+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 35

Reload Thread: Need suggestions on possible system

  1. #1
    conquistador's Avatar
    conquistador is offline Junior Member



    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Need suggestions on possible system

    Hello all

    Went to my local shop and they recommended all JL Audio for my build. He suggested C5 coaxials in all doors, two amps, one TW3 and JL FIX. I want to be able to have time alignment and flat response eq done. Do i need the JL TWK as well?

    What's your take on using coaxs in the front as opposed to components? Would components give you that much of a better sound stage? If we use components, do they have to be bi amped? Do I have to use a six channel amp to power twitters and woofers in the front, and the coaxs in the back? Then a separate amp for subwoofer.

    Or can a 4 channel amp be used for the components and coaxs? Not sure if time alignment can be done properly that way.

    Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

    -thanks







  2. #2
    Sonic.'s Avatar
    Sonic. is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    570
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    122 Post(s)

    Re: Need suggestions on possible system

    Year and model of your car?
    What is your goal?
    What is your budget?

    Can you do the install or have to use a shop?




  3. Thanks conquistador thanked for this post
  4. #3
    aeroportspwn's Avatar
    aeroportspwn is offline mmmm aeroports



    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    546
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    68 Post(s)

    Re: Need suggestions on possible system

    I am assuming you are doing oem integration using the stock head unit? What is the total price they are charging you for all of the above parts? If you don't want to do the research and find your own parts and take them to the audio shop then I can see if you want to get everything through them. You can probably save some money if you buy the audio equipment yourself and or look into other brands. I am sure it will sound good, but are there other options yes. Some shops don't like it if you don't get the equipment through them, but its something I would look into before pulling the trigger.



    refs on here: bought from PioneerSPL1990, amartin_72, fasfocus00, Kowboy | Sold to evildave101, Louisiana_CRX, KAC1023, Zachfeen, ds0110 | refs on caco: 72impala, super_duper, KAC1023, tandrel | refs on ebay: my username is chevy-guy87


  5. Thanks conquistador thanked for this post
  6. #4
    conquistador's Avatar
    conquistador is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Re: Need suggestions on possible system

    Good point thanks




  7. #5
    conquistador's Avatar
    conquistador is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Re: Need suggestions on possible system

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic. View Post
    Year and model of your car?
    What is your goal?
    What is your budget?

    Can you do the install or have to use a shop?
    2012 MDX
    Sound quality. Good sound stage.
    Around $3k
    I’d rather not do install myself.




  8. #6
    conquistador's Avatar
    conquistador is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Re: Need suggestions on possible system

    Quote Originally Posted by aeroportspwn View Post
    I am assuming you are doing oem integration using the stock head unit? What is the total price they are charging you for all of the above parts? If you don't want to do the research and find your own parts and take them to the audio shop then I can see if you want to get everything through them. You can probably save some money if you buy the audio equipment yourself and or look into other brands. I am sure it will sound good, but are there other options yes. Some shops don't like it if you don't get the equipment through them, but its something I would look into before pulling the trigger.
    Yes oem integration. I think he said $2700 plus installation. I agree it will be less expensive if I buy the parts on my own. He did say that because they’re an authorized jl dealer, if they use jl cable kits the warranty would be three years. Do you think this out weighs the benefit of buying the parts on my own?




  9. #7
    conquistador's Avatar
    conquistador is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Re: Need suggestions on possible system

    Do you guys think C5 coaxs for the rear door is overkill? Would a pair of C1's be sufficient? Would that affect the sound stage?




  10. #8
    bandit_kb's Avatar
    bandit_kb is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    austin,tx
    Posts
    263
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    110 Post(s)

    Re: Need suggestions on possible system

    If you are going to upgrade the rears, don’t spend much. The c1 should be sufficient.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk




  11. Thanks conquistador thanked for this post
    Likes conquistador liked this post
  12. #9
    hispls's Avatar
    hispls is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    Posts
    10,270
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    15
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4241 Post(s)

    Re: Need suggestions on possible system

    Quote Originally Posted by conquistador View Post
    if they use jl cable kits the warranty would be three years. Do you think this out weighs the benefit of buying the parts on my own?
    Yes. JL makes fine quality equipment much of which is made in the USA. Be aware you're paying for JL's name, American manufacturing, plus a markup for the store. That said you're buying good quality, re-sale value, and supporting a business that will (or should) take care of you.

    If you buy whatever else on Amazon and bring it to them, even if they will install (many shops won't) what happens if something fails? Will the remove and replace it? If they don't know the brand or didn't sell it, possibly not.... I wouldn't.

    Don't let the DIY purists scare you away or tell you about "savings". There is value in going to a professional shop and buying from brick and mortar store... assuming it's a good and reputable shop.

    I would suggest you forget about the back doors and just go for some higher end components up front and if you want time alignment and EQ flexibility best IMO is to buy a solid head unit with that built in. I can't vouch for outboard processing since I haven't personally seen any in person in ages (everyone who wants snobophile sound uses Pioneer DEX-P90RS or similar these days).

    I don't know where this guy is in NY but you may reach out to him as well. This work looks spectacular.:
    2006 Lexus RX330 Build Log. First Build At The New Location!




  13. Thanks conquistador thanked for this post
    Likes conquistador liked this post
  14. #10
    conquistador's Avatar
    conquistador is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Re: Need suggestions on possible system

    Quote Originally Posted by hispls View Post
    Yes. JL makes fine quality equipment much of which is made in the USA. Be aware you're paying for JL's name, American manufacturing, plus a markup for the store. That said you're buying good quality, re-sale value, and supporting a business that will (or should) take care of you.

    If you buy whatever else on Amazon and bring it to them, even if they will install (many shops won't) what happens if something fails? Will the remove and replace it? If they don't know the brand or didn't sell it, possibly not.... I wouldn't.

    Don't let the DIY purists scare you away or tell you about "savings". There is value in going to a professional shop and buying from brick and mortar store... assuming it's a good and reputable shop.

    I would suggest you forget about the back doors and just go for some higher end components up front and if you want time alignment and EQ flexibility best IMO is to buy a solid head unit with that built in. I can't vouch for outboard processing since I haven't personally seen any in person in ages (everyone who wants snobophile sound uses Pioneer DEX-P90RS or similar these days).

    I don't know where this guy is in NY but you may reach out to him as well. This work looks spectacular.:
    2006 Lexus RX330 Build Log. First Build At The New Location!
    excellent, thanks. I did have an 80-PRS in my previous car but in my current car (2012 MDX) custom work would be required (if it's even possible) to fit an aftermarket receiver.

    So, you're saying forget about the back doors completely, no speakers and/or amplified signal?




  15. #11
    mylows10's Avatar
    mylows10 is offline B2,singer,ampere rep



    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    monterey , ca
    Age
    55
    Posts
    22,448
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    9
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6020 Post(s)

    Re: Need suggestions on possible system

    Stock speakers are fine for the back doors. Off deck power. Rear is just for fill any way the 99 prs is a great deck. But with a $1000 tag on it critchfield did have them Also better components in the front doors and don’t forget the deadener If replacing the hu isn’t an option the yes a dsp is the way to go




    pioneer avhx 4800 dvd, ampere tfhe 9.0 and 150.4 with arc audio xxd 4080
    4 d3100 and 3 deka 8a31 and d975 ,270 dc power and 320 amp singer alt
    B2 ref mids,Cdt es6 mids cdt es 010 tweets x2 ,es 03 Mids x 2 mx1000 , sky high ,eb flex, and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 crossfire xsv2 18s in a 4th order no wall box
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com

  16. Thanks conquistador thanked for this post
    Likes conquistador liked this post
  17. #12
    BOOMINGRANDPA's Avatar
    BOOMINGRANDPA is online now CHEAP A/F



    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    6,751
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2694 Post(s)

    Re: Need suggestions on possible system

    Quote Originally Posted by conquistador View Post
    Do you guys think C5 coaxs for the rear door is overkill? Would a pair of C1's be sufficient? Would that affect the sound stage?
    most of us don't use rear speakers but if u do use cheap ones there better in front maybe even with more power to fronts.. yeah i bet dealer does what u to pay 43k for jl stuff when u can get as good or better for $1500.. jl over priced man it's like a woman loving $5,000 prada purse $11 one at walmart actually holds more lol.. we can show u tons of options besides jl and u can still get it installed at a shop..



    KENWOOD X301 HU, PRECISION POWER Phantom 1000, FU 750 12, 2.1cfad ported, soundqubed 6.5" coax/doors, hp & lp xover on hu, AGM starting batt...
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomin_tahoe View Post
    2 ohms rule

  18. Thanks conquistador thanked for this post
    Likes conquistador liked this post
    Dislikes THATpurpleKUSH disliked this post
  19. #13
    THATpurpleKUSH's Avatar
    THATpurpleKUSH is offline Smoke weed everyday



    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Banging gears and passing queeers
    Posts
    5,780
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2324 Post(s)

    Re: Need suggestions on possible system

    Quote Originally Posted by BOOMINGRANDPA View Post
    most of us don't use rear speakers but if u do use cheap ones there better in front maybe even with more power to fronts.. yeah i bet dealer does what u to pay 43k for jl stuff when u can get as good or better for $1500.. jl over priced man it's like a woman loving $5,000 prada purse $11 one at walmart actually holds more lol.. we can show u tons of options besides jl and u can still get it installed at a shop..
    All wrong, go back to staring at amps and guessing the 2 ohm rating.




  20. Likes Boomin_tahoe liked this post
  21. #14
    Jeffdachef's Avatar
    Jeffdachef is offline Gunz That Turn on Nunz



    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    South Coast Metro, CA
    Posts
    16,192
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7917 Post(s)

    Re: Need suggestions on possible system

    Quote Originally Posted by conquistador View Post
    Do you guys think C5 coaxs for the rear door is overkill? Would a pair of C1's be sufficient? Would that affect the sound stage?
    dont spend anything on the rear. blow everything on the front stage leave the rear stock speakers on head unit power they do nothing other than kill your sound stage. I hope that shop plans on sealing off the door gaps turning the door into a proper enclosure with sheet metal along with deadening and making a proper baffle. It would be a complete waste of time if they skipped that crucial install part.



    09 Sienna Subs : Four Team Ascendant 18s......Sub amp: Two Taramps 15k
    Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS................................Mids/Highs amp: CT 500.2, ppi 600.2, ppi 900.4 bridged
    Front stage: Two PWX 10s per door midbass only....... PRV 6MR500 midrange....... Massive CT 2 german tweeters.
    320 amp Singer alt....... 1 group 34 under the hood 6 group31 agms in the back 560 amp hours total.

  22. Likes conquistador liked this post
  23. #15
    BOOMINGRANDPA's Avatar
    BOOMINGRANDPA is online now CHEAP A/F



    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    6,751
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2694 Post(s)

    Re: Need suggestions on possible system

    Quote Originally Posted by THATpurpleKUSH View Post
    All wrong, go back to staring at amps and guessing the 2 ohm rating.
    how is it all wrong? many of us don't use rear speakers.. and jl is very over priced (but i meant to say $3k worth of jl stuff $ came up as a 4) and many peeps run more power to fronts and rears off hu as someone else said too did u harass them?



    KENWOOD X301 HU, PRECISION POWER Phantom 1000, FU 750 12, 2.1cfad ported, soundqubed 6.5" coax/doors, hp & lp xover on hu, AGM starting batt...
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomin_tahoe View Post
    2 ohms rule

  24. Thanks conquistador thanked for this post
    Likes conquistador liked this post
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. I need suggestions on the system Im thinking of doing...
    By Speakeasy in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-18-2013, 08:30 PM
  2. Need suggestions on electrical system fixes and upgrades
    By deepdespair in forum Wiring, Electrical and Installation Help
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 02-27-2009, 09:01 PM
  3. Need suggestions on first system!
    By wa77ss in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-21-2008, 11:28 AM
  4. Need comments on possible new system
    By justchillin in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-28-2002, 02:43 AM
  5. Just got my insurance check...need suggestions on a new system
    By Unregistered in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-14-2002, 08:51 PM

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum