Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

Icon6 Budget Build advice for 2005 Toyota Corolla

Sup everyone

I have been without bass for some time... I came upon some hard times and had to sell my much-loved DEH-80PRs, Sundown X12, focal mids/highs, focal amp & JL Amp...

However I'm looking to get back into the game finally, but I'm on a much stricter budget than before. I hate budget stuff... it seems so hit or miss these days.

I really love my car, and want to take good care of it. I'm used to buying cheap beater cars for $1000-$2000 bucks and abusing the **** out of them. I don't want to put any strain on my new cars electrical system, but it only has an 80Amp stock alt. I don't have money for a $270 high output alt, $300 batteries, $100 worth of 1/0 gauge wire, and THEN sound equipment. My budget is around $500 and I'm shooting for max SPL.

What I've been considering so far, after much research is this:
    • Rockford Fosgate P1-2X12 500 Watts Dual Rms Subwoofer Enclosure
    • Rockford Fosgate R500X1D Prime 1-Channel Class D Amplifier
    • Pioneer FXT-X7269BT Package: CD Receiver Double Din, Pair 6.5" 2-Way & Pair 6"x9" 3-Way Speakers

They say that a car generally will use 40 to 60% of the amperage that the stock alt puts out. The middle range would say I have about 500W to work with... Not a whole lot. So getting the most SPL out of that is going to be tricky. Any advice is much appreciated.
    Last edited by jdubu; 1 Week Ago at 08:53 PM.

jdubu is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

Re: Budget Build advice for 2005 Toyota Corolla

This scar audio package looks tempting... It's a bit over my 500W mark, and I'm worried that the amp might **** too much power, but eh.

Skar Audio Complete 15" Ported 600W Bass Package.

shredder1 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    718 Post(s)

Unless you are planning to play tones, music is dynamic and your battery should handle the draw due to it's reserves... I wouldn't worry too much... at the worst you'll need to upgrade you battery... do the Big 3 and run sufficient gauge power wire and I think you'll be ok... I put a similar setup in my son's Focus and his electrical did fine... he is a college student and bought the base model so I'm assuming that the alt is not very big... factory battery as well.. same RP800.1 at 1 ohm and a small 2 ch for the highs... no dimming is apparent and it stays above 12V... that amp is not THAT big.

The Budget Beater Blazer Build... Lookin' for those Basshead Problems!

4. Thanks jdubu thanked for this post
    Likes jdubu liked this post
    k5james is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)

What are you asking man? If it's opinions on your choices I'm not a fan of using coaxes as your main speakers unless you have space constraints. Buying separate speakers will usually get you better bang for your buck.

My go to budget setup right now is...

Pioneer MVH-X580BS - $90 (who needs CDs)
    knock off Alpine SPX Pro tweets on ebay - $40
    SB17NRX 6.5 mids - $100

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab 4x4
    HU: CD7200MKII
    Front Stage: SI TM25/ID X-69
    Front Stage Amp: PG Ti21000.4
    Sub Stage: Sundown SD-3 12 x2 (soon to be 3 SA-8v3s in a CSCStang TLine)
    Sub Stage Amp: PG Ti22000.1

6. Thanks jdubu thanked for this post
    Jeffdachef is online now Gunz That Turn on Nunz

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6852 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jdubu View Post
    This scar audio package looks tempting... It's a bit over my 500W mark, and I'm worried that the amp might **** too much power, but eh.

there is no "too much power" just because you have 800 doesnt mean you have to use all of it. Besides, after box rise, you'll be seeing closer to 300-400 watts rising to 2-3 ohms when wired to 1 ohm.

That pioneer package is garbage, your stock speakers will sound better. List a full budget and we'll let you know whats best. Because current choices are horrible except the skar.

BTW i had a 2003 corolla. You can easily put a true 1000 watt monoblock(mines was a 1600 hifonics brutus at the time) and a 100x4 4 channel with just a big 3 upgrade and under the hood agm.

09 Sienna Subs : Four Team Ascendant 18s......Sub amp: Two Taramps 15k
    Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS................................Mids/Highs amp: CT 500.2, ppi 600.2, ppi 900.4 bridged
    Front stage: Two PWX 10s per door midbass only....... PRV 6MR500 midrange....... Massive CT 2 german tweeters.
    320 amp Singer alt....... 1 group 34 under the hood 6 group31 agms in the back 560 amp hours total.

8. Thanks jdubu thanked for this post
    Likes jdubu liked this post
    BOOMINGRANDPA is offline NOT TO OLD TO BASS

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1626 Post(s)

amp and sub are ok box is tuned to high..

KENWOOD X301 HU, PRECISION POWER Phantom 1000, FU 750 12, custom 2.11 cf ad ported tuned @ 36hz 30.375 port area, soundqubed 6.5" coax xover (hu), AGM starting batt... FU 750 destroying my spoiler https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joeeCIZJpUs pioneer 3003 videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTcgVGvuFX8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI4yGDqN27g
    boomintahoe gets on me for spelling lol..
    Tyou n ever xhappyx...i have bmy 15's rockin tho...@ 1 ohm htoo.

10. Thanks jdubu thanked for this post
    Boomin_tahoe is online now Hurtin' feelings errrday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4888 Post(s)

Sup everyone

I have been without bass for some time... I came upon some hard times and had to sell my much-loved DEH-80PRs, Sundown X12, focal mids/highs, focal amp & JL Amp...

However I'm looking to get back into the game finally, but I'm on a much stricter budget than before. I hate budget stuff... it seems so hit or miss these days.

I really love my car, and want to take good care of it. I'm used to buying cheap beater cars for $1000-$2000 bucks and abusing the **** out of them. I don't want to put any strain on my new cars electrical system, but it only has an 80Amp stock alt. I don't have money for a $270 high output alt, batteries, and the sound equipment. My budget is around $500 and I'm shooting for max SPL.

What I've been considering so far, after much research is this:
    • Rockford Fosgate P1-2X12 500 Watts Dual Rms Subwoofer Enclosure
    • Rockford Fosgate R500X1D Prime 1-Channel Class D Amplifier
    • Pioneer FXT-X7269BT Package: CD Receiver Double Din, Pair 6.5" 2-Way & Pair 6"x9" 3-Way Speakers

They say that a car generally will use 40 to 60% of the amperage that the stock alt puts out. The middle range would say I have about 500W to work with... Not a whole lot. So getting the most SPL out of that is going to be tricky. Any advice is much appreciated.
    Where are you in WA?

97 4 dr. Tahoe
    Optima redtop
    Alpine 9835
    Polk Audio MM6501 comps
    Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500D & 4.500 amps
    2 Sundown Audio X 15's Tuned @ 30Hz.
    Knukonceptz/Royal Excelene wiring

jdubu is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

First of all, thanks for all the responses. I didn't expect so much feedback so soon.

I don't have a lot of time before work so I'll have to be brief...

Quote Originally Posted by shredder1 View Post
    Unless you are planning to play tones, music is dynamic and your battery should handle the draw due to it's reserves... I wouldn't worry too much... at the worst you'll need to upgrade you battery... do the Big 3 and run sufficient gauge power wire and I think you'll be ok... I put a similar setup in my son's Focus and his electrical did fine... he is a college student and bought the base model so I'm assuming that the alt is not very big... factory battery as well.. same RP800.1 at 1 ohm and a small 2 ch for the highs... no dimming is apparent and it stays above 12V... that amp is not THAT big.
    I'm aware that music is dynamic. But AGM batteries are not cheap, even crap ones. That's upping the budget by at least $150. Though batteries are a necessary part of maintenance for the car. So this is negotiable if all that is needed is a good battery. I'm hesitant to buy an XS battery because for one they are close to $300, and then you have to buy special mounting equipment & accessories that are ridiculously overpriced. *sigh*

Please advise exactly what sort of specs/battery would be good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by k5james View Post
    What are you asking man? If it's opinions on your choices I'm not a fan of using coaxes as your main speakers unless you have space constraints. Buying separate speakers will usually get you better bang for your buck.

My go to budget setup right now is...

