+ Reply to Thread

Reload Thread: Sound treating doors (what fasteners work best?) and who has additional tips and tric

HardcoreBob is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)

Sound treating doors (what fasteners work best?) and who has additional tips and tric

So Iíve seen the videos with the guys using the threaded inserts, but like most people I donít have that tool laying around...

What are some good alternatives to this method to fasten materials to your doors?

Although itís probably not recommended, Iím going to use some treated and sealed MDF, so Iím particularly interested in the best ways to fasten that material to my door...

Any additional tips, tricks and tactics to sound deadening would be greatly appreciated... I see no reason to not sit back and patiently sound treating the **** out of your vehicle if the materials arenít over priced.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Falco78 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Re: Sound treating doors (what fasteners work best?) and who has additional tips and

I'd be a bit scared of MDF just due to the fact of it holding water if you are talking about a big spot to cover holes in the door. There I'd go with plexiglass as far as mounting that's a damned good question

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk

youdoofus is offline Well, hello Mr.Fancypants

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    756 Post(s)

Re: Sound treating doors (what fasteners work best?) and who has additional tips and

Quote Originally Posted by Falco78 View Post
    I'd be a bit scared of MDF just due to the fact of it holding water if you are talking about a big spot to cover holes in the door. There I'd go with plexiglass as far as mounting that's a damned good question

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk
    people use mdf for that all the time. Birch would probably be better for the water issue tho

2002 Honda Accord sedan V6 (automatic slushbox)
    2 Rockford p3 12s (dual 2 ohm)
    Pioneer AVH-X4500bt (takes about a year to start playing music on the USB input)
    PPI PC275 running 1 sub atm, waiting to put the SQ 2200.1 back in and add the PhoenixGold Elite.4 once my electrical is up to snuff
    Stock front and rears (theyre actually squirrels listening to headphones that ive trained to sing what theyre hearing)

I just added 5 SoundQubed stickers, and despite having no equipment upgrades, it added 76 DB!!!

ChaseinBass is online now CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    860 Post(s)

Sound treating doors (what fasteners work best?) and who has additional tips and tric

Ya mdf is a sponge for water and plywood may be a better option and coating with fiberglass resin. As far as fasteners I use nutsert rivits cheap and very effective this is what I have
    https://www.ebay.com/i/331920528841?...D1384891202486

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pioneer Prs80, Taramps 15000 HD,two 18 team FI ,PPI900.4, Massive Audio CT2 tweeters and 2 pr Anarchy mids, 3 group31 juicebox batterys , lots of 0 gauge and NRG aluminum hardware, Triple alts, 4 Banks of maxwell ultra caps.

winkychevelle is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    759 Post(s)

I just used some short self tapping screws, aluminum flashing and a good bit of deadener. so far so good. could use more deadener but that's a task for another day

2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel
    2013 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 4x4
    need sub ideas 1.1 cubes tuned to 36hz 10s please

audiobaun is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2080 Post(s)

I used 3/8 ABS with 5/16" -1/2" self tapping screws and sealed around that with silicone, and used two layers of 80 mill deadner rolled on with a heat gun to make sure she stays STUCK to the door, after cleaning with alcohol and placed as much on the inside panel as well. Mark and pre-drill with a countersink bit works well also.

2)American Bass VFL Mini Hybrid [email protected] Ea 4)American Bass XFL DVC 4ohm [email protected] Ft [email protected] CDT 6,5 HD6 Briax.,CDT CL60,CDT 25 tweets,Kicker KS25 tweets Autotek Mean Machine [email protected],Autotek BTX [email protected] AlterStarts Alt 255A/Dallas,Tx,2)Orileys Super Start AGM batts(1more coming)Cadence CCA 0ga on Big 6,AudioTechnix 0ga CCA Kicker Kq9 Eq,Eclipse CD3000(lookingfor upgrade)StingerPro Distro,3)XS Scorpian 8in Scroll Fans 1998 3dr Xcab Chevy(under construction,but operational)

HardcoreBob is offline Senior VIP Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)

Thanks for the replies... I donít have the ďlikeĒ or ďthank youĒ button on the app I use, but I really appreciate all the replies to questions I ask... I know many of them are ďelementaryĒ, but itís fun to be over detailed and meticulous about this stuff... itís fun to talk about and do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread