+ Reply to Thread

Reload Thread: Quality budget system (same or better than my previous one!)

01325ci is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Icon14 Quality budget system (same or better than my previous one!)

Hello everyone, first post here!

So lets see how I am going to explain this, I built this budget system in 2014 after much research and recommendations in the forums (South America). It was the first and only system I ever did and I just LOVED it! quality was amazing and perfect for me, unfortunately I had to sell the car/everything and have been wanting it back since then.

I need recommendations for an equivalent/slight better system than this one I had, I would buy exactly the same components if I had a chance, but German Maestro seems kind unknown here in US.. (I think they did all the "magic") and others are just out of production.. plus I am sure there is better options/models available since 2014.. I just never looked into it since then.

Well here it is:
    HU: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X595
    2-Way-Component-System: German Maestro Concept CS6508
    Amplifier: Rockford Fosgate Prime R300-4 class A/B
    Sub: 10" Rockford Fosgate Prime R1S410 w/ custom sealed box following their recommended specs
    Both front doors prepared with sound deadening 2x layers
    RCA, good cables, etc

I will highly appreciate any help on this!

BOOMINGRANDPA is offline YEAH I'M A CHEAP BAST*RD

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1300 Post(s)

Re: Quality budget system (same or better than my previous one!)

is it for car or truck? most here do ported boxes, if u can do bigger box ported is much louder and u can get much better sub than the rockford.. will u be using any of that equpiment or is it all gone? i like my $130 kenwood hu has bt, usb, time alignment 20 audio settings..

KENWOOD X301 HU , PRECISION POWER Phantom 1000, FU 750 12 (prefab until box is built) , soundqubed 6.5" coax, xover (hu) AGM starting batt. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTcgVGvuFX8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI4yGDqN27g

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BOOMINGRANDPA View Post
    is it for car or truck? most here do ported boxes, if u can do bigger box ported is much louder and u can get much better sub than the rockford.. will u be using any of that equpiment or is it all gone? i like my $130 kenwood hu has bt, usb, time alignment 20 audio settings..
    It is a car, coupe 2001 bmw 325i w/ 12 speakers harman kardon audio that doesn't sound even close to this single kit I had.. and yes everything is gone.. It doesn't need to be louder either, this is not my intention, it will be most for me/interior aiming audio quality. I was thinking to maybe use the car's oem HU/amplifier but I just like the idea of running new wires + disabling all that "premium" thing that is in there..

hispls is online now CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3614 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 01325ci View Post
    It is a car, coupe 2001 bmw 325i w/ 12 speakers harman kardon audio that doesn't sound even close to this single kit I had.. and yes everything is gone.. It doesn't need to be louder either, this is not my intention, it will be most for me/interior aiming audio quality. I was thinking to maybe use the car's oem HU/amplifier but I just like the idea of running new wires + disabling all that "premium" thing that is in there..
    It is as likely as not that the great sound in your old car had more to do with you properly deadening the doors and a bit of luck that the car just had good mounting locations.

AFAIK Rockford still makes the prime line, though I wouldn't touch them. I tried a couple of the Prime series amps back when they first came out 90-91 I think and they were absolute junk build quality compared to Punch and Power lines.

That said, if you liked them, stay with Rockford. Alpine (stick with type R series) and JBL/Infinity make great speakers for a fair price. Kenwood still makes quality receivers though you might look into Pioneer DEH-PRS80, the PRS80 has a lot of processing/eq options built in and is a great source unit and the price on them is absurdly low these days considering what they do.

Pretty much anything modern will be an upgrade from a 2001 stock audio system and I'd highly suggest replacing the factory head unit.... as often as not, they'll be the weak link.

BOOMINGRANDPA is offline YEAH I'M A CHEAP BAST*RD

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1300 Post(s)

lots of guys get their stuff at this site ssa.com.. u will have to make sure sub will work in sealed box before buying cause many aren't designed for that now just ask here (traffic here just slow today) sundown, twisted sound, ssa, synergy, us acoustic, orion xtr amps are good Subs - SHOP BY SIZE - 12" Subwoofers - Page 1 - SSA STORE

KENWOOD X301 HU , PRECISION POWER Phantom 1000, FU 750 12 (prefab until box is built) , soundqubed 6.5" coax, xover (hu) AGM starting batt. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTcgVGvuFX8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI4yGDqN27g

bandit_kb is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

Agree with hispls. Avoid the prime series. Look into Dayton audio or image dynamics for a subwoofer. Both are pretty reasonable with their prices

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Thanks everyone for the replies!

To be honest I am not too worried about the sub/amplifier, I see them as just bass/power and anything decent will do... I am just trying to get the same experience as it really felt like an hifi system, the tweeters were amazing! they had a metallic sound that is hard to explain, I remember playing 192kHz-24bit files and it felt like an live orchestra inside the car, my gf loved it too.

I can only think about the built quality of that german maestro kit, I guess it did 99% of the magic, so to restate my question I am posting some pics with their components/specs (the HU too), maybe some expert can translate them in what would perform same/better nowadays...

+ Reply to Thread