Pioneer MVH-X580BS - $90 (who needs CDs)
    knock off Alpine SPX Pro tweets on ebay - $40
    SB17NRX 6.5 mids - $100
    I don't know how to be any clearer about what I'm asking without specifics lol

As for mids/highs, I really don't care much about the highs. In fact, I tend to like a little less highs.
    I was very happy with a pair of Alpine Type S mids and I found a pair for very cheap.
    So that being said, really the head-unit is more of an issue... I don't want to spend a hell of a lot on a DEH-80prs or similiar head unit which I'll never use half the features off because I'm not going to run 2 separate amps or a 3-way system.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffdachef View Post
    there is no "too much power" just because you have 800 doesnt mean you have to use all of it. Besides, after box rise, you'll be seeing closer to 300-400 watts rising to 2-3 ohms when wired to 1 ohm.

That pioneer package is garbage, your stock speakers will sound better. List a full budget and we'll let you know whats best. Because current choices are horrible except the skar.

BTW i had a 2003 corolla. You can easily put a true 1000 watt monoblock(mines was a 1600 hifonics brutus at the time) and a 100x4 4 channel with just a big 3 upgrade and under the hood agm.

Of course there's such a thing as too much power. When the power get's close to 12V and therefor, close to dropping below 12V, that's too much power in my opinion.

Once again, there are tons of AGM batteries out there with varying amounts of power / storage capacity. What are you suggesting?

My full budget is $500. If I have to spend a bit more, so be it. But I don't want to blow $300 on a high output alternator or $300 on a XS battery + mounting hardware. Those two options are out the window. If the setup suggested is going to even get my car close to running at 12V, or make the lights dim, EVER. Then it's too much power. I care a hell of a lot more about my cars electronics.

Thank you for letting me know the pioneer package is garbage. I had my doubts about it... just too cheap to be good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomin_tahoe View Post
    Where are you in WA?
    I was in washington when I joined, but I moved to Oregon. I update my profile. I live in The Dalles, Oregon.

BOOMINGRANDPA is offline NOT TO OLD TO BASS

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1626 Post(s)

get agm at advance on there website save 20-25% and they'll install it..

KENWOOD X301 HU, PRECISION POWER Phantom 1000, FU 750 12, custom 2.11 cf ad ported tuned @ 36hz 30.375 port area, soundqubed 6.5" coax xover (hu), AGM starting batt... FU 750 destroying my spoiler https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joeeCIZJpUs pioneer 3003 videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTcgVGvuFX8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI4yGDqN27g
    boomintahoe gets on me for spelling lol..
    Tyou n ever xhappyx...i have bmy 15's rockin tho...@ 1 ohm htoo.

14. Thanks jdubu thanked for this post
    shredder1 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    718 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shredder1 View Post
    Let me reiterate... IMO that's not gonna tax your electrical too much... a rp 800.1 is not going to draw too much... my kids car does fine with a stock battery and alt... base model Focus

The Budget Beater Blazer Build... Lookin' for those Basshead Problems!

16. Thanks jdubu thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6852 Post(s)

Of course there's such a thing as too much power. When the power get's close to 12V and therefor, close to dropping below 12V, that's too much power in my opinion.

Once again, there are tons of AGM batteries out there with varying amounts of power / storage capacity. What are you suggesting?

My full budget is $500. If I have to spend a bit more, so be it. But I don't want to blow $300 on a high output alternator or $300 on a XS battery + mounting hardware. Those two options are out the window. If the setup suggested is going to even get my car close to running at 12V, or make the lights dim, EVER. Then it's too much power. I care a hell of a lot more about my cars electronics.
    Again there is no such thing. You dont have to use all 800 watts. Its all in the gain setting. I can run a 10,000 watt amp on a stock setup and never encounter any real issues as long as I'm smart about the gain. You aren't setting the gain for the full 10k watts, you play music and raise the gain up until your voltages are at most dropping to low mid 12 volts on the hardest basslines.

It'll be the same with any setup you have so no there is no such thing as too big of an amp power wise.

So for your setup

80$
    This head unit is 4 volt pre-out, 13 band eq, has time alignment and NETWORK mode. Just no cds but the bluetooth and usb is just as good imo. 80 dollars and includes install gear aka dash kits and wiring harness. This head unit will set you up to have a very good front stage speaker setup with it's network mode
    https://www.crutchfield.com/S-cUSava...D-X340BTS.html

100$
    these tweeters and mids are the budget choice for high quality good for an active setup.
    https://www.parts-express.com/peerle...eter--264-1014
    https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...1/2-wool-cone/

125$
    4 channel amp with plenty of power.
    https://www.amazon.com/Soundstream-T.../dp/B009NLNY14

100$
    subwoofer
    SoundQubed HDS2.115

95$
    I know its boss but this legit does a 900 watt at 1 ohm on the amp dyno, plenty of power. Of course you dont have to use all of it. Just set gains till your voltages only dip to 12.4 to 12.5 volts. Your stock corolla should handle this and the 4 channel just fine.
    https://www.amazon.com/BOSS-Audio-AR.../dp/B004RS9UTI

Thats 500$ right on the dot and you have a full system. Probably another 100 for box materials and wiring, Build your own box or else it'll be costly. Free design plans everywhere.

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS................................Mids/Highs amp: CT 500.2, ppi 600.2, ppi 900.4 bridged
    Front stage: Two PWX 10s per door midbass only....... PRV 6MR500 midrange....... Massive CT 2 german tweeters.
    320 amp Singer alt....... 1 group 34 under the hood 6 group31 agms in the back 560 amp hours total.

18. Thanks jdubu thanked for this post
    Likes jdubu, blazian87 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4888 Post(s)

First of all, thanks for all the responses. I didn't expect so much feedback so soon.

I don't have a lot of time before work so I'll have to be brief...

I'm aware that music is dynamic. But AGM batteries are not cheap, even crap ones. That's upping the budget by at least $150. Though batteries are a necessary part of maintenance for the car. So this is negotiable if all that is needed is a good battery. I'm hesitant to buy an XS battery because for one they are close to $300, and then you have to buy special mounting equipment & accessories that are ridiculously overpriced. *sigh*

Please advise exactly what sort of specs/battery would be good enough.

I don't know how to be any clearer about what I'm asking without specifics lol

As for mids/highs, I really don't care much about the highs. In fact, I tend to like a little less highs.
    I was very happy with a pair of Alpine Type S mids and I found a pair for very cheap.
    So that being said, really the head-unit is more of an issue... I don't want to spend a hell of a lot on a DEH-80prs or similiar head unit which I'll never use half the features off because I'm not going to run 2 separate amps or a 3-way system.

Thank you for letting me know the pioneer package is garbage. I had my doubts about it... just too cheap to be good.

I was in washington when I joined, but I moved to Oregon. I update my profile. I live in The Dalles, Oregon.
    That's voltage drop....irrelevant to too much power. That's part of your electrical that something is wrong or needs improvement.

97 4 dr. Tahoe
    Optima redtop
    Alpine 9835
    Polk Audio MM6501 comps

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6852 Post(s)

That's voltage drop....irrelevant to too much power. That's part of your electrical that something is wrong or needs improvement.
    or turn the gain down till your voltages are at least battery resting voltage. Did that for my buddy's jeep setup, completely stock with an fsd 2600.1 and a JL 6 channel. Still hit pretty **** good on pure stock. No issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4888 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffdachef View Post
    or turn the gain down till your voltages are at least battery resting voltage. Did that for my buddy's jeep setup, completely stock with an fsd 2600.1 and a JL 6 channel. Still hit pretty **** good on pure stock. No issues.
    Right, that too. That'll go in the "needs improvement" side lol

---------- Post added at 10:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

Heyyy did you edit your post, or put the rest in white?!

97 4 dr. Tahoe
    Optima redtop
    Alpine 9835
    Polk Audio MM6501 comps

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6852 Post(s)

Right, that too. That'll go in the "needs improvement" side lol

---------- Post added at 10:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

Heyyy did you edit your post, or put the rest in white?!
    If you are talking about me quoting him, I just deleted parts that weren't related.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast