DS4-8 (or DS2, depending)
    Subs Option 2: Kicker CompRT 43CWRT82
    Subs option 3: Pioneer TS-SW2002D2

    If I do decide to modify:
    Subs Option 1: Rockford Fosgate P3DS4-10 (or DS2, depending)
    Subs Option 2: Kicker CompRT 43CWRT102
    Subs Option 3: Pioneer TS-SW2502S4

    I'm leaning towards the Rockfords TBH.

    Power Amp.. now this is where I have my most concerns as I want good quality with enough power to keep me satisfied with QL. Bass can be a little heavy, but not vibrate every nut and bolt loose. I'm trying to keep around 60A or less (8Ga) as to minimize impact on my stock 125A alternator.
    What I've come down to is:
    Soundstream PN5.640D Picasso Nano - 60x4, 200x1 @4 or 80x4, 350x1 @2 (fused @ 1x40A)

    I've also looked at this one, which hits the absolute max I want to spend (and current draw)...
    Alpine MRV-V500 - 40x4, 150x1 @ 4 or 69x4, 250x1 @2, CEA-2006 (fused @ 30Ax2)


    Edit - dropped the MB Quart Subs from consideration.
    Last edited by shrapnel; 02-12-2018 at 12:45 AM.







  2. #2
    shrapnel's Avatar
    shrapnel is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ft. Smith, AR
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Need input.

    bump - anyone going to do more than just read this thread?




  3. #3
    Jeffro83's Avatar
    Jeffro83 is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    385
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    172 Post(s)

    Re: Need input.

    Not sure if the Soundstream amp will make the power it claims I don't have any experience with them but have always thought Alpine amps to be fairly efficient and if it claim 60 amp fuse rating for that power not sure how Soundstream could **** near double it with almost half the fusing and out of those subs I would probably go with the Rockford although I must say I'm not a huge fan of any but that could be just because I'm a straight base head and there are some monsters 8 in Subs out there




  4. #4
    Jeffro83's Avatar
    Jeffro83 is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    385
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    172 Post(s)

    Re: Need input.

    Actually looking back at the post Soundstream is not quite claiming double the power off of half the fusing but close enough for my point to still be valid




  5. #5
    shrapnel's Avatar
    shrapnel is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ft. Smith, AR
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Need input.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffro83 View Post
    Not sure if the Soundstream amp will make the power it claims I don't have any experience with them but have always thought Alpine amps to be fairly efficient and if it claim 60 amp fuse rating for that power not sure how Soundstream could **** near double it with almost half the fusing and out of those subs I would probably go with the Rockford although I must say I'm not a huge fan of any but that could be just because I'm a straight base head and there are some monsters 8 in Subs out there
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffro83 View Post
    Actually looking back at the post Soundstream is not quite claiming double the power off of half the fusing but close enough for my point to still be valid
    That's the kind of thing I'm looking to find out here. I'd rather not invest in junk. (The only dyno I've seen on YT for the picasso nano was for the pn4.520D 4ch from a place that sold them, and unfortunately it was just the dyno shown so I or any other viewer can't tell 100% it was the claimed amp.)

    I'm now thinking, perhaps:

    Clarion XC2510 -> 50 x 4, 200x1 @ 4; 75 x 4, 300x1 @ 2; 150x2 bridged @ 4. It uses 2 - 40A fuses ( 1 - 40A fuse per power line.) Crutchfield claims an 8Ga power line is the recommended size, although the largest included fuse I've seen on an 8ga line is 60A... that is unless there are known issues. (Amazon has a much nicer price than Crutchfield.)




  6. #6
    BOOMINGRANDPA's Avatar
    BOOMINGRANDPA is online now CHEAP A/F



    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    6,205
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    18
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2497 Post(s)

    Re: Need input.

    wouldn't do clarion amp, or kicker sub.. heres a 5 chan amp PN900.5 - Precision Power 5-Channel Class D Phantom Series Amplifier



    KENWOOD X301 HU, PRECISION POWER Phantom 1000 (@2ohm), pioneer 3003 12 1.63cfad ported, soundqubed 6.5" coax/doors, hp xover (hu), AGM starting batt...
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomin_tahoe View Post
    2 ohms rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Popwarhomie View Post
    Shit Ill sleep with you if you do that for me..

  7. #7
    shrapnel's Avatar
    shrapnel is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ft. Smith, AR
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Need input.

    Quote Originally Posted by BOOMINGRANDPA View Post
    wouldn't do clarion amp, or kicker sub.. heres a 5 chan amp PN900.5 - Precision Power 5-Channel Class D Phantom Series Amplifier
    Thanks for the input.

    I get something funny when I look at the description on Amazon for that amp:
    • If the amplifier’s output, that is connected to the woofer, provides DC current, instead of an AC music signal, HEAT is produced - instead of music. This heat burns the voice coil and destroys the amplifier.

    I'm not sure what they were thinking there, as that holds true for just about any amp on the market. I'll definitely look at this amp closer as it can be had for decent coin though.

    (I've heard rumours of the Rockford Fosgate R600.5 having heat issues, unfortunately, as that knocked that one out of consideration.)

    Out of curiosity, what issues do the clarion amps have?




  8. #8
    BOOMINGRANDPA's Avatar
    BOOMINGRANDPA is online now CHEAP A/F



    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    6,205
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    18
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2497 Post(s)

    Re: Need input.

    Quote Originally Posted by shrapnel View Post
    Thanks for the input.

    I get something funny when I look at the description on Amazon for that amp:
    • If the amplifier’s output, that is connected to the woofer, provides DC current, instead of an AC music signal, HEAT is produced - instead of music. This heat burns the voice coil and destroys the amplifier.

    I'm not sure what they were thinking there, as that holds true for just about any amp on the market. I'll definitely look at this amp closer as it can be had for decent coin though.

    (I've heard rumours of the Rockford Fosgate R600.5 having heat issues, unfortunately, as that knocked that one out of consideration.)

    Out of curiosity, what issues do the clarion amps have?
    i've saw a few, was many yrs ago they just weren't strong at all.. all i can tell u is i'd say at least 10 peeps here have a pahntom amp of some kind (read my sig) guys with huge systems (4-10's in doors etc) have 2-4 2 channel versions or a 4 channel or mono amp and very well liked guy here wanted to buy mine other day cause they stopped making mono and they going up.. i hadn't seen that "info b4 in item description" looks like it's just telling u not to play amp with car off., it says anything below12.6v i think just saying don't under power the amp or it can send clipped signal like every amp on earth can..



    KENWOOD X301 HU, PRECISION POWER Phantom 1000 (@2ohm), pioneer 3003 12 1.63cfad ported, soundqubed 6.5" coax/doors, hp xover (hu), AGM starting batt...
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomin_tahoe View Post
    2 ohms rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Popwarhomie View Post
    Shit Ill sleep with you if you do that for me..

  9. #9
    BOOMINGRANDPA's Avatar
    BOOMINGRANDPA is online now CHEAP A/F



    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    6,205
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    18
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2497 Post(s)

    Re: Need input.




    KENWOOD X301 HU, PRECISION POWER Phantom 1000 (@2ohm), pioneer 3003 12 1.63cfad ported, soundqubed 6.5" coax/doors, hp xover (hu), AGM starting batt...
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomin_tahoe View Post
    2 ohms rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Popwarhomie View Post
    Shit Ill sleep with you if you do that for me..

  10. #10
    THATpurpleKUSH's Avatar
    THATpurpleKUSH is online now Smoke weed everyday



    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Banging gears and passing queeers
    Posts
    5,538
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2189 Post(s)

    Re: Need input.

    Rockford amps don't have heat issues, they are designed and built very well. We have a prime series 5 channel in our hot rod.

    Don't waste your money on skar, its all junk.




  11. #11
    Beentown's Avatar
    Beentown is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Central, OH
    Posts
    352
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    183 Post(s)

    Re: Need input.

    I run multiple work trucks and all but one have 5 channel amps in them. The Soundstream does fine but I changed it out of one, just not enough power on the sub channel for my liking. I really like the NVX 5 channels and they do more than rated power and are clean sounding.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk




  12. #12
    shrapnel's Avatar
    shrapnel is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ft. Smith, AR
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Need input.

    I forget where I seen that post on the RF "heat issue"... which may have just been more of a bad install location when I think of it. I think I seen some dynos of a SKar amp meeting power (I think, I'd have to go review on YT)... but I know also that just because it can meet power, doesn't mean it will last.

    That Precision Power P900.5 is looking good to me. I'll probably just wire the sub amp in 4 Ohm though... It's going in a little car and I'm more interested in SQ than SPL anyway. (Not that I don't like good strong bass, I do, but I want to hear the rest of it and have it sound good.)




  13. #13
    Boomin_tahoe's Avatar
    Boomin_tahoe is offline Hurtin' feelings errrday.



    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    14,280
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6050 Post(s)

    Re: Need input.

    Quote Originally Posted by Beentown View Post
    I run multiple work trucks and all but one have 5 channel amps in them. The Soundstream does fine but I changed it out of one, just not enough power on the sub channel for my liking. I really like the NVX 5 channels and they do more than rated power and are clean sounding.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    How much power were you looking for your sub from a 5 ch amp? I have a 5 ch amp in my possession and will be powering a single 8 soon, lol....it'll crank out 850+ watts @ 1 ohm.



    97 4 dr. Tahoe
    Interstate battery
    Alpine 9835
    Polk Audio MM6501 comps
    Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500D & 4.500 amps
    2 Sundown Audio X 15's Tuned @ 30Hz.
    Knukonceptz/Royal Excelene wiring

  14. #14
    Beentown's Avatar
    Beentown is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Central, OH
    Posts
    352
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    183 Post(s)

    Re: Need input.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boomin_tahoe View Post
    How much power were you looking for your sub from a 5 ch amp? I have a 5 ch amp in my possession and will be powering a single 8 soon, lol....it'll crank out 850+ watts @ 1 ohm.
    Nice, which one?

    I switched it to an NVX and happy with it, for now. That is the truck I drive the most (better mileage). Will probably go with a 4 channel and separate mono amp for subs later.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk




  15. #15
    Boomin_tahoe's Avatar
    Boomin_tahoe is offline Hurtin' feelings errrday.



    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    14,280
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6050 Post(s)

    Re: Need input.

    Quote Originally Posted by Beentown View Post
    Nice, which one?

    I switched it to an NVX and happy with it, for now. That is the truck I drive the most (better mileage). Will probably go with a 4 channel and separate mono amp for subs later.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    ED Nine.5



    97 4 dr. Tahoe
    Interstate battery
    Alpine 9835
    Polk Audio MM6501 comps
    Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500D & 4.500 amps
    2 Sundown Audio X 15's Tuned @ 30Hz.
    Knukonceptz/Royal Excelene wiring

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum